Author Topic: What would you do? (Fictitious CCW Scenarios)  (Read 4787 times)

Offline Black November

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Lifetime MSB & PermaEthos Founding Member
What would you do? (Fictitious CCW Scenarios)
« on: January 15, 2015, 02:56:41 PM »
What would you do in the following situations?

1. Belligerent Asshole - You are walking down the street with your spouse, when an intoxicated guy stumbles up to you and starts getting in your face looking for trouble. You are carrying a firearm, and uncomfortable with the proximity of the man, but do not yet fear for your life. However, if there is a scuffle you worry about retaining your firearm.

2. Possible Transient Mugging - You are walking down the street, and see two transients arguing 30 yards away. There is a large man demanding money from a much smaller woman. He not hitting her, but grabbing her firmly and roughly shaking her while he talks. They both look homeless and may even know each other. You are carrying a firearm, and nobody else is around.

3. Angry Driver - You are in a minor fender bender. It's unclear who is at fault. When you get out to exchange insurance info, the other driver gets upset blaming you for the accident. He is threatening to kick your ass and looks pretty serious about it. You are carrying a firearm.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
Re: What would you do? (Fictitious CCW Scenarios)
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2015, 03:01:20 PM »
"Do not breathe simply to exist."

"Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard

"A person who works with his hands is a laborer, A person who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman, A person who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an artist."

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2015, 03:31:42 PM »
In none of the 3 is life directly endangered...I would do nothing besides be more alert and get out of the congressional halls.
Stop complaining about life and start Celebrating it .

I've reached the age where there is little left to learn the hard way.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Offline Black November

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Lifetime MSB & PermaEthos Founding Member
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2015, 04:01:22 PM »
Many of us on this forum know not to draw a firearm in any of these types of situations.

However, I have two co-workers who answered differently.

:'( One co-worker naively ask "what's the point of carrying a gun if you are not going to use it." He said he would draw but not shoot in certain situations (Wrong!!)

:D Another co-worker had a much better answer then my classic "do nothing" answer. He said that "doing nothing doesn't get you out of the situation" and that he would:

1. Command the person to back up while turning his body and creating distance from the firearm. If necessary he would also use his hands to create space from the aggressor. He said he would also brush-up on his retention skills if he felt they were inadequate. 

2. Pull out his phone and video the altercation while calling the 911.

3. Clearly request the insurance information, and inform them that you will be forced to call the cops if they do not comply. If you feel threatened get back in the car, lock the doors, and call the cops.

All too often we only think of whether to shoot or not shoot. There are many other things to consideration in a no-shoot scenario. 
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 04:19:46 PM by Black November »

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2015, 04:59:32 PM »
In situations where you're approached it's been suggested to announce "if you don't stop <command goes here>, I will fear for my safety".

There are a few reasons:

It's CYA with witnesses/911 dispatch. (know a better way to PROVE you feared for your life?)
It could actually de-escalate the situation.
It could buy you an extra second or two
It's a way to subtly imply that you will use deadly force without it being a legal threat.  (no idea if the average thug would process this or not)

I don't personally know someone who's announced that AND had to draw and shoot. 

Offline Zef_66

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2015, 10:37:50 AM »
While reading through those, I never considered drawing a CCW. As others stated, they are not life threatening situations and don't require life taking force.

1. I would keep myself between my wife and I. I would emphasize that if anything happens, get directly to the car, or in a store, and call police. I would try to ignore and remove myself and my wife from the situation by not replying and moving faster. In no way am I going to physically put my hands on the person, push them, yell, or speak angrily to them as that will probably escalate the situation.

2. I would check my surroundings. If I can find someone else, I would get with them to have them watch what goes down. I would call police, describe what is happening and what the people look like as clearly as possible. At no time would I advance towards them. In fact, I would probably retreat as far as possible and still be able to see what is going on. I would continue to monitor the situation until the police arrive and then wait to give a statement in person.

