Author Topic: Fun stories from the reloading bench...  (Read 2774 times)

Offline RuggedCyclist

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Capitalist hippie
    • Boulder Stonecraft
Fun stories from the reloading bench...
« on: December 02, 2014, 11:34:32 PM »
So my friend put a .22 cal pellet (like for air pellet rifles) inside a .30 cal sabot, then loaded that into a .30-30 shell with only a magnum primer for the charge (no powder), the idea being "cheap indoor shooting for the .30-30!!"

It almost worked. It was plenty quiet and it shot the pellet alright, BUT now there's a sabot lodged on the barrel of his .30-30.
And it sounds like he's having trouble getting it out.  :rofl: 

Offline mnotlyon

• Senior Survivalist
Re: Fun stories from the reloading bench...
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 08:09:14 AM »
There's an easier way.

Melt some wax, and poor it into a pan till it's 1/4" thick or so.
Prime the case, and stuff the case into the hardened wax so that the case end acts like a cookie cutter. Bingo ready to go.

I've never tried this with a rifle, only revolvers, but it it creates a problem, the wax will be pretty easy to remove from the barrel.

Offline Ralph

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2014, 10:37:54 AM »
A black powder ball extractor may work. It's basically a tapered screw mounted so you can put it on a cleaning rod.

Offline Steve Cover

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Mr. C ..... Das Ugly Mutt
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2014, 01:39:12 PM »
There's an easier way.

Melt some wax, and poor it into a pan till it's 1/4" thick or so.
Prime the case, and stuff the case into the hardened wax so that the case end acts like a cookie cutter. Bingo ready to go.

I've never tried this with a rifle, only revolvers, but it it creates a problem, the wax will be pretty easy to remove from the barrel.
I've used that method for many years.

There are two Caveats to this practice.

One is primer setback freezing up the rotation of the cylinder.
The cure for that is to enlarge the flash hole.
Cases used for wax bullet shooting are thus non-reloadable with powder.
(My primary use is in my M-19 357 mag.  When the magnum brass wears out and starts to split at the neck, I trim them to 38 Spl. length and convert them for wax.)

The other problem is the fine glass particles used in the priming mixture.
During a normal firing of a cartridge, the temperatures are high enough to melt the particles and they are expelled as part of the bullet driving gas.
But primer only shooting does not produce enough heat to melt these particles.
They don't harm the bore but I always do a detail barrel cleaning after shooting wax bullets.

As a backstop for wax bullets, I hang a beach towel from a wire across the top of my garage.
Shooting into the lower 1/3rd of the towel, the bullet will not penetrate and just fall free into a box on the floor.
My targets are hung from another wire about a foot closer to the firing line.

During my days at the Skagit County Sherriff's office, I shot several thousand wax practice loads at seven yards.

As for indoor rifle practice, I agree with mnotlyon that wax would be the best way to go too.
With a closed breach in the rifle, primer setback shouldn't be a problem.

One other thing to consider, modify some old brass to accept shotgun primers for a stronger round.
Naturally, they would then be wax bullet only.

I have several adapters that allow me to shoot 22 and 25 cal. pellets in  my .22 hornet, 221 Fireball, .223, 22-250 and 257 Roberts guns.
Several of them have been modified for shotgun primer use.

A standard 22 rimfire bullet trap works fine as a backstop.

Hope this helps,

Steve

Offline armymars

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2014, 07:38:12 PM »
I've used 22 mag pellets with my 223 and 2grs of Red Dot in my Encore.

endurance

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2014, 01:30:05 PM »
Within about a month of learning to reload I accidentally forgot to put a powder charge in a 9mm shell. Of course I didn't discover this until I had a failure to feed. The cast lead bullet was about a half inch up the barrel and stopped the next round from closing at battery (thankfully). My solution was to remove the barrel, use my Makita drill, drill the back of the bullet and use an easy-out to gently pull it out from the breach.

After that I changed my reloading strategy to powdering the entire tray before adding the bullet rather than charging each she'll individually.