Author Topic: adding trace minerals with a Berkey  (Read 1946 times)

Offline SusanG

• Prepper
adding trace minerals with a Berkey
« on: October 22, 2014, 03:44:42 PM »
We use our Berkey with untreated rain water, and since rain water doesn't contain any minerals, I'd like to add some trace minerals in the form of a liquid concentrate to it for drinking. 

According to the directive21 web site:  "The powerful Black Berkey® purification elements also remove or reduce <list of bad stuff snipped>, yet they leave in the healthful and beneficial minerals that your body needs…". 

The most convenient and accurate way to add the mineral concentrate would be to mix it with the measured water that I add to the top chamber, but I want to make sure the Berkey wouldn't just filter the minerals out for some reason I'm not thinking of (minerals are not yet in suspension, or ?)  Or should I add the concentrate to the bottom tank to make sure I don't lose any minerals?

Thanks in advance. :-)

Offline theberkeyguy

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Berkey Water Purification Systems
Re: adding trace minerals with a Berkey
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 10:54:56 AM »
We use our Berkey with untreated rain water, and since rain water doesn't contain any minerals, I'd like to add some trace minerals in the form of a liquid concentrate to it for drinking. 

According to the directive21 web site:  "The powerful Black Berkey® purification elements also remove or reduce <list of bad stuff snipped>, yet they leave in the healthful and beneficial minerals that your body needs…". 

The most convenient and accurate way to add the mineral concentrate would be to mix it with the measured water that I add to the top chamber, but I want to make sure the Berkey wouldn't just filter the minerals out for some reason I'm not thinking of (minerals are not yet in suspension, or ?)  Or should I add the concentrate to the bottom tank to make sure I don't lose any minerals?

Thanks in advance. :-)

If all the minerals you are putting into the water are healthy, you can put them into the cup or pitcher you are drinking out of.
Berkey Water Purification Systems:
www.directive21.com

Offline SusanG

• Prepper
Re: adding trace minerals with a Berkey
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 12:16:47 PM »
Well, yeah, but I'm looking to have it already added to the water rather than having to measure each time I take a drink, plus by putting it in the bulk drinking water my husband will get the benefits, and he would never go to the trouble to dose each glass.  The product I have specifies 20-40 drops per gallon to remineralize comparable to a good mineral water.