3. I would get back in my vehicle, lock the doors, and call police. I would remain on the phone with the dispatcher until police arrive. If the other person continues to escalate the situation, I would inform the dispatcher of what was going on and proceed to leave the scene and meet the police to give my statement at a different location.
~Derek

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. How long will you lie there, you sluggard? When will you get up from your sleep? ~ Proverbs 6:6-9

Offline CR Williams

• Survivalist Mentor
    • In Shadow In Light
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2015, 08:29:29 AM »
What? You can't kill them all? ???

Poopies...   ;) :D ;D
My cats support the 2nd Amendment.

In Shadow In Light - dedicated to the study and advancement of the art and the science of the fight.

www.inshadowinlight.com

endurance

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2015, 09:14:51 AM »
Situation one is a routine occurrence when I work. I don't leave my building without pepper spray and a 500 lumen flashlight. I've used the light once, the spray never. A command voice and a confident walk will avert most problems.

Situation two would suck. It would depend on a lot of things, like who else might be around, how familiar I was with the area and the likelihood of getting a fast police response, where I am relative to my car. If I can get to my car quickly, I'm going to call 911 and hit them with my headlights while on the phone with the cops. Odds are, they'll scram. If not, I have a 20,736,000 grain projectile at my disposal. And a protective shell, too.

Situation three seems pretty normal. Lots of hotheads in the world. Sit in your car, call 911 and wait it out.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2015, 09:36:31 AM »
What? You can't kill them all? ???

Poopies...   ;) :D ;D

You can...once...then your freedom will likely be restricted.
Stop complaining about life and start Celebrating it .

I've reached the age where there is little left to learn the hard way.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Offline CR Williams

• Survivalist Mentor
    • In Shadow In Light
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2015, 12:17:27 PM »
You can...once...then your freedom will likely be restricted.

Well! If that's what's gonna happen then I just won't kill anybody! So there! :P
My cats support the 2nd Amendment.

In Shadow In Light - dedicated to the study and advancement of the art and the science of the fight.

www.inshadowinlight.com

Offline cabowabo

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2015, 06:34:43 PM »

1. Belligerent Asshole - You are walking down the street with your spouse, when an intoxicated guy stumbles up to you and starts getting in your face looking for trouble. You are carrying a firearm, and uncomfortable with the proximity of the man, but do not yet fear for your life. However, if there is a scuffle you worry about retaining your firearm.
Having been trained around a Use of Force Structure.  This person isn't in the Red so to speak.  Try to defuse and retreat.  Their is nothing lame about not drawing a firearm. 

2. Possible Transient Mugging - You are walking down the street, and see two transients arguing 30 yards away. There is a large man demanding money from a much smaller woman. He not hitting her, but grabbing her firmly and roughly shaking her while he talks. They both look homeless and may even know each other. You are carrying a firearm, and nobody else is around.
Call the police, let them handle.  He isn't a risk to her life or yours at this point. 

3. Angry Driver - You are in a minor fender bender. It's unclear who is at fault. When you get out to exchange insurance info, the other driver gets upset blaming you for the accident. He is threatening to kick your ass and looks pretty serious about it. You are carrying a firearm.
Call the police, admit no wrong doing, let the cops handle it. 

Firearm stays holstered in all of these and concealed.

Bonnieblue2A

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2015, 06:57:07 PM »
My answers in italics

Get myself and my spouse quickly away using the NIKE defense.  A stumbling drunk will be left behind still stumbling and cursing after we have left the immediate vicinity. When at a safe distance call LE from cell phone to report drunk harassing pedestrians; and, give good witness description and info.  to dispatch.

Watch from a good position of concealment or cover as available and call LE 911. As long as there is no imminent threat of bodily harm to the woman I stay behind concealment/cover scanning for more thugs.  Take camera photos for evidence while awaiting for LE to arrive. If the physical threats to the woman escalate; then and only then may I choose to intervene. (* I am also a woman and envision this scenario with me being alone).

Get back into the car ASAP, lock the doors, and drive to a safe distance to call LE to report the accident. I would have taken a photo of the car/license plate before ever exiting my own vehicle.

Offline IronTeaCup

• Survivor
  • TSP Forum member
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2015, 07:48:21 PM »
A command voice and a confident walk will avert most problems.

This is 90% of my way of doing business. It truly works the rest is what will happen if someone doesn't back down but that is yet to happen.......

It was the most effective in the military