Author Topic: Giving the Gift of Prepping - Gifts  (Read 38128 times)

Offline DDJ

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Giving the Gift of Prepping - Gifts
« Reply #60 on: August 24, 2015, 11:08:59 AM »
This thread has made me think for my sister-in-law and Brother and their twin girls of 14 (all of how look down on Prepping) I am thinking of Bee attracting herbs, err I mean flowers.  We are new to beekeeping and sharing the gifts that pollinators bring by giving them attractants, oops you can eat them too, would be a good idea.  A rich green with pretty little flowers that will bring bees to your yard and community.

Is that a prepper gift I am not sure.  It does promote the growth of plants both these and any others that a good colony of bees will help out. It is a food source for the people and could be bartered with someone who is looking to improve his MREs.  Some of the bees they attract make honey, there is food and trade.  Ok I am trying to convince myself that this fits this thread.  It is not as prepper as a generator or knives, but I think it fits.  Agreed not by much.

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #61 on: December 12, 2015, 06:15:39 PM »

Offline TerryFrench

• Prepper
  • Long time listener...
« Reply #62 on: December 17, 2015, 07:29:30 PM »
I'm looking for advice here, as the gifts I'd like to make are for my team members at work (so 6 + my boss).

I'd like to keep it really cheap, say below $50 total (so for 7 items, so about $7 a piece), as I don't even know if they will appreciate it or not. The assumption is that 4 or 5 out of 6 are likely fully unprepared. One is likely well prepared.
Power outages are quite common, so I'm thinking glow sticks or if I can find something cheap LED headlamps? I've plenty of batteries at home, so I can always add some proper batteries when giving this.

If they can be a tiny bit more prepared next time power is off (or they go camping, whatever they do), that might be a good start.
I'm looking forward to the 60 steps videos from Jack for making a BOB, but that will come too late. i.e. I could have done "here are the ingredients of steps 1,2,3 of this cool video series to get you started, go there and check it out, that's worth it.

Bonus points if Amazon sells it ;-) (it's easier to go than a big box store)

Thanks!

Offline Beetle

• Proud Grandpa
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #63 on: December 17, 2015, 07:39:00 PM »
Some one at work gave me an AR magazine today for Christmas. That made my day. You could make some jelly or can something.

endurance

« Reply #64 on: December 18, 2015, 08:43:19 AM »
I'm looking for advice here, as the gifts I'd like to make are for my team members at work (so 6 + my boss).

I'd like to keep it really cheap, say below $50 total (so for 7 items, so about $7 a piece), as I don't even know if they will appreciate it or not. The assumption is that 4 or 5 out of 6 are likely fully unprepared. One is likely well prepared.
Power outages are quite common, so I'm thinking glow sticks or if I can find something cheap LED headlamps? I've plenty of batteries at home, so I can always add some proper batteries when giving this.

If they can be a tiny bit more prepared next time power is off (or they go camping, whatever they do), that might be a good start.
I'm looking forward to the 60 steps videos from Jack for making a BOB, but that will come too late. i.e. I could have done "here are the ingredients of steps 1,2,3 of this cool video series to get you started, go there and check it out, that's worth it.

Bonus points if Amazon sells it ;-) (it's easier to go than a big box store)

Thanks!
I just got one of these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001QCXTBI/ and had it for about ten minutes before my wife snagged it, started playing with it, and claimed it as her own. The quality of the built is good, the battery is replaceable (but be aware, it's a watch battery (2016), which is commonly available), and the light output is surprisingly good. $6 with free shipping as an add on item if you're a prime member.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #65 on: December 18, 2015, 10:53:21 AM »
I just got one of these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001QCXTBI/ and had it for about ten minutes before my wife snagged it, started playing with it, and claimed it as her own. The quality of the built is good, the battery is replaceable (but be aware, it's a watch battery (2016), which is commonly available), and the light output is surprisingly good. $6 with free shipping as an add on item if you're a prime member.

I buy sheets of various watch batteries off eBay.  Most are name brand for pennies on the dollar.  No idea if they are factory seconds, as the exp. dates are usually a few years off.  I don't often use them, but if you have a red dot optic, digital calipers, etc.  it avoids a major hassle of shopping retail and paying top price for the "convenience". 

Offline TerryFrench

• Prepper
  • Long time listener...
« Reply #66 on: December 18, 2015, 12:41:35 PM »
Thanks. I'll continue to look at "cheap" flash lights, and maybe complement that with something else.

I did some canning (first time on my own, my mom used to can some stuff when I was a kid) 6 months ago. Mostly berries jelly, but also a few tomatoes. I gave a few as gifts but do not have enough to give that to an extra 6 persons, although if I can continue to increase my production, this looks like a good gift for next year. i.e. more spring planting planned.

