Author Topic: K-State and the Army to study benefits of standard PT program and CrossFit  (Read 2320 times)

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
Kansas State University will be conducting a study in conjunction with the US Army to compare performance data from Soldiers utilizing the Army's Physical Readiness Training (PRT) program with Soldiers utilizing Crossfit programming.  The study will last four years.

http://blogs.militarytimes.com/pt365/2014/10/16/crossfit-vs-unit-pt-troops-will-do-the-training-plans-in-whats-likely-the-biggest-crossfit-study-ever/

This should be interesting since it is going to look not only at performance increases involving the Army Physical Fitness Test (APFT) but a few other metrics that can show that a program may have benefits outside the APFT events.  Another interesting aspect is the unstructured time later in the study where Soldiers can persue (or not) their program and track any progress they make.  It may show that Crossfit is more "interesting" than PRT which may show a desirability of the program in keeping Soldiers engaged and doing PT on their own.  I am by no means a Crossfit kool-aid drinker, but I do think PRT is flawed and look forward to the study.  Hopefully the Army will come out of it with a better program.

Offline The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
I'm not a big fan of Crossfit.  Mainly because of the horribly lax adherence to safe technique. 

I'd be willing to bet that in a few years, you're going to see some major issues with joint and ligament pain arising in these hard-core Crossfitters.

HOWEVER, I do like the fact that it builds more "functional" strength than the current programs. Interestingly, SpecOps has completely redone their physical fitness training.  I've been out of the Army for quite a while, but I don't believe that it's reached down into line or support levels.

I also like the competitiveness of the Crossfit concept. When I was in, there was a bit of bragging as to who could do the most pushups/situps in 2 mins or who ran the 2 miles the fastest.

Having a broader range of physical exercises that result in greater functional strength and which promotes an inherent competitiveness among soldiers?  That'd be interesting.  Especially if the Army could incorporate a Quarterly/Semi-Annual/Annual event for units to put forth their best soldier(s) to compete.

Yeah.  That sounds like a move forward.

The Professor