Author Topic: Rolled oats animal feed for human consumption?  (Read 3822 times)

Offline Mr J

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Rolled oats animal feed for human consumption?
« on: November 21, 2014, 04:15:10 PM »
Wonder if anyone has done this? I found rolled oats at tractor supply 50lbs for $20. I can remember reading somewhere it think it was Dick Proenneke book he used to eat rolled oats and preferred animal feed b/c of cost and freshness. I would think cosmetically would be inferior, but not nutritionally, any thoughts?

I'm trying to build up my bulk storage on the cheap, have done really well with copy canning, storing bulk b/c of neighbours, family and friends. 

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
Re: Rolled oats animal feed for human consumption?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2014, 04:19:34 PM »
I have done it with whole corn, when I make 'Corn Nuts'. It has not been approved for human-grade. It is somewhat questionable how it is handled, processed. Know your source... I try to get it off the combines when they are working the fields.

Cedar
"Do not breathe simply to exist."

"Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard

"A person who works with his hands is a laborer, A person who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman, A person who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an artist."

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2014, 05:45:49 PM »
with the price of People grade oats being this :

- 25 lb bag rolled oats, LDS facility $10.75
- 50 lb bag rolled oats, Azure standard, $26   25 lb bag is $14. They also have organic

Why would you want animal grade ? Both of these sources have fresh oats

I buy animal grade whole grains -- for my animals -- costs less and has dirt, and floor sweepings and bugs and other plant material, so for myself, I buy people grade
Accomplished tea drinker and baby goat watcher

nelson96

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2014, 05:57:13 PM »
Go visit the source first. . . .  as mountainmoma suggested, it could contain dirt, floor sweepings, bugs, and other material, as well as not as good of protection in control of 4-legged vermin (please, let your mind wander on that one).

Offline caverdude

• Survivalist Mentor
  • larrydgray.net
    • blog dot Larry D Gray dot net
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2014, 08:16:47 PM »
Anyone make Granola with the oats?
http://blog.larrydgray.net My Blog, survival, off-grid, self-sufficiency, energy-efficiency, homesteading, owner buidling
http://larrydgray.net  Off-Grid, Outdoors and other stuff.
http://arksoft.org Java Programming
http://off-grid.net  A good off grid living web site and forum.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2014, 10:21:31 PM »
I make granola, usually using the Laurals kitchen basic recipe, rolled oats, honey, raisons and chopped almonds or walnuts.
Accomplished tea drinker and baby goat watcher

Offline Fixit

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2014, 05:16:14 AM »
To hijack this thread a little but staying on oat . Why buy rolled oats . But whole oat grouts and roll your own . You know how flat tasting rolled oats taste ? When you roll them as you use them they have a sweet taste. After your oats have been rolled as little as 2 hours they have gone flat ( the oil has oxidize ) .
 I have used the same oat roller for 20 years . The brand I have has gone downhill on quality . The best I have found now for the money is linked below . No I don't make any money off this but I did research it last year for a group buy and they are very happy with these.

http://www.thewholetruth.org/Res_Oat.asp

Offline Oil Lady

• Lady oil lady oil la-dy hoo
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • My book needs more humor. My pen needs more salt.
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2014, 05:43:12 AM »
Great input so far. :)  I also wanna hear Texas Girl chime in.   8)
"This is the first scenario I've seen where I question the survivability of mankind." -- self-made billionaire Richard Rainwater in his business analysis of Peak Oil, "The Rainwater Prophecy," Fortune magazine, Dec 26, 2005

"This is an emergency far worse than World War I and World War II put together." -- CEO of Virgin Airlines, Sir Richard Branson on Peak Oil in CNN's investigative report "We Were Warned: Out of Gas" June 2007/May 2008 03:05

"We've got provisions and lots of beer. The key word is survival on the new frontier." --Steely Dan 1983

"... it doesn’t really matter who is removing your civil liberties, whether it is being done by a democratic government, a kleptocracy, a dictatorship or even the green police. When your civil rights are gone, they’re gone, and you really are in trouble, no matter how good the cause." --UK journalist Anthony Harrington, "Peak Oil and Collapse Scenarios," QFinance, September, 2011

Our parents used to say, "Don't worry, the government will take care of it."
And now our kids say, "Don't worry, the government will take care of us."

No food shall be grown that Monsanto does not own. (It all started with the disastrous 1980 SCOTUS ruling on Diamond v Chakrabarty. Petition your Congressman to revoke all patents on living things.)

"The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself." FDR 1937

The Tin Foil Hat Song by the League of Lady Conspiracists

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2014, 05:54:11 AM »
I had a buddy who ate dry dog food for years and was healthy,till his arm got broke when the car he was chasing hit him.... :o
Stop complaining about life and start Celebrating it .

I've reached the age where there is little left to learn the hard way.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Offline hnajee

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Rolled oats animal feed for human consumption? HELP
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2017, 02:54:06 AM »
Just had a stroke and must eat lots of oats for my cholesterol. I live in Saudi and don't have selection of oats besides instant oats. They taste completely different from what I used to eat in the US.  Can you please suggest where I can buy groats in bulk that will ship them to Saudi Arabia. Will hull them myself. Will also need a small hulling machine.
Thanks for your assistance and best

Offline CPT Morgan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Don't Be Tolerant Today Dead Tomorrow
Re: Rolled oats animal feed for human consumption? HELP
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2017, 10:49:30 AM »
Just had a stroke and must eat lots of oats for my cholesterol. I live in Saudi and don't have selection of oats besides instant oats. They taste completely different from what I used to eat in the US.  Can you please suggest where I can buy groats in bulk that will ship them to Saudi Arabia. Will hull them myself. Will also need a small hulling machine.
Thanks for your assistance and best

Bob's Red Mill is my favorite.  Maybe you could utilize the resources on their website that can point you to an online distributor.

http://www.bobsredmill.com/shop/oats.html

Online FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2017, 09:49:46 PM »
I second the Bob's Red Mill recommendation, everything they sell is top notch.  I buy 4 packs of their grains and beans from Amazon.
23:57:30