Author Topic: permaculture for begginers/dummies?  (Read 3543 times)

Offline rooster_01

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
permaculture for begginers/dummies?
« on: January 02, 2015, 10:43:32 PM »
hi everybody, i was wondering if anybody knows how i could find information about learning permaculture for straight beginners? like those books that they have for dummies lol. so a permaculture for dummies. ive been listening to pod casts and looking up information but unfortunately not alot of people understand that their are true beginners that have never even grew a garden, which i am planning on doing to get my hands dirty but i want to learn more about permaculture and start doing it asap. but all the info i can find i really cant find a true beginners guide that explains everything like zones, and when i plant an apple tree what other supporting stuff can i help that tree or plant grow. lol, stuff like that. thank you for all your future help and thank you for your time. and i apologize in advance if this issue has already been asked and i am just repeating it and wasting all of your time. lol, im shutting up now

Offline R_Morgan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Combat Veteran
Re: permaculture for begginers/dummies?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2015, 07:38:26 AM »
I would buy the following books (typing on my phone so the book names/author will be seperated by a period).  Introduction to permaculture by Bill Mollison. Gaias garden by toby hemenway. Sepp Holzer's Permaculture by Sepp Holzer.  Those three books will wet your whistle with what you need to understand the basics of permaculture and its concepts. They are also fun to read and informative/entertaining. By this I mean they are written to capture your imagination and are not just drone facts, figures and in depth explanations( which is good to, but not when you are just starting out). The "Bible" is probably "permaculture designers manual" by bill mollison, but it is very dry and is a reference tool and you should wait for that until you start a pdc (permaculture design course). There is a thread in this area that lists a "free" pdc.  The info is free but the design certificate costs around 500 to become "official". I can't speak as to the info and how good it is because I haven't taken the time to go through it however it is free (https://www.openpermaculture.com/welcome-page). I would read those first three books THEN look at registering for a pdc. They will get you hyped up without drowing you in a lot of info. If you are going the full farming route I would recommend "restoration agriculture" by mark sheperd.  Great book, he focuses more on larger farms and not backyards, but still great info.  Later I would look at getting "mycelium running" by paul stamets as well as "edible food forests" by eric tonesmier(sp?).  There are many many more books as you get depper into it. Stick with those first three for now

Offline Hurricane

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2015, 08:20:47 AM »
Thank You!

Offline Caveat

• Prepper
  • Might as well smile.
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2015, 09:20:43 AM »
Thank you rmorganGNP.  My local library has some of the books you suggest so I am starting there.
Then I am going to check out some online things from thread http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=52184.0http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=52184.0
Definitely going to be a busy year.

Offline rooster_01

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2015, 09:45:36 PM »
thank you guys for all the great advice. i will get to work on looking for all the info you gave me. much appreciated

Offline R_Morgan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Combat Veteran
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2015, 10:09:59 PM »
Once you read those first three books you should look into a pdc and once you do you'll start to get hooked into the community and fellow practicioners...once that happens you will have no shortage of recommended books to read!  I currently have a backlog of 12 books at the beginning of this year, 9 of which are permaculture related and those are JUST the ones I bought!

Offline bigbear

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2015, 01:33:48 PM »
Has anyone read either "The Holistic Orchard" by Michael Phillips or"Edible Landscapic with a Permaculture Twist"?

The first seem targeted towards mini orchard/fruit forest.  While the second is geared toward 'beginner' projects and permaculture concepts.

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website Maintenance and Online Presence Management by Mr. Bill
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2017, 12:47:52 PM »
...There is a thread in this area that lists a "free" pdc.  The info is free but the design certificate costs around 500 to become "official". I can't speak as to the info and how good it is because I haven't taken the time to go through it however it is free (https://www.openpermaculture.com/welcome-page). ...

Jack's comment:

Note the people behind this are complete and total scum.  Do not have anything to do with them!  At all, ever.  They literally have threatened to sue people over bad reviews and for being kicked out of private yahoo groups which they were spamming.

When you sign up there TOS literally says you give them permission to sue you. 

Notice to MODS, the people from this organization are scum, they are to be brutally beaten with the ban hammer if they show up EVER, if you provide me with IPs I will ban them from the server or admins you are free to do so as well.

Thanks to Paul Wheaton for letting me know about this, this episode of TSP gives the entire story,

http://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com/challenges-of-urban jump to about 7 minutes to get the skinny. 

Vlad, you are a scum bag!  Now go ahead and threaten to sue me!