Author Topic: 2014-15 Deer Season Thread  (Read 19136 times)

Niccolum

2014-15 Deer Season Thread
« on: October 04, 2014, 11:58:56 AM »
So the time is more or less here depending on where you live for..... deer season! Here in Pennsylvania, today was the state-wide opening of archery for antlered and antlerless. Post your progress, agony, and success against that must elusive whitetail or mule deer.

I was on post at 6:30am. Hunting a new field this year and didn't have any time to walk it before the season to find runs or a place to climbing stand. So this morning I trekked in, found some runs in the dark, and sat in a chair on the ground in a small clear spot with some views into the center of the field - the brush is thick, about 3-4ft high in most places. Amazingly, I setup shop right on a active run and within 2 hours six buck were in the field. One was a huge 4x4 at just short of 20yds. I was standing and drawn on him but I needed him to take another two steps out of the brush before I could get a clean vitals shot. However, either I twitched or he smelled me. He stopped, stared at me for about a minute, then snorted in alarm and took off. The five other all took off too. Would have been the biggest deer of my life and on opening day of archery nonetheless! Didn't see anything for another 2.5 hours and decided to scout for a stand location. I came across a bedded down 3x3 making an amazing seven buck total for one morning. Not a single doe though, which is odd for around here as there's a veritable army of them. Finally found a good stand tree - lots of smaller scrub trees clogging the perimeter - but it's hard to get to. Might need to make another recon. Good morning, but I'm sorely disappointed I couldn't get the big guy.

Note: My region of PA is "four on one side" for buck so all of the littler 3x3s and spikes aren't shooters except for youth hunters.

Offline riverbend_rich

• Senior Survivalist
  • Garden, Hunt, DIY (MSB)
    • Ada Music Center (music store, band instrument repair)
Re: 2014-15 Deer Season Thread
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2014, 10:14:09 PM »
went out this morning with great anticipation!!!!! Saw a cottontail and froze. It was 37 this morning and I was not prepared to sit in the cold this soon! My anticipation is due to the fact I have a chance of seeing a black bear. Us okies do have bears just not this far west. We have a bear season in the Far East counties but it is almost in heard of to see one in Seminole county. But I went to put out my game camera a few weeks ago and found my feeder laying on its side with claw marks on it. Also a local oilfield pumper I ran across reminded me of the one caught in a hog trap a few years ago that was just 2 miles from where I hunt. So I  packing a little heat with me during Boe season( legal with cc permit in ok btw)

What do ya'll think???

nelson96

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2014, 01:21:54 PM »
went out this morning with great anticipation!!!!! Saw a cottontail and froze. It was 37 this morning and I was not prepared to sit in the cold this soon! My anticipation is due to the fact I have a chance of seeing a black bear. Us okies do have bears just not this far west. We have a bear season in the Far East counties but it is almost in heard of to see one in Seminole county. But I went to put out my game camera a few weeks ago and found my feeder laying on its side with claw marks on it. Also a local oilfield pumper I ran across reminded me of the one caught in a hog trap a few years ago that was just 2 miles from where I hunt. So I  packing a little heat with me during Boe season( legal with cc permit in ok btw)

What do ya'll think???

Black bears on my side of the woods are usually nothing to fear unless it's a momma w/ cubs.  On the most part they are very skidish of people and I've never known one to hunt down a person.  That said, I do pack a pistol when I hunt. . .  Complacency is what gets you hurt.  Always be aware and prepared for the worst.

Offline backwoods_engineer

• Survivalist Mentor
  • An engineer trying to get back to the woods
    • Backwoods Engineer's Blog
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 07:18:34 AM »
Bow season starts Oct 15 in my part of Alabama.  I'm a gun hunter, so unless I get hold of a crossbow or a primitive firearm, I am going to have to wait until thanksgiving.

However, I have already started walking the deer lease, and there is sign everywhere.  Have seen 2 does in the two Saturdays I've walked the land.

Offline BamaPrepper

• Prepper
  • I tried to be reasonable...I didn't like it....
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2014, 05:43:12 AM »
backwoods_engineer,
Where abouts in Alabama?  My parents live in Perry County and I am heading over that way on the 19th to do a few days of bow hunting on a friends land....I haven't gotten to scout much, but this land always has a ridiculous amount of activity, so I am hopeful!!

Bamaprepper

Offline backwoods_engineer

• Survivalist Mentor
  • An engineer trying to get back to the woods
    • Backwoods Engineer's Blog
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2014, 06:44:12 AM »
BamaPrepper, I am about 2 hours further east; I hunt in Elmore and Macon counties.

Offline ID_Joker

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2014, 06:59:50 AM »
Archery season here was 6-30 Sep.  Saw lots of deer; even had a bunch within range.  Didn't shoot any because all the good shots were does with fawns.  Deer are on hiatus until tomorrow when rifle opens.  Hopefully I'll be in a stand by afternoon.

