Author Topic: clear clogged drain with Enzymes ?  (Read 1942 times)

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
clear clogged drain with Enzymes ?
« on: March 09, 2015, 12:19:34 AM »

I was told by a roto rooter guy that enzymes are good for drains. I am not sure if it's to unclog a drain or keep them from getting clogged. It seems like toothpaste can get down in there and rot and turn to sludge or something. I am not sure how my drain has gotten clogged but it may be from that. The water does go down, but it takes a while.

I used to use an air pressure type gun but if enzymes are good for this I would like to know .. which brands and all as well

nelson96

Re: clear clogged drain with Enzymes ?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 08:41:47 AM »
I'm no plummer, but I don't believe enzymes would help you in a drain, as they would get washed through the system every time you ran water through.  Enzymes need time to work.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 10:01:21 AM »
The right ones do help alot -- but I cant remember brands. I bought a different brand once, made for sinks and it was garbage.

The ones that helped are made for septic systems, but I dont know the brand name.

Definitely needs time to work. You pour it in and dont use that sink or drain for the day. So, pour in before bed and then dont use that drain the next day and limit all water out. This is for weird stuff growing down that you cant get to. The best first thing is to check for actual physical junk you can clear before doing enzymes. So, get out your tools and remove and clean out the trap under the sink, and the pipe going up from the trap to the sink while that is off. For us this is the main problem. Sometimes just using a new thing called a Zip-It will pull up hair-with-stuff-growing on it.

nelson96

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 11:01:25 AM »
Short of the obvious stuff (hair) in a bathroom drain that can be unclogged with Drano and the like, if you have a clean out, snaking pipes is very easy and effective.

Offline Chris Gilliam

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2015, 04:53:05 PM »
If it's your bathroom sink drain you need to open the cabinet, unscrew the little piece that holds the pop-up lever to the drain, pull the lever out, remove the pop-up from above, clean the crud (hair and toothpaste mix) off of it and re-assemble.  Nothing to it. Master Plumber for 15 years, I've done it a time or two.