Author Topic: Preferred storable milk option  (Read 15228 times)

Offline WhiteBear620

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Preferred storable milk option
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2015, 08:11:34 PM »
I realize this a little bit of a dead thread.
But are there any recommendations for lactose free milk for storing? DW is lactose intolerant, and I not a milk snob at all and can't taste the difference anymore any ways, so lactose free would be the only thing we're looking to store. We mostly use milk for cooking, very rarely for cereal.

Offline ShannonB

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Prepper Mom
    • B4Gear.net
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2015, 10:50:47 PM »
Following.

DH has developed a sour stomach and can't hardly drink milk right now, but that man loves a pb&j sammich in the middle of the night with a glass of cold milk, right now I'm keeping a huge box of lactade on hand.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2015, 11:13:50 PM »
I realize this a little bit of a dead thread.
But are there any recommendations for lactose free milk for storing? DW is lactose intolerant, and I not a milk snob at all and can't taste the difference anymore any ways, so lactose free would be the only thing we're looking to store. We mostly use milk for cooking, very rarely for cereal.

Well, they make a dry soymilk powder, you could repackage that. It is supposed to be decent. In addition get a few cases of the aseptic paks of her favorite non-dairy milk, I used to drink the unsweetened soymilk from traders joes, but Costco aslo has a reasonably priced soymilk. I like a soymilk like this on cereal or for cooking much more than the "rice" or "almond" pre-made milks.

Another way to do it is to store soybeans and buy a soymilk maker and just make it yourself and then you wont run out

Offline r_w

• Dedicated Contributor
  • On my way
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2015, 06:30:23 AM »
Are you worried about long or LONG term storage? The last tetrapak coconut milk I bought had a 2017 best by date, so it should last much longer in proper storage.  Coconut milk in a metal can should last even longer.

Online Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2015, 07:06:30 AM »
Are you worried about long or LONG term storage? The last tetrapak coconut milk I bought had a 2017 best by date, so it should last much longer in proper storage.  Coconut milk in a metal can should last even longer.

The end of the world must be just a bump in the road for some people....tetrapak coconut milk is a great choice.

Offline backwoods_engineer

• Survivalist Mentor
  • An engineer trying to get back to the woods
    • Backwoods Engineer's Blog
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2015, 09:26:08 AM »
Great thread.  I'm glad it came back "from the dead" or I never would have seen it.

Offline WhiteBear620

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2015, 10:32:55 AM »
I'm more looking to have a few put away in case we run out/milk goes bad in fridge, so a year or two in storage is perfect. I'll look into these, thanks guys.

Offline Gam in VA

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2015, 04:06:39 PM »
Hi.  I can recommend the little boxes of whipping cream that Trader Joe's sells.  They don't need to be refrigerated and they last for several years (literally) past their expiration dates.  Ask me how I know.  Anyway, even if expired by several years you just shake them a bit.  If necessary you can whisk them in a bowl.  I've used it in all kinds of ways whipped or not.  They will separate into a blob of butter and liquid as the years click by but just use the blob as butter or whisk it together.  Nice stuff.  Pretty cheap and good to have. 

Offline Ms. Albatross

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2015, 04:09:27 PM »
Hi.  I can recommend the little boxes of whipping cream that Trader Joe's sells.  They don't need to be refrigerated and they last for several years (literally) past their expiration dates. 

Nice stuff.  Pretty cheap and good to have. 

Thanks Gam!  Gave you your first "karma" point for sharing that.   :)

Offline Gam in VA

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Preferred storable milk option and first karma point
« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2015, 12:13:24 PM »
Well, that felt good!  Thanks!

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2018, 06:33:48 PM »
Definitely an old thread... but I have to say I also still pick up the Trader Joe's little boxes of cream... I got hooked on buying UHT milk products when we lived in Germany way back when... still a good idea, I think.

Offline Warp42

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2018, 06:32:18 AM »
Not a fan of powdered milk but it lasts longer.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2018, 08:54:37 AM »
I also keep nonfat powdered milk around. I rotate it through by using it for my own Hot Chocolate mix.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2018, 09:43:37 AM »
Not a fan of powdered milk but it lasts longer.

Peak, dried, canned whole milk, tastes better than that so called "fresh" 2% milk you buy at the supermarket. It lasts 2 years, unopened in the pantry. Each 400gm container is over a gallon of milk ( 17 cups), and they have a larger 900gm can also. This is milk that you can use without suffering, but you need to only have a small amount you can rotate out every 2 years. Not a problem for me ! I like it better than liquid store bought milk. I usually drink fresh goat milk, but when I mess up planning, or a pregnancy didnt take, I use the Peak milk until a doe freshens and I am not suffering, it is good.

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2018, 11:32:08 AM »
 I use soy milk but I don't drink large quantities of it. I use it for putting on berries, cold cereal, mixing up some waffle mix.

I also eat some tofu which is soy based but I am not any kind of radical vegetarian. I eat fish, some chicken, black beans, and seitan (meat substitute) but I have to say there is a Japanese restaurant around here where the teriyaki tofu tastes much better than most teriyaki salmon but that is a rarity to find though I wish it wasn't

I'm not worried about storing milk for 10 years. I have a fair amount of freeze dried food and vacuum sealed stuff from years ago but no milk. If there is an emergency then there is no milk, tough luck.