My approach for edibles gardening (I'm convinced about permaculture, but not there yet, I live in the suburbs) has been to plant and get my significant other to complain, then start to get the food and get a little of the reaction like from a video Jack posted few weeks back https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dj5fImveQxo (cracks me up).
i.e. "that stuff tastes great", and "we keep getting more for free?" :-) Followed at the end of the season by "we got our money back out of it, you should plant more" :-)

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #67 on: December 18, 2015, 02:28:30 PM »
My favorite cheap flashlight.  I own 2.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005VCJNYG

Offline 11steve11

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #68 on: December 18, 2015, 02:37:20 PM »
Wow, you all give some great gifts.

One side of our family (that lives in Seattle) thinks we're crazy; there were past Christmas attempts to give them some prepping stuff and they didn't even understand the flashlights --seriously.
We just bought cases of smelly candles last year right after Christmas (1/2 off of 75% off) and are giving them, maybe they'll see that as restroom potential.

The other side of our family lives in Montana, and could very likely be reading this forum reply; Hi uncle Don

Offline oktheniknow

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #69 on: December 18, 2015, 09:22:25 PM »
I'm getting together a gift box of stuff for my "little brother" who is away from home for the first time after joining the Navy.
Have playing cards, freeze dried fruit, energy drink packets, snacks, razors. Looking for some Patrick O'Brian sea books.
Got a mini maglite similar to this one - http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/91aqkLSOZ9L._SY355_.jpg
He'll be shipping out on his world tour starting next year.

Offline The Spartan Dad

• Survivalist Mentor
  • one step at a time
« Reply #70 on: December 19, 2015, 04:53:35 AM »
Sometimes it helps if you can link the gifts with a hobby. My father enjoys rock climbing in the woods so we give him gifts that would help if something went wrong. Not major medical but things like a life straw. I think they have been better received tied into that then if they were just given in general though they could be used for anything.

I'm getting together a gift box of stuff for my "little brother" who is away from home for the first time after joining the Navy.
Have playing cards, freeze dried fruit, energy drink packets, snacks, razors. Looking for some Patrick O'Brian sea books.
Got a mini maglite similar to this one - http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/91aqkLSOZ9L._SY355_.jpg
He'll be shipping out on his world tour starting next year.

Those are excellent books.  Too bad the modern navy has stopped distributing prize shares.

Offline Knecht

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Czech emissary at TSP forum
« Reply #71 on: December 19, 2015, 05:49:07 AM »
I have been gifting various prep items for couple years to the whole family. Running out of ideas....this year I'm giving my wife couple more Galil mags and 5,56 ammo (in a watertight container) for her new rifle. Giving both her and my sister couple historical cookbooks from the 18th century, as these contain some very usable recipes and all of them are ment to be cooked over fire or in earthen ovens.
My brother in law is getting a mid-sized handy Fiskars axe. Both for him to have one and for me to keep him away from mine. Not like I was so mean, but a man's axe is his only and he should be the only one using it.
As for me, I'm quite sure I'm getting an antique Remington rolling-block shotgun, should be in great usable condition. Always wanted one of those, as I really like the simplicity of the mechanism and if it's usable, I think it would make a great addition to the more primitive part of my armory.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #73 on: December 02, 2016, 11:19:47 PM »
Giving the Gift of Preps for 2016 Christmas:

The gift of power : 800Watt car inverter and hefty, 100ft long extension cord for my eldest ( who was worried in her last power outage about her 'fridge) Steve Harris picks for these

The gift of warmth:  US made Faribault wool blanket, their simple blanket, 1/2 off for last years color, 9 boxes of eco-recycled compressed fire logs and a large amount of kindling I have been making with the chop saw and scraps

The gift of get-home (or get-out) supplies, disguised as camping gear: Many things fall under this. My recipient is getting a packable down vest and a woodfired backpackstove

The gift of food preps: just make it cute and homemade,  brainstorming ideas, I may do some kind of dry mix or canned soups with store bought elderberry for the folks, they seem to be getting sick alot . Lots of misc. home canned items will be given out, carrot halapeno butter, jams, chow-chow, etc....which may inspire some to want to can, and in any case will be more shelf stable food for them

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #74 on: December 02, 2016, 11:30:42 PM »
Last year I put a life straw in everyones stocking, as well as a pair of wool socks (and dark chocolate, I am not cruel)

Year before that, I put pocket knives in the stockings, and wool socks. I always put in wool socks, except Im not going to this year -- keep them guessing.

