Author Topic: A cautionary blog article about a couple of paleo pitfalls  (Read 4425 times)

Offline Oil Lady

• Lady oil lady oil la-dy hoo
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • My book needs more humor. My pen needs more salt.
A cautionary blog article about a couple of paleo pitfalls
« on: November 19, 2014, 09:04:14 AM »
This blogger is NOT anti-paleo. But says he has witnessed enough health problems manifesting in other people who engage in paleo that he feels the need to educate people to be on the lookout for these problems in themselves, and then fine tune their paleo acccordingly. 

Meanwhile, I learnt me a new word/phrase today (two actually): "ancestral health movement" and "ancestral diet trend."

http://butternutrition.com/paleo-diets-dirty-laundry/

The Paleo Diet’s Dirty Laundry

By Catherine 

Although I don’t consider Butter Nutrition a Paleo blog, there is surely a very large overlap in my nutrition philosophy and the popular diet. Please note this is not an anti-paleo diet post, but more so about common Paleo diet problems that require course correction.

Paleo diet: The hottest dietary trend

There’s no doubt that the Paleo diet was the most popular diet in the United States in 2013, and keeps gaining momentum by the day.  According to an online study by professor Hamilton M. Stapell, “Based on the limited data available, we estimate the current size of the ancestral health movement within the United States to be between one and three million people.” That is quite a few people jumping on the ancestral diet trend, and for good reason…

Offline Prodigy

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Better to die on your feet than live on your knees
Re: A cautionary blog article about a couple of paleo pitfalls
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 04:16:13 PM »
Very interesting

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2014, 05:36:38 PM »
All good points, and definitely things to watch for.  I haven't run into any of the problems she listed, but I've only been doing this about four months, and I am getting plenty of dairy.  Again, definitely things to watch for over the next few months.

Offline AvenueQ

• Dedicated Contributor
    • In Plain Sight
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2014, 07:37:12 PM »
So if I already have some of those symptoms but am not following a paleo diet...probably not a big deal, just interesting to read them.

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
  • Asking the uncomfortable questions since 1964
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2014, 07:45:20 PM »
Agreeing with the others saying it's interesting.

I have stopped eating Primal (basically like Paleo but with dairy), but it had nothing to do with it being unhealthy or missing nutrients.  It's just hard for me to follow and not be obsessed with food.  But I do think everyone needs to be aware of what their bodies need as individuals.

To be honest, I had been hearing for years that you shouldn't eat tons of nuts.

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2014, 04:25:48 PM »
To be honest, I had been hearing for years that you shouldn't eat tons of nuts.
I would think one shouldn't eat tons of anything.  ;)

Offline RuggedCyclist

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Capitalist hippie
    • Boulder Stonecraft
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2015, 07:04:00 PM »
I think some of its points are addressed by paleo studies, and others are easily fixed by adjusting it to your own needs. Example, the potential problems with a super low carb diet, I just eat more carbs. There's plenty of nutrient dense carb food that doesn't make my body's inflammation response go crazy.

Good article overall.

My take away is use the data provided from different diets to do what works best for you.