Author Topic: Original SOE  (Read 15778 times)

Offline arkangel13

• Prepper
Original SOE
« on: September 22, 2009, 04:21:20 PM »
OK so here's the deal. Years ago I bought some Patrol Mag pouches from John while I was on my first tour over in the sand box. I had never heard of his company before but I decided to give them a try. When they arrived I must say that I was extremely impressed with them and so were many of my colleagues. So impressed were they that many of them made purchases of their own Patrol Mag pouches. They went through many tours with me and are still in almost new condition (and any of you who have spent prolonged times in the desert know how harsh it can be on equipment). Recently I contacted John to ask if the pouches could be converted to MOLLE as mine were still ALICE. He informed me that it would be more trouble to convert them than it was worth but if I would give him my address he would send me some Rallyman Mag Pouches if I would review them on the boards for him. After sending profuse thanks and a very short wait my pouches have arrived.

So on to the review:

I would like to start with their service. I will have to say that the customer service at S.O.E. is second to none. John answered my emails personally and treated me as if I was his only customer and that all his business depended on me! That is something that you don't get many places at all. I have to say that I personally have never received that kind of service anywhere else.

As for the product, it is nothing less than I expected and that is fantastically over engineered to withstand just about anything that could possibly be thrown at it. When you look at these pieces of gear you can just see the quality and the care that go into creating them. The Rallyman is basically an upgraded version of the Patrol mag. It is the same basic design as far as i can tell with the exception that the pouch lid is completely removeable with hook-and-loop so that you can adjust to fit AR mags, AK mags or any other mags in between. Once the lid is adjusted to fit the mags it also has hook-and-loop on the other side of the lid to augment the adjustable slide lock buckle. This gives the pouch excellent mag retention if you are patrolling in dense vegetation or jumping out of a plane or participating in any other activity that would require extra retention for your mags. There are two MOLLE loops on each side of the pouch as well for the addition of other accessories such as pistol mag pouches. There is also a large grommet in the bottom for quick drainage of any water that might get inside. As for the stitching, this thing is done right. I count Five, that's right I said five lines of stitching at all of the major attachment points where any piece of the puzzle that makes up this mag pouch comes together.

So far this pouch is nothing short of what I would have expected from John. And I am looking forward to posting an additional review as soon as I get a chance to use it in the field. I will also post some pics as soon as I can find my camera.

First post in this topic. woo hoo.

EDIT:  Edited title for thread merge only - Firetoad
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 08:49:38 AM by firetoad »

James Yeager

Re: S.O.E. Rallyman Mag Pouches
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009, 06:28:18 AM »
Very nice of you to review them.

SOE Mag Pouches

Offline arkangel13

• Prepper
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2009, 11:54:00 AM »
Thank you. It was definitely no problem especially seeing as how well I was treated by them. And come on everybody, I know that there are more of you out there packing John's gear around. Lets get some more reviews going and help get the word out for S.O.E. Even if it's just a quick "I have his gear and it rocks".

Offline delta69alpha

• Prepper
    • PAw productions
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2009, 05:01:20 AM »
I have some JW's stuff.
I need to sit downand write up a review. i wore all that i had just the past week. couldnt have been happier.

Offline delta69alpha

• Prepper
    • PAw productions
OSOE COBRA belt and bungee sling review 56k warning.
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2009, 06:02:48 AM »
A bit back i received my COBRA belt and Bungee slings for John at OSOE.

The belt.
Johns web site pics/description do not do this belt justice! If you want a Belt that will be  here in 500 years. This is the belt for you.
Normally i wear a standard BDU style belt on my pants or a leather belt( off work) . The COBRA is a tad over built for normal everyday pants wear, but is well built for anything you could throw at or hang off of  it while tossing lead down range!

Back to how it is built. The belt is custom made to your body. You do not order the belt by saying  " yeah john send me a large..in OD..." and that is it. It is tailored to YOU and YOU only.  I had some issue understanding this and John and his GREAT customer service helped me over that block .  The issue i have is that i have made some lifestyle changes and i have been dropping off the pounds. John knew this after talking with him and it was offered to re tailor the belt down the road if i ever hit the skinny Minny ville  ! Again AWESOME guy to deal with and great service . The belt is held together via a heavy duty aircraft grade,milled,bullet proof,nuke proof,run over by a tank proof buckle. I know that sounds crazy but when you see the belt you'll understand!  The buckle is super fast to get in and out of. This is why i have the belt as part of my "battle" belt setup. This way during training i can remove it fast if need be or during water breaks. It is also hoop and looped backed. Making it grip any belt or pants it is woven thru.

I recently wore this combo with the OSOE COBRA belt for over 9 hours during a training session.  I had a eagle drop leg, BOK,G18 knife,carbiner and 2 extra pistol mags as my line 1 /belt rig.  The belt did not sag,twist,bend, kink or anything the whole day. It supported the  load without bouncing around while running or riding up or sliding down when going prone or kneeling.
The buckle system did not clog withdirt or grass and other debris. It had positive lock up and unlocked with out issue through out the day! I can not say the same for cheaper belts i have worn !