Playing cards are a good stocking stuffer prep. item

My eldest got canning equipment last year. I have given out good raincoats and backpacks, warm sweaters and hats, all of which are good preps without screaming "crazy prepper"

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #75 on: December 14, 2016, 04:56:02 PM »
stocking stuffers:

Thanks to Ninja Prepper, who found me one of the elusive, sold out, Yari Titanium Sporks ! Great item. Going into my youngest dd's stocking ( backpacking themed gift recipient)

Other stockings are getting: Weleda hand cream; compass; pocket knife; mora knife -- and no socks this year. We will see who complains.

While I am not doing this this year in stockings, I think a silver round in each stocking, starting young, can realy add up and encourage savings. The first year, I would start them with a cute box or container ( pirate chest ) with a few coins, and add one each year via the stocking, different pattern each year to make an interesting collection.

2 girl teens in extended family are getting a pocket knife, and a round of silver, and a pair of cute socks, I think. But I cant find any dark, brooding, emo black ones....so maybe not

Offline CPT Morgan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Don't Be Tolerant Today Dead Tomorrow
« Reply #76 on: December 14, 2016, 05:39:17 PM »
May I offer that a great gift, certainly for males, is a .50 ammo can.  If they are metal, have a rubber seal, are of decent quality/shape, they are great for storing anything that will fit.  Stack-able and durable. 

You can't have too many blades.  Work Sharp sharpeners (manual or electric) really are as handy as they advertise them to be.  Impossible to have too much parachute cord or mule tape.  Ammo if you know the caliber of gun they own, is ALWAYS a winner.

nkawtg

« Reply #77 on: December 14, 2016, 05:44:25 PM »
For our office Christmas party I gave a lifestraw gift for the white elephant gift exchange.
It was well received.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #78 on: December 14, 2016, 06:58:44 PM »
Endurance turned me on to this handy little gem, and I'm giving a bunch of these away this season. 

d3nni5

« Reply #79 on: December 15, 2016, 01:16:23 PM »

These are great too.  Been carrying one in my pocket for a few months.   Very bright for the size, and you don't even know its there.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00143JZ08/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #80 on: December 16, 2016, 02:06:40 PM »
Well, I scored back one of my own Nitecore Thumbs at an office party gift exchange yesterday, where, after some idiotic musical chair thingy, I was left holding my own gift.  And I was very happy.  Beats the hell out of yet another Starbucks something or other.

Call me Scrooge, but I effing hate Christmas.  So effing much.  I much prefer giving people stuff randomly year around, rather than in a force fed frenzy of fake generosity over three weeks at the end of each year. 

Humbug.

Offline CPT Morgan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Don't Be Tolerant Today Dead Tomorrow
« Reply #81 on: December 16, 2016, 02:09:10 PM »
Humbug.

Bummer...  I was so with you, until I read your second paragraph.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #82 on: December 16, 2016, 03:02:00 PM »
Well, I scored back one of my own Nitecore Thumbs at an office party gift exchange yesterday, where, after some idiotic musical chair thingy, I was left holding my own gift.  And I was very happy.  Beats the hell out of yet another Starbucks something or other.

Call me Scrooge, but I effing hate Christmas.  So effing much.  I much prefer giving people stuff randomly year around, rather than in a force fed frenzy of fake generosity over three weeks at the end of each year. 

Humbug.

I dont think I would like that either -- I dont exchange gifts with very many people, as they dont need anything. It is also not in my values to give out a bunch of useless stuff. I give gifts to my 3 kids, who are young enough to actually need things. My 2 nieces, because it gives joy to every one else to see them get things ( dont know what the extended family is going to think about the folding knife with the 3 inch blade the 17yo is getting....), we only give stuff to "the kids" at our extended family gathering, and there are very few. We all decided years ago to not exchange gifts. For a while before that, we would be given a "random" name, so all adults had one gift, and by only buying one it could be given with more thought and meaning. There are also 2 elderly folks in our family, one is hard pressed, so I give her pj's or a jacket or soemthing, the other is lonely, and I give her a few photos of the kids and some homemade candy. Now, that is a tradition, and expected to give her fudge, but that is easy enough to do.

I dont have work or other random exchanges I need to be a part of. No random secret santa stuff.

When my dd was part of a group, I felt like you for sure ! How was it fun to be forced to go out and buy some random thing for some random kid ? I mentioned this to other involved adults. Probably contributed to social isolation for me.... you would think other parents wold see this . Glad to be past this.

I do not exchange gifts with friends or my brothers, we are adults who dont need stuff.