Niccolum

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2014, 06:40:44 PM »
I've been out twice more and nothing...  >:(  Anyone having better luck?

Offline ID_Joker

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2014, 08:04:50 PM »
Got deer #1 on Friday afternoon.  Took Sat off.  Deer #2 this morning.  Will post pic in successful hunting photos thread as soon as I have a chance to download.  Back out tomorrow to see if I can bag an elk.

d3nni5

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2014, 07:51:22 AM »

Three day stretch of Doe season here in WV starts today.   I couldn't leave yesterday.   Taking half a day today and all day tomorrow.   Have to be on private land for this early 3-day stretch.   Going down to my buddy's cabin.   Wish me luck.

nelson96

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2014, 07:56:14 AM »
Good luck MSP.

I just found out that I have to cut a couple of days out of my elk hunt in order to get back in time to fly to Boston for a weeks worth of training. . . .  The wife was pleased to hear that she is going to see me for only a few hours of a few hours between a 17 day stretch.

d3nni5

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2014, 08:01:16 AM »
Good luck MSP.

I just found out that I have to cut a couple of days out of my elk hunt in order to get back in time to fly to Boston for a weeks worth of training. . . .  The wife was pleased to hear that she is going to see me for only a few hours of a few hours between a 17 day stretch.

Got the Savage tuned up Nelson!   :)   She's still a virgin though, got to get something with her list year!   Buy your wife something nice in Boston, she'll understand :).   I used to live there, been awhile since I visited, but if you are in the mood for Italian food, the North End has plenty of choices.   

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2014, 08:29:58 AM »
I am still waiting for pictures guys!!

I know they are out there, I saw a 4-point buck (8 for you Eastern guys) on my way home from EMR class the other night.

Cedar

d3nni5

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2014, 08:56:30 AM »
I am still waiting for pictures guys!!

I know they are out there, I saw a 4-point buck (8 for you Eastern guys) on my way home from EMR class the other night.

Cedar

I have seen a momma w/ her kids a few times on our trail cam.

d3nni5

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2014, 09:01:42 AM »

And this guy is out in MO, where a friend hunts.

Offline Ranger Dave

• Survivor
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2014, 08:57:07 PM »
Four days into muzzleloader season my uncle has two does and I have one, missed my second doe this morning. We can get two does and buck apiece.  Five days left in season.

Offline riverbend_rich

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2014, 09:03:51 PM »
Four days into muzzleloader season my uncle has two does and I have one, missed my second doe this morning. We can get two does and buck apiece.  Five days left in season.
Good luck! What area of the world are ya'll in?

I'm hoping to finally get out Saturday, it's muzzle loader season here in OK too , but I'll just take my crossbow

Offline Ranger Dave

• Survivor
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2014, 06:02:27 AM »
RiverBend I am west of Bartlesville. We are hoping the cooler weather will start the deer moving.

Offline DDJ

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2014, 11:04:52 AM »
Here in Ohio our bow season started on Sept 27.  Opening morning I got busted on my way into the woods by 4 does and fawns.  2 Weeks later I had a great large Doe materialize at 50 yards, surprise.  Last Saturday I have 7 does and fawns in the field above me.  One small doe got as close as 44 Yards.  The Big Doe stayed out at 60Yards or so.  She left the group and moved around me so she could wind me, but that was more than 30 minutes after sunset (our end of day).

Good luck to all.  Keep sharing especially the frustrations, so we can all know that we are not alone.

I am looking forward to Gun season (first week of December) the ODNR has decided to allow straight walled cartridge rifles, in select calibers.  I will be trying a 45ACP carbine.  Any ammunition recommendations?  I am thinking Remington HTS at 1000FPS and 185Grain or the +P versions at 230GR but only 850 FPS.

Offline Ranger Dave

• Survivor
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2014, 08:15:03 PM »
Shot a 5 point buck this evening. Got it skinned and quartered sitting in the cooler waiting to be finished tomorrow. Uncle & I can still get a doe apiece tomorrow.

RD

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2014, 08:47:19 PM »
Got a pic? And is this an Eastern 5-point or a Western 5-point?

Cedar

Offline Ranger Dave

• Survivor
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2014, 09:32:29 PM »
No camera, eastern 5 point 3 on left 2 on right. Two year field dressed about 85-90 lbs. Nothing spectacular but considering we hadn't anything since Tuesday.

RD

Offline lastchance83

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2014, 06:47:42 AM »
Here in Ohio our bow season started on Sept 27.  Opening morning I got busted on my way into the woods by 4 does and fawns.  2 Weeks later I had a great large Doe materialize at 50 yards, surprise.  Last Saturday I have 7 does and fawns in the field above me.  One small doe got as close as 44 Yards.  The Big Doe stayed out at 60Yards or so.  She left the group and moved around me so she could wind me, but that was more than 30 minutes after sunset (our end of day).

