Author Topic: Best Permaculture Resource(s) For a Beginner?  (Read 11360 times)

Offline The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
Best Permaculture Resource(s) For a Beginner?
« on: October 27, 2014, 10:53:01 PM »
My wife and I are in the midst of entering the last portion of our Transition stage to full(?) retirement (okay, maybe not full, but at least we'll be doing stuff that we want to do, not what others want us to do).

But we need to learn a few things before we enter full retirement.  Our goal is to purchase a sizable chunk of land and re-organize it to be as self-sufficient as possible.

Obviously, this will entail one form of permaculture or another. 

What we both want to do is to learn enough about permaculture that we can make a good decision when we see a piece of land to minimize cost and work entailed to turn it into a properly permacultured area.

Can anyone suggest a good starting point?

The Professor

Offline MIZZOU_RAH

• Senior Survivalist
  • TSP Forum member
    • MaxHouseholder.com
Re: Best Permaculture Resource(s) For a Beginner?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 12:25:57 PM »
GeoffLawton.com http://www.geofflawton.com/sq/15449-geoff-lawton is a great starting point IMO. Enter your name and e-mail on the righthand side (he won't spam you at all except when new videos come out) and you'll get access to a bunch of free videos that give examples of permaculture in action as well as a little bit of Geoff doing whiteboard stuff.

Get on the e-mail list at PermacultureNews.org which is Geoff Lawton's Permaculture Research Institute's website. They send out 4-5 links to articles about Permaculture every day so it's easy to keep up with what's going on without having to hunt for it.

Jack's Permaculture Principles series of videos on YouTube is great too. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLEA7BA330871366B8. I also like the videos on TheUrbanFarmingGuys.com a lot for inspiration/ideas and they just seem like rad dudes.

If you're MSB you can download Bill Mollison's Introduction to Permaculture in PDF format for free. If you're not MSB I'm sure it's available to purchase somewhere. Maybe others know where.

I think if you watched the videos I suggested, join the e-mail list, and then read Mollison's pamphlets then you'd know enough to decide whether you want to invest in taking a PDC course or not. I still haven't taken a PDC, but would like to in the next couple of years. I've never read Gaia's Garden or any of the Permaculture books out there so I can't speak to those, but Jack has mentioned several that he highly recommends as well as a few that he didn't think helped as much.

There are a million permaculture blogs out there, some obviously better than others. Marjorie Wildcraft at GrownYourOwnGroceries.org is awesome and posts every day. Jack highly recommends her DVD series. I have bought it and I think it's very good with a lot of actionable information on how to get up and running quickly producing your own food. Permies (Paul Wheaton) has a great forum and he sends out a daily e-mail list to keep up with the things they get into at Paul's "lab". Permaculture Voices has a podcast and a website with a ton of content. Their podcast can be a little dry (think NPR) for my taste, but they get quality people on there all the time.

There are a bazillion TSP episodes that touch on Permaculture either for an entire show or for parts of the feedback & call-in shows. Consistently listening every week is how I get a lot of this stuff through osmosis. If Jack has a guest who I like I usually subscribe to their website's e-mail list and see if I like the content. If not I unsubscribe after a couple weeks, but if it's good stuff I'll keep reading. I've never been spammed by Geoff, Jack, Marjorie, or anyone in this space so don't fret about it. If you're really concerned about that stuff set up a second e-mail account and link them all to that.

Hope this helps!!

Offline r_w

• Dedicated Contributor
  • On my way
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 05:43:01 AM »
That is an awesome starting list for online sources.

I would say Ben Falk's book is one of the best entry level books. 

Marjorie Wildcraft also does a talk on how to choose a survival property, it should be available online somewhere. 

Offline AvenueQ

• Dedicated Contributor
    • In Plain Sight
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 06:06:25 AM »
 :popcorn:

Offline jamendjr

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2014, 06:52:56 AM »
Great advice!

When you get on Geoffs free viedo site, there is a property selection video. From what you wrote that sounds like a good one for you.

Offline PorcupineKate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Head Weed Puller
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2014, 07:44:03 AM »
Check Meetup.com.  They may have permaculture groups in your area.  There are 2 here in NH and I wouldn't be surprised if they are all over the country.   I have attended a couple of low cost events through these groups.

Offline oktheniknow

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2014, 08:17:12 AM »
All great resources by Mizzou_Rah. Have not gotten my PDC either but plan to at some point.
You may be surprised at what books that your local library system has. Do a search on "permaculture" and "food forest". Have read a ton of books checked out from the library. Also, depending on what you want to grow, do a search on "perennials", "herbs", "orchard", and "self sufficient".

