Author Topic: Kiln Dried Lumber in Woody Beds?  (Read 2746 times)

Offline Never2L8

• Fledgling Prepper
  • TSP Forum member
Kiln Dried Lumber in Woody Beds?
« on: November 19, 2014, 06:25:22 PM »
Has anyone use kiln dried lumber in their woody beds?

I am in the process of renovating a house in NE Georgia (USA), and I have available a lot of lumber that was removed from the house, as well as, leftover lumber from when the house was built (2008).  Some of the lumber has set out in the weather for 6, or so years.  I also have partly decomposed fire wood from when the land was first cleared for the house site.

Anyway, I need to 'get rid of' this wood, however, I don't want to burn it.  I thought that burying it might be more beneficial in the long term.

Also, I have a lot of plywood, OSB, and pressure treated wood which should probably end up in the dumpster.  However, I am thinking about possibly burying it, but not planting edible plants in those mounds.

Any thoughts?

Offline Skunkeye

• Dedicated Contributor
Re: Kiln Dried Lumber in Woody Beds?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 06:53:44 PM »
I'd go ahead and use the kiln-dried lumber in a woody bed, but I would just put the other stuff in the trash.  Lots of unpleasant chemicals in plywood and OSB, and the pressure treated stuff will provide no "woody bed" benefits - it won't promote fungal growth and it won't rot and get spongy to hold water (well, it will, but only after many years, once the ACQ chemicals have leached out).

The kiln-dried pine/fir lumber will work just fine, but it will probably be mostly rotted away within a year or two.  Mix it with the rotting firewood for best results - the hardwood will last longer.

Offline Never2L8

• Fledgling Prepper
  • TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2016, 03:16:42 PM »
Follow-up:

I ended up hauling off the excess wood to the local dump.  I probably ended up with ten (10) full sized pickup beds full of the stuff.  It cost me somewhere around $200, which maybe would have been better used to rent a backhoe to bury the wood, but I needed to space the wood occupied cleared out quickly to prepare my orchard area, and to expand the area I park my vehicles.

I also hauled away about six contractor sized garbage bags of the medium and fines from the decomposed wood.  Now that what is left is a manageable amount, I plan to use it around the orchard area.

I still need to rent a chipper, since I 'killed' the one I had, to chip the six (6) large piles of small trees that we have cleared off the front of the property.  (My 21 year old has declared war on privet, smooth sumac and small sweet gum trees <grin>.)

--
Let's not talk about the eighty-seven (87) tires from a poorly constructed retaining wall that I found on the property, which cost $3 each to dispose of.

Offline 1greenman

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
    • The Healthy Family Variety Channel
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2016, 06:31:42 PM »
Poor thing.  Sounds like you got a good workout.  And paid, like a Gold's Gym membership. 

I hope things are going smoothly with the orchard and further renovation of that area.

Offline michaelnz

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2016, 12:34:31 AM »
If the house was built in 2008 there is a good chance the wood was chemically treated.

Offline 1greenman

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
    • The Healthy Family Variety Channel
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2016, 12:27:19 PM »
Well, when you say kiln dried lumber, is it small time production?

Or is it HomeDepot/Lowes/chain Lumber yard?

If small scale production, kiln dried, it probably isnt treated.

And i don't know of regular, cheap 2x4s, etc are ever treated at all, even at big box Lumber boys.