Author Topic: 2014-15 Deer Season Thread  (Read 19127 times)

Offline oktheniknow

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: 2014-15 Deer Season Thread
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2014, 05:18:30 PM »
Don't mean to brag but we have seen several bucks and over a dozen turkeys on our property the past few weeks going after our pecans. If they show up again.. - https://www.dropbox.com/s/8vgnmsp7vez4z6c/deer1114.jpg?dl=0
This buck (when zooming on another photo, think it is a 12 point) and another, a 6 point.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1vpnss00zoxgdii/turkeys.jpg?dl=0
Had a backyard full of wild turkeys.

Offline riverbend_rich

• Senior Survivalist
  • Garden, Hunt, DIY (MSB)
    • Ada Music Center (music store, band instrument repair)
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2014, 09:22:57 PM »
Don't mean to brag but we have seen several bucks and over a dozen turkeys on our property the past few weeks going after our pecans. If they show up again.. - https://www.dropbox.com/s/8vgnmsp7vez4z6c/deer1114.jpg?dl=0
This buck (when zooming on another photo, think it is a 12 point) and another, a 6 point.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1vpnss00zoxgdii/turkeys.jpg?dl=0
Had a backyard full of wild turkeys.
Man that is awesome!!! I am very jealouse !!!

Niccolum

« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2014, 10:02:42 PM »
Fifth time's the charm??

I headed out this afternoon around 2pm to try to catch something during the late-day browse. A nice sized buck came within 30yds but I couldn't tell for sure if it was a 4x4 or a 3x3 (in PA has to be 4 on a side where I am). He meandered around in front of my stand for about 20 minutes after just out of range and I couldn't get him to respond to the grunt calls to come back to confirm.

Not long after he disappeared, another buck - a 2x2 - wandered into range and was leisurely trolling through the woods when a doe came over the ridge behind my stand. The buck went crazy after the doe and was driving her around in circles but farther and farther away from my stand. All of a sudden the doe took off on a beeline right for where I was sitting and stopped about 25yds out and gave me a great broadside shot. Ran about 50yds and laid down quietly.

First ever deer taken with a bow! It was well after dark by the time I could get to her and I couldn't get a good, usable picture.

One week left in Pennsylvania archery - hoping to get out next Saturday after the big buck.

Offline oktheniknow

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2014, 10:54:27 PM »
With neighbors not too far away on one side of our orchard, going to need to get me a good bow. Wife not crazy about shooting them but hey meat on the table.

Offline riverbend_rich

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2014, 06:02:07 AM »
Happy opening day of deer rifle to all my okie folks!!!!!

I'm out here even though it's raining pretty good...

Offline backwoods_engineer

• Survivalist Mentor
  • An engineer trying to get back to the woods
    • Backwoods Engineer's Blog
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2014, 04:03:58 PM »
Arrgh!  Frustrated deer hunter here.

In my part of AL, deer gun season has been open since 11/22.  Despite being out on the land every weekend, taking Fridays off to hunt, even hunting on Sunday morning, I have had only 1 opportunity to shoot at a deer, and that one was too young to take, so I held fire.

The good thing is, I'm not the only one in my club who hasn't gotten a deer yet.   The place is >1600 acres of mixed hardwood/pine forest, with lots of food plots, and there's got to be deer here; there are tracks everywhere.

I have been scouting on the land every weekend.  I've been getting there between 4am and 6am every day I've been out.  The one opportunity I've had to shoot a deer was a 6:30am, about 30 minutes after local sunrise.  The deer don't seem to be moving in the very early morning, or maybe I'm just not seeing them.

It seems like the patterns are changing faster than I can keep up. 

I don't have a deer camera, and no prospect of getting one until early January.  Our season ends at the end of January.  Rut is usually early in January.

Any advice?

Offline riverbend_rich

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2014, 11:14:07 PM »
Have you tried staying in the stand(or wherever your best spots are) right through noon? A lot of deer are taken a that time.  Or so I hear, I've never done it but some real pro hunter friends have. I also have more luck at dusk personally.