Overall if you want a belt that will handle everything you can toss at it and then some. The OSOE COBRA is the way to go!
Here are some pics i took of it to give you a better idea of how well Johns gear is made.(excuse my bad lighting , I'm trying to be fancy and not take point and shoot crap pictures lol )
Overall view of  how i ran the COBRA belt.

close ups /detail of the buckle system and belt construction.

OSOE single bungee sling review

Over the years i have ran either a 2 point sling or a 3 point HK style sling. The way i wear my 2 point is shown in the film on James Yeager's youtube channel on the AK sling review. I never cared for how it got in the way during mag changes on the run.
So i was looking for alternative options for my sling set up. After speaking with John at OSOE i received a single ,and convertible bungee about the same time i received my COBRA belt.

The slings like other OSOE items are built like tanks!  I was Leary of the single point style at 1st and it has taken some time to grow on me. I recently used it all day training and was impressed by it.  The main advantage of the single point system is your freedom of movement. With 2 points and 3 points i always felt restricted in how i could manipulate the rifle when in tight confines.  This freedom allowed me open room to do mag changes on the go with out worry of alsing flopping around in my way, MAJOR plus for me.  The slings are pretty much universal which means they will go on any rifle you have. I have mine on an AK and on HK91, Ive also swapped them around to test fit/feel and there is no issue on either!
The other plus to it is the stretch.

The  OSOE the bungee system allows you so much freedom of movement it is not funny. Shoulder transitions are effortless. You don't choke yourself on tight straps going from left to right. You have that extra give to clear gear, obstacles that may get in the way. Something that web slings do not offer. 
Another aspect of this system that is advantageous that many may not think about it is being choked by your sling. I'm not talking about jumping out of your car and hanging up kind of choke but  a hand  to hand fight choke. Recently during a H2H combative class i took, weapons were involved . You learn very  fast that every part of a weapon can now be used to stop the fight ( either as a defender or attacker) !
The sling is no different. Those who were attacked and had web slings at times had their own slings used against them when trying to retain their rifle while in a ground struggle. The OSOE bungee's made it damn near impossible for an attacker to do so because they stretch. This allowed time for the defender to gain control of a sidearm or knife to end the fight. Like i said this is not something i think many think of but it became a positive thing when i was on my back struggling with an attacker trying use my rifle and sling to subdue me!  The stretch also allowed me to swing the butt around faster than what one could with a  3 point web sling, again it's all in the stretch.

Both slings performed flawlessly during my use of them, and i  am sure they will continue to do so.  The mounting options for the slings mean no matter what rifle i have i can use OSOE's slings on them! The only draw back is on the convertible. The tag end where the mash clip is located needed to be longer to loop around the rear stock on my AK ( its fullwood). Those with AR's or 6 position style stocks would not encounter this. By not being able to mount it in the same spot as the single, it hung a tad to low. 1-2 inches longer on that end would cure everything for those with wood stocks, or it can be fixed by the user.   I had to at least say one small negative thing...this ain't a perfect world yet, but Johns gear is pretty damn close!!

Offline delta69alpha

• Prepper
    • PAw productions
Re: OSOE COBRA belt and bungee sling review 56k warning.
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2009, 07:02:15 AM »
I wanted to editinsome pics- but i guess there is a time limit.

ANyway. here are some pictures of the single point sling attched to my rifle. along with details of the attachment points.

550 attachment point-

550 vs web attachment points-

sling mounted on rifle-

Offline JJM

• Prepper
SOE Wallet
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2010, 05:25:19 AM »
John Willis, as Jack says, makes awesome gear.  I received a wallet from him two days ago and cannot over emphasize the quality of his craftsmanship.  The stitching, material selection, and design are awesome.

It is a trifold wallet with a clear id window two exposed card slots in the middle and one card slot on the other end that fully covers the cards.  The only thing I would change about the wallet, and this is minor, is that it's probably 1/4" taller than it needs to be. 

Working with John was great.  I couldn't have asked for a better experience.  He was out of the color material I wanted and made some.  He could have just said, "I'm out.  You can have so and so."  I can tell he cares about his customers. 

Bottom line, he's made a believer out of me.  When I finally get some money dedicated to a rifle class I'll be buying more gear from him.  I don't need to look anywhere else. 

Offline John Willis

• Survivor
    • Special Operations Equipment
Re: SOE Wallet
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2010, 12:43:12 AM »
Thanks for the great review. We get $15.00 for these. If any one else would like one I'll let them go this week for $10.00 if you mention in your order that you saw this thread.

May be we could do some TSP logo wallets in the future some time.

