Author Topic: Josh the Aspie's 13  (Read 3425 times)

Offline Josh the Aspie

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Faith, Hope, Love.
    • Josh the Aspie's Homepage
Josh the Aspie's 13
« on: January 03, 2016, 09:31:10 AM »
Given my current condition, and that this is my first year, my skills may be a bit narrower than some other folks, who would combine them.  I still think the list below is ambitious for me personally, but it gives me something to reach for.

Defense: Learn to Shoot and maintain an AR 15 - In Progress
I already have general pistol and longun skills in this area, but a new platform has it's own quirks.

Defense: Learn to Shoot and maintain a shotgun - In Progress
I already have general pistol and longun skills in this area, but a new platform has it's own quirks.

Defense: Knife throwing - In progress
I've got the knives, I've got a target I can haul out, and I have a little bit of the basics down.  Going to wait for no-snow before I practice though, so as to avoid loosing my knives.

Defense/Health: Kung Fu - In progress
I want to get my cardio, strength, stamina, etc, up to the point where I can go to Kung Fu class without making myself ill, then return to class.  As a part of this, I intend to study Tai Chi, which is actually a style of Kung Fu.

Health: Learn to keep my kitchen clean at all times - In Progress
Not sure if this is a skill or a mindset, but it's something that I, as an adult, should have learned long ago.  It's particularly important now due to health concerns.  I don't prioritize this nearly enough.

Health: Keep my bathroom clean at all times - In progress

Crafts: Learn to make soap - In progress
I have theoretical knowledge of this, but have never done it before. I use premium soaps others have made often enough that this might be a good skill to learn, so I can get the exact kind of soap I want.  Once it's good enough, I might be able to sell some at fairs.

Food Prep: Learn to make spring rolls - Planned
What? They're good!  Nothing says all of these have to be 'survival' based does it?

Comms: Nato alphabet. - In progress
I want to learn the entire NATO alphabet and be able to give letter for letter responses if quizzed, in under a second.  I've already got the ability to rattle off my first and last name in the phonetics, and am only a little bit jerky in giving my 'net handle in phonetics.  I still confuse papa and piano sometimes.

Education: Masters - In progress
Beef back up on the knowledge I need to complete the incompletes for my College classes, and take my test to earn my MS.

Profession: Ruby - Planned
Learn Ruby on Rails (programming language)

Profession: Python - Planned
Learn Python (programming language)

Tool Maintenance: Honing stone and strop
Learn to use a honing stone to give a consistent blade angle when sharpening, and to strop correctly.  In particular, learn to get knives sharp enough that I can pop a hair off my arm or the back of my hand.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
Re: Josh the Aspie's 13
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2016, 09:38:00 AM »
Keep us posted Josh, and I agree Spring rolls and Garden rolls are the best.

Cedar

Offline Josh the Aspie

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Faith, Hope, Love.
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2016, 09:51:55 AM »
Thanks Cedar.

Offline Josh the Aspie

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Faith, Hope, Love.
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2016, 06:01:11 AM »
Update

Defense: Learn to Shoot and maintain an AR 15 - In Progress
I have broken down an AR-15 as far as is recommended by the directions, save the spring and the extractor, and done a full cleaning.  I've also learned how to sight in an AR, using a fore-sight tool, and the rear sight adjustments.

Health: Learn to keep my kitchen clean at all times - In Progress
There's still some soap scum, etc, that I can keep scrubbing away at, but it is, for the most part clean.  Now I just need to keep it that way.

Health: Keep my bathroom clean at all times - In progress
Large reductions in mess.  More reductions underway.