Offline BrotherNature

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2014, 04:39:32 PM »
That's a pretty good list.  Well done!

The only source I read that I haven't seen mentioned yet is a site called temperate climate permaculture. 

I also listen to a podcast called The Permaculture Podcast.  Most of it is outstanding although some episodes get skipped when guests start blabbing about social justice or other irrelevant political topics.

endurance

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2014, 05:35:24 PM »
I'd recommend trying to take a weekend-long or one day clinic/workshop from CRMPI, Woodbine or one of the other local permaculture institutes.  They usually have a hell of a lot going on during the spring (when they need help planting) and next to nothing going on during the winter. 

To me, topography and a southeastern exposure are high on my list.  I want morning sun, afternoon shade and enough slope to make moving water with gravity possible.

Offline jamendjr

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2014, 05:57:13 PM »
I would agree with Brothernature, the permaculture pooooooooooodcast is good as well. If you listen to it you will get the joke with the name. I think his name is Scott Mann? He is a genuine guy and it definitely comes through in the podcast. It can get a little hippy dippy, but I would say go ahead and listen to those as well, sometimes its good to step outside your comfort zone. I do from time to time and while it doesnt always change my mind it definifely broadens my understanding.

Offline BrotherNature

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2014, 06:26:09 PM »
Lol!!  That's true, Scott is a good guy.  I notice that if I go on long listening binges I later end up reading permaculture articles in his voice. 

Offline jamendjr

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2014, 06:49:55 PM »
Thats hilarious, same thing happens to me. I had considered going to the mother earth news fair this year as it was within driving distance for a day trip, turns out he was there, could have met him in person!

Diego Footer has that same kind of get in your head podcast voice.

Offline jamendjr

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member

Offline BrotherNature

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2014, 04:43:39 PM »
This site has a pretty good basic rundown.

http://deepgreenpermaculture.com

Offline PorcupineKate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Head Weed Puller
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2014, 10:38:48 AM »
If you are looking for permaculture books.  Chelsea Green Publication is having a year end sale on lots of good books till the end of the year. 35% off list prices.

http://www.chelseagreen.com/content/holidays-2014/?utm_source=BannerEOY&utm_medium=BannerEOY&utm_term=BannerEOY&utm_content=BannerEOY&utm_campaign=EOY

Offline jr doyle

• Prepper
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2014, 11:34:24 AM »

Offline oktheniknow

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2014, 12:10:02 PM »
Just came across this youtube channel that has many Geoff Lawton videos -
http://is.gd/H0mpYB

Offline gopack84

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2014, 12:29:40 PM »
There's a full class available online (streaming source) from North Carolina State University. There are ways to get a local download to if you are willing and able to do a bit of extra computer work.

http://courses.ncsu.edu/hs432/common/podcasts/

Some of the classes are really full of technical info and some of them are basically Dr. Hooker's home movies of his world travels (examples of permaculture systems in place while he waxes on).

Online David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2014, 06:09:44 PM »
Calm down. If you're asking this question you're probably 99% there. I get so weary of this "you need 182.97 hours of direction and a final project to begin to understand..."

If permaculture is a science, every practitioner would do the exact same thing given the same plot of land. They don't.

Deep breath in, deep breath out. Apply the rules and be open to change. I had to rotate my berries 90 degrees. I found my wife is allergic to my grapes. I didn't know goji grew here... I can't stress enough the importance of change.

Offline gopack84

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2014, 06:56:52 AM »
I agree and disagree(nitpick more than disagree really) David. Science is a methodology. It should deliver the same results given the same initial conditions. So if everybody were you, and they were all living on your land with the same wife and all those theoretical everybody's were following permaculture principles, then I would expect over time they would arrive at the same conclusions you have regarding berries, grapes, and goji. So that is the science part. Reproducible initial conditions, following reproducible procedures, should (if your theory is valid) produce reproducible results. Different people on the same plot of land changes the initial conditions so different results are normal.

The "be willing to change" part is absolutely necessary because none of the above is true for anyone but yourself! So you should not be surprised if you do the same thing as a thousand other permaculturists and get different results, nor should this really surprise you unless you're comparing a very isolated test like growing 100 mulberry trees from seed in a climate controlled structure using an industry standardized growing medium and getting 5% germination rate when everybody else is getting 80% or something. Then you have something to dig into. For me, that's the fun part. Then I get to play CSI guy without having to deal with criminal idiots.