I sent one of my brothers something last xmas, before xmas, as I knew their household was having a hard emotional time, I actually sent one of those Harry and David smaller things. I wanted him and the girls to know they were thought of, and have something surprising and cheery.  He has PTSD, so was initially freaked out to have a package at the house. I hadnt thought of that, but once he saw the --small-- teeny -- printed message from me on the label, he relaxed and they enjoyed it. The girls realy liked having a surprise, special snack.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #83 on: December 16, 2016, 09:34:36 PM »
How was it fun to be forced to go out and buy some random thing for some random kid?

Even as a kid I always thought the whole classroom secret Santa gift exchange was some kind of diabolical exercise in social shaming and coercion.  I'm sure we all remember the kids at school who barely got enough to eat or wear.  Why the hell were they expected to come up with a present at Xmas?

Don't get me wrong, I really like giving people stuff (or, even better, money) they actually need or want.  I just hate the knee-jerk expectation of reciprocity that comes with doing it at Christmas time.  I'd much rather give people stuff and not have them feel obligated to give me anything in return.  That just doesn't seem like genuine generosity to me.  It's just a meaningless charade that, more often than not, results in little more than a misallocatation of resources.

Offline mgw44

• Prepper
« Reply #84 on: May 29, 2017, 11:27:38 AM »
For families I would recommend the res q me keychain at resqme.com. It has a glass breaking tool and seat belt cutter.

I have three kids in car seats and can't imagine trying to get them out of a burning or sinking car. I carry this with the thought it will help. Being a key chain I always know where it will be in the car too.

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #85 on: May 29, 2017, 11:31:09 PM »
For families I would recommend the res q me keychain at resqme.com. It has a glass breaking tool and seat belt cutter.

I have three kids in car seats and can't imagine trying to get them out of a burning or sinking car. I carry this with the thought it will help. Being a key chain I always know where it will be in the car too.

Good call!  I bought a handful years ago, but had not considered them as a gift possibility.

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #86 on: May 29, 2017, 11:49:08 PM »
RTL-SDR for the ham in your life that does not already have a handful.

Just the dongle is $20, this is for the experienced radio person who already has antennas and some knowledge of connectors:
https://www.amazon.com/RTL-SDR-Blog-RTL2832U-Software-Defined/dp/B0129EBDS2/ref=lp_10230687011_1_4?srs=10230687011&ie=UTF8&qid=1496123118&sr=8-4

For the computer savvy but not RF savvy, start them out with the version that comes with two antennas at only $25:
https://www.amazon.com/RTL-SDR-Blog-RTL2832U-Software-Telescopic/dp/B011HVUEME/ref=lp_10230687011_1_1?srs=10230687011&ie=UTF8&qid=1496123118&sr=8-1

Give them the link to RTL-SDR blog and they will be off to the races. It has content for the noob and the experienced alike:
http://www.rtl-sdr.com/

Offline allofthemonkeys

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Dutch Oven A Day
« Reply #87 on: June 05, 2017, 02:24:05 PM »
My mom loves to gift a box of pantry staples, spices, measuring cups and spoons, etc. to newly weds at either their reception or their first Christmas together.  You eat every day right?

Offline DDJ

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #88 on: October 16, 2020, 10:28:49 AM »
Some how this showed up as a new topic for me today.  I wondered what I did wrong...  Though it sounded like a thread to dust off and start thinking about What changes this year has made to the world and what we would be giving as prepper related gifts this year.

Has this year changed who you can give openly prepper related gifts this year?
What is on your Prepper gift shopping list for Chrismasgeddon 2020?

I would have to say that for me I do not think anything has changed as to who I can openly prepper gift.

I am still working in Christmas ideas (yes this a cheat looking for help), but I am thinking to start with some Car Kit updates.
     Visor orgaizers (stocked with Tire gauge, pen, light, state and county map, insurance and Registration holder)
     High Vis vest 
     Marker lights & reflectors
     New space blanket or bag
     Cell phone cable and backup battery (could be part of Visor kit)

What are your collective thoughts?

Offline ChEng

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Chief Engineer
« Reply #89 on: October 17, 2020, 05:17:54 AM »
Thanks for bringing this great thread back up.

A couple Christmases ago, I got my sons a "kit" of dollar items from the Dollar Tree store:
- A small pocket knife
- A tiny leatherman-wannabe multi-tool
- A LED flashlight
- One of those multi-use flat tools that slide into your wallet
Each item cost $1.00 and they all fit onto a "key chain" thingy which was on one of the items.

A few years before that, my daughters went on a girls-only camp-out. I got several prep items (small packet of raisins, granola bar, small  packet of tissues, a couple of bandaids, etc) and put them into some small, pretty gift bags. The bags were small enough to fit into their purses, and were bright red (the emergency color.  ;) )

Now, it's time to start thinking about these things again. Thanks once again for the reminder, DDJ +1.