Author Topic: Wilderness Medicine Courses  (Read 4401 times)

Offline Nate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Rookie Registered Nurse
Wilderness Medicine Courses
« on: October 18, 2008, 09:46:59 PM »
This might be helpful when the SHTF.  I have been certified in Wilderness First Responder (WFR) for 6 years.  WFR courses are designed for people who might find themselves in a situation when more advanced medical care is hours or days away.  The course teaches all the skills with a focus on improvising equipment and supplies.  This is a very valuable skill in a SHTF scenario when medical equipment might be in short supply or if it is unknown when more advanced medical care will be available.  There are three main companies who offer this training.  They are Wilderness Medical Associates, SOLO and Wilderness Medicine Institute.  There are probably other companies out there, these three are ones that I am the most familiar with.   However, WFR certification is a 9 day intense course and has a price tag of 600 - 800 bucks.

There is another option called Wilderness First Aid.  This one covers the basics of wilderness medicine with the emphasis on improv. and what to do when help is hours or days away.  It is not as intense and does not cover as much information as the First Responder.  It is usually taught over a weekend and cost varies, but I havent seen a course more expensive than 500.  If you have the time and money and really want to be prepared go for the WFR.  If not, go for the Wilderness First Aid.  I have had both trainings and I would go for the first responder.  Below are some links for more info.

http://www.wildmed.com/

http://www.soloschools.com/

http://www.nols.edu/wmi/

ENJOY!! 

Nate

Offline 19kilo

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: Wilderness Medicine Courses
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 10:12:05 PM »
Very cool,  Thanks for the links.  If you don't mind, do you work in a medical related field? 

Offline Nate

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 08:12:32 AM »
I do not work in the medical field.  I lead wilderness trips in the summer time and I need to have the wilderness first responder certification for employment.  I thought about being a nurse once.   :D

Offline Lawyerman

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 08:51:17 AM »
Western Rifle Shooters puts on a grid down medicine course that is very worth the money.

Michael Masse

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 06:11:10 PM »
Good stuff.  In reading the James Wesley Rawles book "Patriots" their is a scenario were a gal needs to treat another gal for a gunshot wound.  It could be a real world situation in the event professional care is not available.

I thought it was great that they new everyones blood type and drew blood from a couple donors to replace what the gal had lost and I thought it was cool that their medical kit included souchers to sew up the arteries and the wound.

I'm thinking we would do well to get some training along these lines and to include these items in a first aid kit.

Offline Nate

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2009, 06:25:27 AM »
This post is coming all the way from Malaysia!  I am in the country for awhile on holiday.  I just finished my Wilderness First Responder course 2 weeks ago.  I only missed 1 question on the exam.  Who wants to get injured??  HAHA!  If you can find one of these courses I HIGHLY recommend it!!

Offline PBRstreetgang

• Survivor
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2009, 04:38:58 PM »
+1 on the WFR courses.  I get my certification about two years ago and will be taking the recert course in May.  If you have the time (and money), I would highly recommend the WFR course over the WFA; it's much more involved with tons of practical exercises (to include a course-end simulation in a wilderness environment).  I hope to get my EMT-B someday, but just can't manage to find the time.

I spent five years in the military and rarely did I see the caliber of instructors that WMI has; another reason to recommend NOLS/WMI over their competitors.  If you check the links above you can also see that the courses are offered at multiple locations around the country, allowing you to save those precious $$ by not having to travel if the class comes to your town.

Offline Asclepius

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Klaatu barada nikto.
    • Prep Roll
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2009, 01:53:28 AM »
Just as an extra little tidbit of info... as far as scope of practice goes, there's not much an EMT-Basic can do that a First Responder can't. For the amount of schooling vs. skills learned FR can't be beat.

FR's also have an advantage in Oregon of being allowed to legally work under a limited scope of practice without a medical director (supervising physician), whereas I, as a paramedic, may only work under the extended license of a supervising physician.

Crazy!

Offline Alan Halcon

• Survivor
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2009, 09:19:26 AM »
The Red Cross offers a Wilderness First Aid course that is 16 hours in length and costs, depending on the outfit, between 80 to 150 dollars. You'll have to check with your local chapter to see if they, or some they know, offer it.

Alan

Offline Tennessee Mountaineer

• Prepper
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2009, 05:43:13 AM »
http://www.landmarklearning.org/
This school offers WFR, and a EMT-B/WEMT course as a month long intensive after which you recieve N.C EMT-B cert. National registry EMT-B cert and WEMT cert through WMI. The school is located in Sylva NC Asheville. Course runs near 3000$. I will be attending this May/June. I'll let you know what it's like.