Author Topic: New 8Watt Boafeng  (Read 6257 times)

Offline frankd4

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
New 8Watt Boafeng
« on: August 14, 2014, 10:23:00 AM »
Baofeng has new 8 Watt HT check it out.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=baofeng%208hp
Ordered one to test I will let everyone know.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
Re: New 8Watt Boafeng
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 12:17:04 PM »
Twice the power equals way less than 10% gain in ability to talk distance...true 10% is a number I pulled out of my head...BUT POWER IS LITTLE ADVANTAGE ON VHF/UHF and most will not notice a gain..unless you count how fast a battery goes to zero. The real limit to VHF/UHF is the antenna ,the antenna height above terrain being most important. Most repeaters that sound like thousands of watts at even 50 miles distance actually average about 20 watts to the antenna. True ,one may find a rare case where the 8 watts seems to help but that is 3 DB...the minimal discernible change in signal strength for FM.And at a cost to battery life and HEAT...the real enema to electronics...I mean enemy,buy pretty much the same effect.

Now, Please prove me wrong.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 12:28:35 PM »
If it was closer to the $40 price point of the 4-5watt version I'd get them instead of a uv5r.  I don't have expectations of a big functional improvement, but it's still relatively cheap to buy.
I don't have any buyers remorse for the pair of UV5RE I got @ $36 a piece.  I'd rather have 2, than 1 with a little more watts for $5 less than I spent.  Just my $0.02.

To borrow from NutNFancy, my "philosophy of use" for any cheap HT are similar to $1 LED flashlights, or $1 pocket knives.  They are so inexpensive, it's worth having a couple. If someone came out with a $2 flashlight that had 2x the lumens compared to the $1 one, it's still not a SureFire or FourSevens. 

Carl, I don't think Frank necessarily presumed any great new capability with 4 extra watts.  The news is that BaoFeng's are now a little more powerful, if only on paper.
Just I don't plan on TX outside the ham bands, but with the BaoFeng I *could*, and I must admit that's a redeeming feature of the radios.

Offline TexasGirl

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Simple country farm girl. Prepper? What's that?
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 12:55:50 PM »
I'd be more impressed if they added a stupid simple squelch knob.  Or made the front keyboard on-the-fly programming more complete and easier.  Or maybe add 220 band, or 6 meters.

Twice the power is 3dB gain.  Buy a upgrade antenna and get that much gain on both transmit AND receive for $10.

~TG

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 01:01:20 PM »
I'd be more impressed if they added a stupid simple squelch knob.  Or made the front keyboard on-the-fly programming more complete and easier.  Or maybe add 220 band, or 6 meters.

Twice the power is 3dB gain.  Buy a upgrade antenna and get that much gain on both transmit AND receive for $10.

~TG

The UV82X is 2 meters/220 band and is being used by many HAMs in my area.

http://www.amazon.com/BaoFeng-UV-82X-Warranty-Dual-Band-Transceiver/dp/B00GFAJPC8/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1408042848&sr=1-1&keywords=uv82x

Offline SCWolverine

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2014, 01:07:38 PM »
I just got the 8HP listed in my Amazon Webstore....$62 with free shipping-no too bad I guess.

I like the B5 better than the 82 (it's wonky dual PTT didn't agree with my hands)

like Smurf said, for what they cost they are good to have!  and if you want a free HT you might as well sign-up on the Podcast website for the drawing coming up...

Offline TexasGirl

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Simple country farm girl. Prepper? What's that?

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2014, 01:56:47 PM »
Here is a 10 watt HT with 256 channel memory and a 3000 mah battery for $56 at time of posting.
They even state the range is up to 3.5 miles in good conditions....TWENTY WATT HT must be just around the corner...
with the 50 pound battery pack... :o

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LFEUH8U?psc=1

Offline frankd4

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2014, 05:11:55 PM »
just posting the news of the new model, I replace the antennas with the MFJ 1717 seems to improve TX and RX, I like chasing the Sats I'll try it out and let you know.

Offline backwoods_engineer

• Survivalist Mentor
  • An engineer trying to get back to the woods
    • Backwoods Engineer's Blog
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2014, 12:07:23 AM »
Twice the power equals way less than 10% gain in ability to talk distance...true 10% is a number I pulled out of my head..

Pulled from the Friis range equation: twice the power (3 dB) provides only a 40% increase in range... under IDEAL, line of sight conditions.  Generally less on VHF/UHF as Carl pointed out, because of antenna losses, reflections, etc.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2014, 06:44:22 AM »
I am still interested in the test results of the receiver/transmitter quality as even if it is a battery HOG ...it does not have to run flat out all of the time .

Offline frankd4

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2014, 10:32:33 AM »
Been using this unit with the extended battery and MFJ-1717  antenna for over a week now and it seems to be better radio than the 5ur as I have not had any intermod issues and can average about two days on the battery, it's just my day to day experience not like the guy with the negative review on Amazon that has a shop that does not sell the Baofeng's; like I said just personal experience up to now.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2014, 10:34:43 AM »
Been using this unit with the extended battery and MFJ-1717  antenna for over a week now and it seems to be better radio than the 5ur as I have not had any intermod issues and can average about two days on the battery, it's just my day to day experience not like the guy with the negative review on Amazon that has a shop that does not sell the Baofeng's; like I said just personal experience up to now.

Glad to hear that it has more going for it than just power...
Do you notice the power as a helpful thing?

Offline frankd4

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2014, 12:39:51 PM »
I can get to the repeaters from work that I was not able to access before TX and RX are much improved I would have to say that the extra 4 Watts has made the difference to me all I can talk about is what I have experienced personally no more no less.