Available here: http://www.originalsoegear.com/wallet.html

Offline srob308

• Prepper
Re: SOE Wallet
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2010, 09:02:45 PM »
I have multiple pieces of SOE gear and will never buy anything else! I needed some custom suspenders for my rig and Joe took care of me ASAP. It's nice to deal with people that truly care about what there customers need and expect. I learned of John through Tactical Response and can't thank them enough for exposing me to the best gear made. Keep up the good work John.

Scott

PS
I'm going to have to try one of those wallets!

Offline BrianTN

• Prepper
Re: OSOE COBRA belt and bungee sling review 56k warning.
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2010, 01:49:55 PM »
John and his GREAT customer service helped me over that block . 

I’ve seen a few posts saying that John Willis has great customer service, but I'm going to have to disagree with that. I paid Mr. Willis for an order worth $500 in June 2006 and have yet to see anything I bought.  He hasn’t replied to a single email for about 2 years now.  I've tried multiple email addresses of mine, all referring to the original address I placed the order with.  I've verified his email address through his website and with people that say he is easy to get in touch with.  I've tried to get him to send a phone number so I can call him.  I’ve sent him my phone number to call me.  I've tried sending instant messages through various forums such as this one. 

I was fine with waiting as I’m not in the military, but I think nearing 4 years is a little excessive, especially when there isn’t bad costumer service, but zero costumer service.  I really don't think I'm asking for much, I just want what I paid for, or at this point, a refund.

Offline Serellan

• REMF
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Diligenter et Fideliter
Re: Original SOE
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2010, 12:00:58 PM »
Topics Merged.

Offline AF275

• Prepper
    • AF275 Blog
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2011, 11:13:33 AM »
Figure I would ad my experience with John and OSOE, was going to make a thread but glad I did some digging first.

The customer service was fantastic, they really took care of me well, and the quality is top notch. I dealt with John through the OSOE Facebook page and messages were answered within an hour of sending them, any day of the week. The turn around wasn't an issue to me, it didn't ship out next day or anything was a few weeks, but I don't rely on this gear for my daily job or to keep me safe in a combat situation so I had no issue waiting, I know there are guys needing this stuff ASAP for a deployment or the like , SOE will take care of them first, which I applaud.

Plus I really like that I am supporting a TN business at the same time.

And the gear I got:

Mookie War Rig light 8 mag

Got a light pouch and battery wallet as well, attached to rig using Blackhawk speedclips. The pouch holds my Streamlight Scorpion for size reference, and the battery wallet holds 4 CR123 batteries

Red Bull carrier

12ga pull out tray, holds 16rds, and fits in any M4/AK mag pouch

12ga pull out in rig pouch

Visor cover

Their FB page:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Special-Operations-Equipment/372313363858

Offline BrianTN

• Prepper
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2011, 03:44:29 PM »
Just thought I'd mention that I still have not received my $500+ order from 5 years ago. 

Offline well illuminated

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2011, 01:37:28 PM »
i've used some soe equipment here and there for work - on a personal level i bought a bungee 1 / 2 point sling - use it quite a bit - everything seems to be made very well - reminiscent of eagle industries / tactical tailor

Offline WhiteBear620

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2015, 08:34:12 PM »
Just wanted to add another good word for John. I ordered a Micro Rig from them, did want to double check with John prior to ordering that they would charge at time of order instead of at shipping so that I knew I wouldn't have to leave the money in my account until they were able to ship, John answered very quickly and instructed me not to order if I didn't want to wait. I told him I had no problem waiting for quality and ordered. I think I had my rig within like two weeks!  ;D Fantastic build quality, I'm a convert.
Was gonna order my riggers' belt from John, but I sinned and ordered one from Fusion instead; not a bad belt, but I imagine John's would be much better.
I think my step mom and DW will be getting combat cocks as part of their Christmas gifts this year, I'll probably order the H harness for my rig when I do that.  :clap:

Offline ShannonB

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Prepper Mom
    • B4Gear.net
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2015, 10:33:42 PM »
We love SOE! Everyone in my house has a riggers belt. When Mom passed we ordered one and a special "cock" for my Dad. I knew about the 8 week wait, but emailed them and had his stuff in 2 weeks..... I have another order that just shipped yesterday.

Offline MonkeyFarts

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2015, 07:23:45 PM »
O.S.O.E.
  Great gear,  great owner with a great mindset.
John Willis and crew run a top notch business.
I have ordered. .....

Low profile edc belt w/velcro.    This is an outstanding ccw belt.

Tri fold wallet. ...frickin bomb proof.   I have had this wallet soaked through repeatedly with my sweat.   And wouldn't you know it. Still looks like new.   Just awesome and not to thick.

Cobra riggers belt. .just redirected this one recently so far outstanding.

I would highly recommend the low pro belt.
Just remember when ordering a belt to order the same size you wear in pants.   Seriously.   Do not over think it.