Author Topic: MFJ: Is it really Mighty Fine Junk??  (Read 6342 times)

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
MFJ: Is it really Mighty Fine Junk??
« on: December 26, 2014, 03:25:35 PM »
I don't have the personal experience to form a valid opinion, but I keep seeing the "Mighty Fine Junk" epithet tossed around a lot in online reviews so I've shied away from their stuff.  What do you guys think?

23:57:30

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
Re: MFJ: Is it really Mighty Fine Junk??
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2014, 04:03:54 PM »
I've generally had good luck with their stuff.  To date, I've bought two trap dipoles, an antenna analyzer, a ferrite choke balun (the only thing of theirs I've had fail), a tuner, and various other small parts.  It's not slick, it's not over-built, but it is durable enough and functional.  And the price is usually right.

I swear, there are times it seems like "Baofeng" is Cantonese for "hot mess."

Offline keebler

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2014, 04:08:17 PM »
I have bought some junk & some I have still do just fine-.,It used to be people tried to find a car made on Wednesday---(made properly rather than a Monday)(workers all hung over)  or a Friday where (lets get ur done & get out of here ).
I have been given (junk) & with a few hours labor---fix the item & it works for years..
I used to repair microwaves & give them away to the needy if they didn't cost more than $15.oo
I had to quit that since you can buy a new one $39+ not worth my time.
but I have probably 30 of them on pallets out in the rain. guy I buy fire wood from wants to trade Metal/wood...good deal for me--(I think).
I used to get some white Food grade 3 gallon buckets from friend,, got 8 free he cleaned them HP washer.(FREE JUNK)
Keebler.
single. m. Senior, prepper, solar, Vandweller, Camper, Boondocker. living in the woods of southern Va.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2014, 03:57:30 AM »
MFJ had suffered from quality control and questionable solder techniques in the early years ,but NOW ,with the level of product complexity,they have really good workmanship for their production line. Martin F. Jue is raising the bar for many manufacturers.
Stop complaining about life and start Celebrating it .

I've reached the age where there is little left to learn the hard way.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Offline backwoods_engineer

• Survivalist Mentor
  • An engineer trying to get back to the woods
    • Backwoods Engineer's Blog
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2014, 04:57:40 PM »
I'm a believer.  MFJ really is Mighty Fine Junk.  I've given Martin F. Jue many a dollar.

Offline armymars

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2015, 05:52:26 PM »
  Every MFJ product I've bought had at lest one cold solder joint in it. I'm glad to hear they are taking care of that.

Offline TiredOldGrunt

• Senior Survivalist
  • Tabbed: "Regular Guy"
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2015, 07:01:14 PM »
Ive had several MFJ items, a few have been HF tuners, never had a problem with new or old gear.

They are not regarded as top of the line, nor do they carry that price tag.

Id say they meet a specific price point, reasonable price for reasonable quality gear.

Many of there products are "speciality items" and cant be found "elsewhere".  I am looking at there 12W 40m SSB radio for field use,  I cant find one like it at that price!  (10W is only 3db *correct me if Im wrong* below a 100w signal, translation: its a viable means of communication!)

Anywho, I wouldnt hesitate buying MFJ gear, but bear in mind you might get one with a grimlin and need to exchange to get one thats right, but hey...   so is life.

Bad rep from the past, plus over realistic expectations = "Muther ??????? junk", which... it is not IMHO.

I even had there auto tuner for 600w when I ran a linear/amp...  Only reason I sold it was because I was going back to pure barefoot operation (100w).  Tuner  ran fine!

TOG

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2015, 08:12:47 PM »
Many of there products are "speciality items" and cant be found "elsewhere".  I am looking at there 12W 40m SSB radio for field use,  I cant find one like it at that price!  (10W is only 3db *correct me if Im wrong* below a 100w signal, translation: its a viable means of communication!)
Ah, 10w is 10 dB down.  3 dB down would be half-power, i.e. 50w.  But still... this is PLENTY of power for chatting 100 miles over via NVIS, when the bands are only marginally cooperative.

Anywho, I wouldnt hesitate buying MFJ gear, but bear in mind you might get one with a grimlin and need to exchange to get one thats right, but hey...   so is life.
And they really do have a good guarantee policy "No Matter What for one year," as well as an excellent reputation for going the extra mile to make things right.

Offline TiredOldGrunt

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2015, 08:49:54 PM »
Thanks for the correction Alan!!!

I think we still agree, 10-12W HF still aint "QRP", you can QSO with it no problem!  Maybe not as strong a signal as 100W, but yeah... it works FB!

FWIW, 100W CW has the "efficiency" of "600W phone".... same with PSK, other digital modes..

TOG

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2015, 10:29:16 PM »
QRP is 5 watts CW...10 watts SSB as per ARRL guidelines for contests
Stop complaining about life and start Celebrating it .

I've reached the age where there is little left to learn the hard way.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Offline TiredOldGrunt

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2015, 05:37:38 PM »
Yes Carl, we know... Thank *GOD* ARRL is here to define these things because we couldnt do it ourselves.. 

(I kid, kinda...)
TOG

Offline armymars

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2015, 10:23:24 AM »
  I agree with Tired Old Grunt,
      MFJ does have a number of specialty products. Most of their analyzers will measure reactants as well as a match to 50 ohms or not. If you know your coax length then you can calculate the antenna's impedance. 

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2016, 05:02:11 PM »
Just finished listening to a podcast of the shortwave "QSO Show" from last December.  The guest was Richard Stubbs, customer service manage at MFJ.  Interesting insight into the company, gives a good view into how nerdariffic they are.  Here's the link: http://tedrandall.com/pages/podcasts.php, you'll have to scroll down.

Offline Canadian Prepper

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2016, 10:20:46 AM »
Well, I picked up the MFJ-1919EX eighteen foot telescoping tripod yesterday and made a point of opening the box at the store before taking it home.

For the most part I'm happy with it, but it included two knobs on screws and a pin in a separate bag, and I can't for the life of me find any instructions or a way to install them! There's one screw hole where the three lets meet up on the main tube, but when I look down it I don't see anything for the knobs to screw into.

The tripod seems rugged enough for temporary use, but I'd probably need some extra hands to lift and tie the dipole ends so that it doesn't topple down when doing so. I could manage to erect is as a very sharp inverted V but neither the performance or ability to tune on some bands was as good as I know the antenna can do. I'll need to figure that out, since it doesn't tune on 10m, but that's the band I wanted to primarily use it on (properly cut for 10m and at half a wavelength, versus tuning to part of the band on my end fed wire.

I digressed, but the inability to figure out how to attach those knobs and lack of instructions irks me!