Offline kckndrgn

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Ryans Turnings
« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2014, 11:54:19 AM »
Got this little doe the last weekend of muzzle loader season.

Haven't seen anything since.  But I did meet the neighbor that hunts the property behind me.  His son shot a buck and they lost it, no blood trail.

I generally get in the stand 30 min before sunrise, when it's legal to start hunting. Stay for 3-4 hours then walk around and get something to eat.  back in the stand by 10-10:30 and say until 1-1:30, quick break then back in until sunset.

Got the above doe at 3:30. 

Now for the sad part of the story.  Shot the doe, she ran, fell, got up ran, fell and that was it.  Waited a  minute or so, then started to get down.  Just then 2 8-pt bucks come running by my stand, turn around and come back and loitered around my stand.  So there I am with an unloaded muzzle loader and 2 bucks standing under me.  I quickly, quietly reloaded.  Just as I got loaded and put the rifle to my shoulder someone near me started an ATV and spooked the deer.  Oh well, still have a few more weeks of rifle season still hoping to get something else for the freezer.

Offline riverbend_rich

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2014, 07:18:17 PM »
Sounds like you are putting in the time! Congrats on the camp meat and good luck looking for the wall hanger.

I'm on to duck season now that my wife and I each got a small doe.

Offline DDJ

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2014, 10:52:58 AM »
I filled the freezer with a Small Button buck, I thought it was a 2Year old doe, and a nice sized Doe (this was really a doe and likely a 4 Year old.  I did learn that it is actually all in shot placement.  The Buck shot with a hand loaded 12Ga slug (blueforce sabot slug) went 300 Yards, downhill.  The doe was shot with a 45ACP (XTP 230GR) went 60 Yards.  Both were shot at less than 40 Yards.

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2015, 07:35:01 AM »
Well, it's over in North/Central Alabama.
I hunted 19 days in gun season, on a 1600-acre place, from which 26 deer were harvested gun season, and 1 in bow season: 12 doe and the rest bucks of various rack sizes, by 20 hunters, of which only a dozen made kills.

And me: I got absolutely nothing.

Yes, I'm pretty disgusted.  Lease fees on this land are pretty high. I could have had at least a side of beef and probably half a hog in the freezer for what I paid in land lease fees and travel to and from the land (1-hr round trip).

I don't know if I will do this again next year. 

Maybe this is a survival skill I'm just not cut out for, despite my "country boy" upbringing.  But when I was a kid, there WERE NO DEER!  Nobody I knew hunted deer, because there were none where we lived.  Now, they're everywhere, cars are hitting them left and right, first-time hunters are going out one afternoon on the last day of season making kills (yes, a guy at work), and I got nothing.

Just disgusted, and had to vent.  Sorry, folks.

nelson96

« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2015, 08:25:42 AM »
That's a bummer B_E, don't give up.

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2015, 05:10:37 PM »
That's a bummer B_E, don't give up.

Where's the cost/benefit?  I'm not really having fun doing it, because I know it's not worth it.  Really, I'd rather be shooting my rifle, and for the cost of the deer lease, I can have a new rifle and a metric ton of ammo.  So, yeah, not seeing it.

nelson96

« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2015, 11:26:00 PM »
Where's the cost/benefit?  I'm not really having fun doing it, because I know it's not worth it.  Really, I'd rather be shooting my rifle, and for the cost of the deer lease, I can have a new rifle and a metric ton of ammo.  So, yeah, not seeing it.

Maybe you're going about it all wrong.  Cost/benefit is the LAST [meaning never] thing I look at when I think back to my hunts.

d3nni5

« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2015, 06:52:40 AM »
I only started hunting two years ago.   I've never got a deer.    I know I don't have my time in like others, but just saying.   My buddy also struck out this past year.   He gets at least one every year.   Tough times, but beats working.   Keep after it BE.   Maybe someplace closer?