Author Topic: Where are people finding powder?  (Read 4389 times)

Offline Barton

• Survivor
  • Quail Daddy
Where are people finding powder?
« on: December 18, 2014, 07:23:23 PM »
Some reloading powders are slowing making their way in stock where I live, but it is mostly powders that I can't use. 

I'm looking for either Accurate 1680 or Hodgedon 110 and can't find them anywhere.  I'm building a gun that I may not be able to shoot. 
Anybody have any strategies on how to obtain these powders?

Offline Mortblanc

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Where are people finding powder?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 09:51:36 AM »
There is no "strategy", you can not buy what is not there.

Until all this is over, if it ever is over, a startup reloader venturing into anything but big magnum calibers or high volume medium bores (those are the only powders that have been available for months) is pretty much screwed.

Being a true skinflint for most of my life I never ventured into calibers that required single purpose powders.

Instead, I stocked up on powders that would cover a variety of calibers.  One powder for my medium bores, one for the small bores and one for pistols.  I was stockpiled well in advance of the current problems.

My "strategy" is to only load a small batch of the caliber that is needed right now, using a well proven load tested before this insanity started. 

That way I keep the main supply of powder intact and have a couple of boxes available for each rifle.  If I am required to suddenly use a large volume of one caliber the powder is available and not invested in 1,000 preloaded cartridges that only fit another gun.

For defense calibers I selected options that allowed large volume cheap, bulk purchases and I let the Russians do my reloading for that need.  I can buy loaded Russian ammo at less than the cost of a jacketed bullet for reloading one of my medium bores.

As for a solution to your immediate problem, sorry, everyone else is looking for one also.

Offline TiredOldGrunt

• Senior Survivalist
  • Tabbed: "Regular Guy"
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2014, 04:19:54 PM »
Mort,
Please share with us your powder choices and applications, thank you kindly.

Ive just started reloading and have only used Power Pistol, but have fallen in love with it!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCE24PAw8IU

I really really really want more, but will settle for a few pounds of Unique.

While still new to reloading, I am a sponge in search of water to soak up!

TOG

Offline Mortblanc

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2014, 08:54:12 PM »
I will use other powders for specific applications when they are available but I have three that I use to cover all calibers for the type of emergency powder shortage use we now face. 

Unique- for pistols in all calibers.  It may not be the best for each application but it performs acceptably in all calibers.  It also has enough bulk that it will overflow if double charged in auto-pistol cases and let you know you are an idiot.

3031 for small case rifles, AR, and 30-30.  It can be used in some bigger cases but I like to save it for the small case rifles.

4350 for all my center-fire rifles from .243-.35 Whelan.  It is an "old dude powder" but it works in everything and is extremely consistent.  I have been shooting 4350 for 40 years and have safe, accurate, well tested loads in all my favorite calibers that were worked out as my best loads before many of the readers here were born.

There are other powders that will work about as well.  Clays comes to mind for pistols. I could also live with 4320 for big rifles, 4198, or 4064.  My powders are just the list I settled on many years ago just to cover all my survival needs.

Because of the current situation I now have some variations in the powders on the shelf due to buying what is available when I see it.  I have also been cut in on some good deals on assorted powder through my shooting club and in these times you just do not say "No I don't use that powder" when an 8 pound keg is set down in front of you.

Offline TiredOldGrunt

• Senior Survivalist
  • Tabbed: "Regular Guy"
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2014, 09:11:47 PM »
Whats your powder choice for .308 Win sir?  What works well and is reasonably available?
Thanks...

endurance

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2014, 09:48:06 PM »
Whats your powder choice for .308 Win sir?  What works well and is reasonably available?
Thanks...
H380 was my favorite for .308. Very clean and accurate. Availability varies by region. My shop has it intermittently.

Offline trekker111

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2014, 11:07:16 PM »
Grunt, what bullet weight are you looking at in the 308? I shoot almost exclusively 168gr and have had good results with benchmark, BL(c)2, and varget.

For the OP, it is important to have several reloading manuals. What cartridge(s) and bullet weights are you intending to reload? It can help with a suggestion for a replacement until you can find what you are looking for. I am assuming a large bore pistol cartridge.

If you can't find it locally, the only possible option is to order it, which means hazmat fees, which also means buying in bulk if you want to mitigate the extra fee, and being willing to wait. I would place an order with some place like midwayusa.com who will usually let you place on order for an out of stock item and go on a waiting list for shipment. They have accurate 1680 for $148 per 8lb jug.

Offline Mortblanc

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2014, 08:26:24 AM »
Thanks...

I stated above that I prefer 4350 for all mid range calibers, which includes .308.  I have a 4350 load using a 168 gn bullet that shoots into 3/8" (center to center) @100yards from my rifle.

The best place I see immediately for supply is Natchez Shooter's Supply.  Natchez seems to have several offerings from several makers.

There will be a hazmat fee so a bulk purchase only makes sense.  The fee is based on set limit poundage so you might as well order a few thousand primers too and get ahead of the game.

The days of telling someone they need to get this powder, the other brand of primers and a specific bullet are gone for the near future.  You get what you can use, or make work, wherever you can find it.

As was pointed out, a large variety of reloading manuals and a good burn rate chart are the best friend a reloader can have these days.  That big list of loads is also a big list of powders one can press into service.  The burn rate chart will allow possible substitutions when no reloading data is available.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 08:37:50 AM by Mortblanc »

Offline Barton

• Survivor
  • Quail Daddy
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2014, 10:18:17 AM »
Update:  I did some homework and found other powders that would also work and found 2 of them locally.  I'll work up some loads and see how they workout.

I did find that I could buy H110 from GunBroker.com but they are offered at price gouging prices of $40 and up per pound.

Offline Barton

• Survivor
  • Quail Daddy
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2014, 11:55:46 AM »
Update #2:  Realizing that my family was getting together for Christmas and would be driving in from other states, I asked them to check their local shops for powder.  My Dad just called and said he found 2 pounds, bought them and will be driving them down.  It seems that different areas sell out of different powders, but some powders are still very rare.

I'll be in reloading heaven. :)