I do agree that if you're asking this question, you're far along. Time to dig in and just start running some experiments.
Come up with a question
Educate yourself
Come up with an educated guess to your question
Test
Analyze results
Tell everyone about it

Good stuff :)

Offline CandyBabyE

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2014, 08:04:00 AM »
Was glad to see someone mention Permaculture Voices podcast, www.permaculturevoices.com, even if it was only to reference a specific episode. 

Diego has done an awesome job on the podcast and put together an incredible conference last March.  PV2 is coming up this March in San Diego, California and will be, I'm sure, just as awesome.

One recommendation I'd make is Start Small.  Don't overwhelm yourself OR your wife with too much at once.  If you're going to add animals to your homestead, do one type of animal at a time.  Chickens and rabbits are probably the easiest to start off with.  As much as I like raising rabbits and love the meat,  chickens would probably be the first choice.  That way you can get a protein source (eggs) and not have to deal with the butchering process right away, if that is a new thing for you.  Besides, home raised eggs are undefinable. You'll never buy store eggs again.

Do a small garden when the weather permits and use the long nights of winter to do some learning and planning.  Depending on the depths you want to go to,  Backwoods Home, Grit and Acres USA are great magazines to start with. 

Joel Salatin's books are also very good source of information, thought not exactly permaculture.

One thing is to be able to adapt anything you come across to YOUR particular climate, environment, situation, relationship, or whatever.  For example, in Salatin's "Pastured Poultry Profits", he describes his chicken tractors.  A lot of people have tried his design in very windy areas and found a real need to modify them.

Permaculture is a science and an art.  It is not things, but a way of thinking.  Rocket mass heaters are something permaculturists use to be energy efficient, they are not permaculture.  Nor are swales, hugelkulture, or solar panels.  That is why taking a good PDC is helpful.  It gets you into the right mindset and helps you learn to see how things are interconnected.

Well, stepping off my soap box, I hope this is helpful and not too preachy.  I've made plenty of mistakes along my journey and just wanted to share part of what I've learned from them.  Sometimes mistakes are what we learn the most from, but it's usually best to learn from others mistakes instead of making your own.  :facepalm:

Candy 

Bonnieblue2A

« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2014, 03:14:41 PM »
I am surprised that one one yet has listed Toby Hemenway's website:   http://www.patternliteracy.com

Here is a link to his resources page: http://www.patternliteracy.com/resources

Toby Hemenway wrote Gia's Garden and was one of the Keynote presentors at Permaculture Voices this past Spring.   He has a series of YouTube videos as well as another website offering white I would call mini-courses online in sustainable agriculture from a number of other instructors.  If I can find that website with the online courses again I will post a link.

I think scale is an important consideration.   If someone is looking at farm scale, I believe Mark Shepard and his Restoraton Agriculture is the best place to start.  I'll say the same for Gregg Judy's books and workshops via Green Pastures Farm, if someone is looking at mob grazing.

Offline jamendjr

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2014, 06:53:24 AM »
Bonnieblue2A:
Great link, I forgot about his site. Is this the other website you were thinking of:

http://organiclifeguru.com/

I am tempted to try one of these courses. If its well done, the prices are great. I would love to see more "continuing permaculture education" courses online.

Bonnieblue2A

« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2014, 04:52:47 PM »
@jamendjr,  Thank you for that link.  I'm not certain that is exactly the same website to which I was referring, but many of the online course offerings are identical.

Offline r_w

• Dedicated Contributor
  • On my way
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2014, 09:54:34 AM »
Lol!!  That's true, Scott is a good guy.  I notice that if I go on long listening binges I later end up reading permaculture articles in his voice.

He has that "Dan the man Levatan" voice, doesn't he?

He gets interviews other people in permaculture don't so he is a good compliment to Jack and Diego. 

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website Maintenance and Online Presence Management by Mr. Bill
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2017, 12:47:01 PM »
free pdc course
https://www.openpermaculture.com/welcome-page

Jack's comment:

Note the people behind this are complete and total scum.  Do not have anything to do with them!  At all, ever.  They literally have threatened to sue people over bad reviews and for being kicked out of private yahoo groups which they were spamming.

When you sign up there TOS literally says you give them permission to sue you. 

Notice to MODS, the people from this organization are scum, they are to be brutally beaten with the ban hammer if they show up EVER, if you provide me with IPs I will ban them from the server or admins you are free to do so as well.

Thanks to Paul Wheaton for letting me know about this, this episode of TSP gives the entire story,

http://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com/challenges-of-urban jump to about 7 minutes to get the skinny. 

Vlad, you are a scum bag!  Now go ahead and threaten to sue me!