Author Topic: charging aa's with wind  (Read 3284 times)

Offline Speaker0311

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
charging aa's with wind
« on: December 26, 2014, 01:43:09 PM »
So now I have a homemade wind generator but I dont think i will make enough power to charge my 12v battery bank and  really dont have a good reason to do that anyway.

Does anyone know what I need to do to be able to charge aa's or aaa's which would be extremely useful to me and I think allot easier than topping a deep cycle 12v.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
Re: charging aa's with wind
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2014, 03:51:28 AM »
Depending on the current output a simple diode and small lightbulb in series (light bulb to limit current)and you gave a charger that will not back feed the wind-gen.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2014, 06:46:38 AM »
Check out some of the AA battery chargers that people built on Instructables.  You'll have to look through several to find exactly what you are looking for, but I've never not found what I needed on there.

Offline Comrad

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2014, 09:39:27 PM »
You can definitely do it, just bear in mind that you'll need to drop the voltage down to the appropriate level. This will vary depending on how many batteries you intend to charge at once (you could just wire them all in parallel keeping a constant voltage but reduced current). You can probably pick up a dedicated voltage regulator for this, or just use an easily sourced LM317 and some resistors to get you what you need. Chuck in a 4001 diode to prevent back feeding and you should be good to go.

This is a perfect application for small scale wind turbines.