Author Topic: Spy drone reveals questionable waste-disposal practices at modern hog farm  (Read 3251 times)

Offline Oil Lady

• Lady oil lady oil la-dy hoo
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • My book needs more humor. My pen needs more salt.
Documentary filmmaker Mark Devries used spy drones to show the world a 5-minute glimpse at the exterior of a factory farm hog operation in North Carolina. In this video expose, he specifically wants to draw attention to how these massive operations handle the intensive waste produced by the pigs. Local citizens are literally being sprayed with hog piss and hog shit from the waste pond because some genius figured out that if you spray the liquid content of the cess pool high into the air with high-pressure hoses, the droplets disperse into the air and float away on the breeze. But the breeze really just carries the droplets a few hundred yards down the road to the residential houses of neighboring citizens.  (The result is kind of like the famous "pineapple showers" in Hawaii, only not as romantic.)

He includes three very telling interviews in this brief video. He interviews a local neighbor who explains that whenever the hog farm starts spraying, it's just like rain, except it stinks, and they have to go indoors and shut the windows. He interviews a career hog farmer who says he got out of hog farming because he couldn't morally justify inflicting such misery on his neighbors, especially the children. He also interviews a professor of epidemiology at UNC who elaborates on the human health impact that this method of waste disposal has on local citizens. 

The filmmaker also reports that there are over 2,000 such hog operations in North Carolina alone.

5 minutes. safe for work

http://www.trueactivist.com/this-guy-exposes-factory-farms-using-a-drone-this-is-what-he-found-so-far/?utm_source=fb&utm_medium=mam&utm_campaign=mam

I admit I love bacon. But this is atrocious.

Offline Prodigy

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Better to die on your feet than live on your knees
Re: Spy drone reveals questionable waste-disposal practices at modern hog farm
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2014, 01:12:59 PM »
And this one of those times the "sue happy" status of this country actually comes in handy.  I hope all those farms get the crap sued out of them  (pun intended!).

Offline flippydidit

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Keep 'em shooting!
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2014, 03:45:14 PM »
Couldn't we just relocate the hog farms to encircle Capitol Hill?

Bonnieblue2A

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2014, 05:15:32 PM »
We've had some problems with a high concentration hog operation in my state. Following a leak into a conservation area river' the operation seeks to expand against the wishes of the local population.

After seeing Mark Shepard's pasture/apple/chestnut/ hazelnut raised pigs, hand feeding them cider apples, and giving one belly scritches while it smiled at me,  I am finished with large scale commercially raised pork. (or so I hope).  There really is no reason pigs raised for human consumption cannot be humanely raised.  I purchased my first home-raised hog portion in 2014 and will keep doing so as long as that particular homesteader continues to have a few hogs every year; or, until I begin raising my own.