Good luck to all.  Keep sharing especially the frustrations, so we can all know that we are not alone.

I am looking forward to Gun season (first week of December) the ODNR has decided to allow straight walled cartridge rifles, in select calibers.  I will be trying a 45ACP carbine.  Any ammunition recommendations?  I am thinking Remington HTS at 1000FPS and 185Grain or the +P versions at 230GR but only 850 FPS.

Hornady makes a 45 auto +p  230 gr xtp in there custom line.  960 fps muzzle, 908 fps 50 yds,  872 fps 100 yds.   If you live in NE Ohio  I found this at Fin Fur Feather in Ashland.    For 45 acp you are going to want the heaviest fastest round possible,  185 is a little light.

good luck,
happy hunting

Offline lastchance83

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2014, 07:58:54 AM »
I also found that buffalo bore makes a 255 gr hard cast +p that boasts 925 fps.  Looks like this would be a hammer for 45 acp. 

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/248742/buffalo-bore-ammunition-45-acp-p-255-grain-hard-cast-flat-nose-box-of-20

Here is a link to the hornady ammo I mentioned above that I use.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/155424/hornady-custom-ammunition-45-acp-p-230-grain-xtp-jacketed-hollow-point-box-of-20

Offline SOprep

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2014, 10:18:01 AM »
I was able to get out this past weekend for the first time in over 7 years.  I had a wonderful time camping and connecting with old friends.  I got completely skunked, only saw does, but enjoyed my time in the woods.  I did discover that I need to get in better shape, the same pack and the same hikes I did 7 years ago just about wiped me out.  Next year I will put in more time scouting and prepare over the next year to be in better shape so I can get further afield.

d3nni5

« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2014, 10:21:27 AM »
I was able to get out this past weekend for the first time in over 7 years.  I had a wonderful time camping and connecting with old friends.  I got completely skunked, only saw does, but enjoyed my time in the woods.  I did discover that I need to get in better shape, the same pack and the same hikes I did 7 years ago just about wiped me out.  Next year I will put in more time scouting and prepare over the next year to be in better shape so I can get further afield.

I had similar feelings and experience, except I'm fairly much a noob hunter.   I have A LOT to learn.

Offline SOprep

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2014, 10:29:49 AM »
I would consider myself a noob as well.  I went for two years about 7 years ago and enjoyed myself but then life got in the way, etc.  I recently found out I am going to be a father and have decided to make a concerted effort to get back into the things I enjoy and would want to pass on to my child.  I went with more experienced people and am always up for advice from the forum as well.  I am hoping that scouting and getting into shape will be, at least partially, the same.  Meaning, doing hikes to scout with the same gear I would take hunting, minus the rifle, so as to acclimate myself to those 30 degree slopes and a pack.  My thighs sure do feel like jello this morning.

Offline riverbend_rich

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2014, 10:20:27 PM »
RiverBend I am west of Bartlesville. We are hoping the cooler weather will start the deer moving.
We sure got that colder weather! Now I just need time to get out!

Can't complain tho, I am hitting the tulsa arms show this Saturday. Not a bad reason to skip a hunt I guess. It is supposed to be the world largest gun show???

Offline kckndrgn

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Ryans Turnings
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2014, 05:57:51 AM »
Muzzle loader season opens this weekend for me.  I'll be in stand 1/2 hour before sunrise :)  FIL will be with me, he'll be using his bow.

Rifle season starts in 3 weeks.

Can't wait, especially when I've been getting these ladies on the trail cams
http://youtu.be/vMnNn9gkqvI

Offline 16onRockandRoll

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Prepper Wannabe
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2014, 12:59:24 PM »
 My season is over.  I didn't get to go much.  Opening day my buddy that I'm trying to get into hunting kicked my legs out from under me.  We were all set up to head out at 5am to a spot I had picked out last year about an hour and a half from home.  Halfway there, he says "Oh yeah, I forgot to tell you, I need to drop my car off for service at noon, so I need to be back by about 11:00".  I almost dropped him off on the side of the freeway.  He doesn't quite get that hunting isn't like most hobbies that you can do here and there, it takes a little dedication, at least a day at a time. 
 So that hunt got cut short, and the season started right about the time my wife went back to work from having the baby, and school started back up, so I had little time to get out to hunt.  My wife felt bad about opening day, so she arranged for me to have most of the next day to hunt a closer place I frequent.  I almost had a shot, but the trees were too thick, and he wasn't slowing down for me.  I got one more day the last weekend, and only saw a couple of does, so it's time to move on to birds and maybe save up and find a guided pig hunt.