Author Topic: Survivor Library  (Read 1881 times)

Offline SelcSilverhand

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Survivor Library
« on: October 28, 2014, 05:01:35 AM »
I ran across this site on a post at Slashdot. It's called the Survivor Library and it is a collection of books from the 1800's and early 1900's that are now in the public domain. The idea behind it is that if there was something that damaged modern lifestyle it would give civilization the knowledge to rebuild. A lot of it looks really interesting and is directed at homesteading. I thought some of it might be interesting for those that want to expand their personal library.

http://www.survivorlibrary.com

Another option that would go along with this is the ability to download Wikipedia. They offer directions how to do that here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Database_download
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 07:51:00 AM by Docwatmo »

Offline JLMissouri

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: Survivor Library
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 06:43:44 AM »
I am always for free books, thanks for the link. It looks like they have tons of books, I will have download some. I also didn't know you could download wikipedia, I bet that will take some space on a hard drive and probably take a week or two at my Internets speed.
www.JLMissouri.com      Lewis Family Farm

Offline SelcSilverhand

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 06:53:48 AM »
I think they separate the text articles from the pictures (wikipedia & wikimedia) so you can choose what to get. Looks like about 10.5gb right now. Small enough to fit on a flash drive. You could probably get fancy and install an operating system on the flash drive with the info already on it, and configure it to download the latest changes each time you boot from the flash drive.

Offline r_w

• Dedicated Contributor
  • On my way
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 06:59:29 AM »
cool!

Tagged to download when I have bandwidth...

Offline JLMissouri

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 06:24:48 PM »
I think they separate the text articles from the pictures (wikipedia & wikimedia) so you can choose what to get. Looks like about 10.5gb right now. Small enough to fit on a flash drive. You could probably get fancy and install an operating system on the flash drive with the info already on it, and configure it to download the latest changes each time you boot from the flash drive.

Lot smaller than I figured it would be, but I guess without the pics it is just text which doesn't require much space.
www.JLMissouri.com      Lewis Family Farm

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2017, 06:48:23 PM »
A recent interview with the, uh, librarian by James Kunstler:
http://kunstler.com/podcast/kunstlercast-290-rocky-rawlins-survivor-library/

Artes sunt magis quam instrumenta.

Offline totalredundancy

• Prepper
  • EVERYBODY PANIC
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2017, 05:04:19 PM »
This is pretty cool.  I haven't done more than skim some of the books at this point, but it'd be interesting to see what nuggets are in there that we could apply to modern homesteading