Author Topic: Episode-1133- Listener Calls for 5-17-13  (Read 2161 times)

Offline Hootie

• Written Word Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Just another day gardening in the heat of texas
    • Frozen Gardener
Episode-1133- Listener Calls for 5-17-13
« on: January 15, 2015, 07:15:58 PM »
The Survival Podcast http://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com
SERIES:     TSP
EPISODE:  1133
DATE:         May 17, 2013
TITLE:         Episode-1133- Listener Calls for 5-17-13

SOURCE FILE:
[/color]http://www.survivalpodcast.net/audio/2013/5-13/epi-01133-calls-5-17-13.mp3[/size]
FILE ARCHIVE:  http://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com/calls-5-17-13
DESCRIPTION:
[/color]Today on The Survival Podcast I take your calls on storing water, basement wells, cooking, African Sumac, gardening, presidential scandals, investing and more.
[/color]Remember to be on a show like this one just pick up your phone and call [/color]866-65-THINK[/color]. The best way to improve your chances of being on the air is ask your question or make your point up front, then provide details.
[/color]Also please do your best to call from a quite area with a good connection and speak up so you can be well heard. I can’t put all calls on the air but I do my best to get most of them on.
[/color]Join Me Today As I Respond to Your Calls and Discuss…[/color]Storing water in used 5 gallon buckets and the many reasons I say not to[/color]Ways to make everyday food taste better by Chef Keith Snow[/color]What is African Sumac and it is poisonous or allopathic, um, no[/color]Putting a well in a basement, Steve Harris tell us why you might want to do it[/color]How to get rid of poison ivy, the permaculture way[/color]Will America ever adopt the metric system, no, and get over it[/color]What ever happened to The Survival Channel, it exists go check it out[/color]Grubs in the garden no problem and “nail” the cut worms[/color]Why are all these presidential scandals breaking now and what do they mean[/color]How do you actually get good financial advice[/color]Resources for today’s show…[/color]Members Support Brigade[/color]Join Our Forum[/color]Members Support Brigade[/color]13Skills.com[/color]Join Our Forum[/color]Walking To Freedom[/color]TSP Mint[/color]TSP Gear[/color]Back Woods Home Magazine – (sponsor of the day)[/color]Knife Kits – (sponsor of the day)[/color]TheSurvivalChannel.com[/color]Remember to comment, chime in and tell us your thoughts, this podcast is one man’s opinion, not a lecture or sermon. Also please enter our [/color]listener appreciation contest[/url][/color] and help spread the word about our show. Also remember you can call in your questions and comments to [/color]866-65-THINK[/color]and you might hear yourself on the air.

INTRO & CLOSING SONG:
“Revolution is You” by Gregg Yows
TRANSCRIPTION PROVIDED BY:Hootie

Offline Hootie

• Written Word Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Just another day gardening in the heat of texas
    • Frozen Gardener
Re: Episode-1133- Listener Calls for 5-17-13
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2015, 07:16:27 PM »
[00:40:46]

Jack Spirko: ... Let us take the next call. I am sorry I had to throw that in there.

[00:40:49]

Andy: Hi Jack, it is Andy from Temperance Michigan. I have been looking into building a well in my back yard, mostly for watering my garden and thinking about doing that sprinkler on the roof to lower your heating cost. Someone had brought up the idea of putting it in my basement. I am already 8 feet down. Occasionally get water seeping through the basement walls very rarely, and they said it would help with that. However that is the only information I have. I was wondered if you had heard anything about it. The directions I have seen online have all been driving galvanized pile into the ground. Wanted to know if you had any input. Thanks.

[00:41:24]

Jack Spirko: This is one of those few times where I go, 'Not only am I not sure. I really have no flipping idea at all if that is a good idea.' Putting a well in your basement. I thought to myself, who do I know that might have answer to that. Of course the first person that came to my mind was Steven Harris. He has got an answer here it is.

[00:41:41]

Steven Harris: Hello Andy from Michigan. This is Steve Harris from the expert panel coming to answer your question about putting a well into your basement. Well, as they say 'That is a deep subject.' There are quite a few people I know that have put wells into there basement. Half the country listening doesn't have basement. In Michigan, my home state, is a state in the northern area where you have lots of basements. Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, Pennsylvanian, all of the northern area you have basements because you have to have foundations that is a little bit more work to put in a full basement and you get twice the room. That is one of the reasons they do it. Wells in basements, generally when people do it they have a higher water table like you. Some water seeps into your basement. When it gets really rainy you probably have a high water table. You have to find out first how away your water is. Your local city will help determine what the water table is bellow you. Generally you don't want to put in a well.  You want to do down 30 or 50 or 60 feet. You don't what to go down 100, 200, 300, or 400 feet to get water. It is also going to be a small diameter well, like 1 inch, 2 inch, or there about. You are going to have to bust a hole in the concrete in the floor. The you are going to have to use your standard well drilling practices to drill that diameter well. I recommend you put it right next to your utility sink. That would be a good place to put it. The other thing is, most of these wells they are not electric Most people put hand pumps on them. That just makes everything simpler in terms of it is sealed at the top automatically, it is using a simple lever and lift mechanism, and it is always working. You know some of these hand pumps, a little bit of work gives you an awful lot of water. It could give you more than enough water that you could using for bathing, more than enough for cooking, It is going to be a clean source of water. It is a pretty good idea. If you want to do that talk to some of the local well companies in your area. Any local well company would be able to tell you how deep the water is as well. They might say, 'I haven't heard of that'. You might find one that open to it and say, 'Yeah we can do that. Or tell you how to do that and put it into your basement.' Don't forget you are going to have to patch the concrete where you have busted it out and drilled your little well. That shouldn't too much of a problem. As far as insurance and liabilities stuff goes, I don't know what that does. You will have to check with your insurance agency. Generally what they don't know won't hurt you. It is not like this thing is going to flood and ruin your basement or anything like that. I would say pretty good idea. Do your research, talk to some well companies. Talk to your city and make sure it is not against code. Well, I don't care about that. You probably don't either. Go for it. In the mean time this is Steven Harris for the expert panel. If you want to hear all my past stuff, as you all know it is at Solar1234.com. If you missed me, I got a whole new show on my own on first aid at FirstAid1234.com. I miss you guys. I am working on a great show for TSP. I will talk to you later.

[00:45:05]

Jack Spirko: Very well done by Steve as usual. I think you guys are really going to be surprised when you find out what the next project he is working on to show case on TSP for you guys is. With that let's go ahead and take another call.

[00:45:18]