Author Topic: Water storage and Berkey BioFilm Drops  (Read 3188 times)

Offline MrThirteen

• Survivor
    • Thirteensworld
Water storage and Berkey BioFilm Drops
« on: January 19, 2015, 01:50:09 PM »
So, I now have my Berkey (And I Love it.) and I want  to start filtering and storing some water. I have a bunch of 1 gallon Water and Milk containers that I have started to fill with Berkey Filtered water.

I just received an email about "Berkey BioFilm Drops" and I wondered if I should bother pre-filtering the water before storage or just put Tap in and filter it when I need to use it?

I guess this would be a "how should I store my water?"  What would you suggest?

Thanks again,

Until the next time,

Thirteen

Offline Nate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Rookie Registered Nurse
Re: Water storage and Berkey BioFilm Drops
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 07:16:17 PM »
Why store filtered I must ask?  I have had my berkey for about 4 years.  I feel confident that if my city water supply fails I can filter any water I find.  Be it the creek a few blocks away, my unfiltered stored city water, or a mud puddle.  Perhaps you could gather some containers of any sort and fill with water.....filter later.  That way your water is freshly filtered when you need it.  I wouldn't want to take a chance getting a waterborne illness in a shtf situation.
NATE

"This is the Law of the Yukon, that only the Strong shall thrive;
That surely the Weak shall perish, and only the Fit survive."  Robert Service

Offline theberkeyguy

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Berkey Water Purification Systems
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 08:32:59 AM »
So, I now have my Berkey (And I Love it.) and I want  to start filtering and storing some water. I have a bunch of 1 gallon Water and Milk containers that I have started to fill with Berkey Filtered water.

I just received an email about "Berkey BioFilm Drops" and I wondered if I should bother pre-filtering the water before storage or just put Tap in and filter it when I need to use it?

I guess this would be a "how should I store my water?"  What would you suggest?

Thanks again,

Thanks for mentioning it here, I suggest water either be stored in 55 gallon tanks, or in Aquatanks: http://www.directive21.com/product-category/water-storage/

It is recommended to have 2-3 gallons stored per person per day.  If you want 30 days worth of water for your family, it would depend on the size of your family, and then you would know how much to store.

theberkeyguy
Berkey Water Purification Systems:
www.directive21.com

Offline Datman01

• Prepper
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 04:07:32 PM »
What would be the downside of storing water in 2 liter bottles in a cool are such as a basement?
My whole family enjoys the delicious water we get from our Berkey, we use the water for cooking as well as drinking. It's surprising what a difference good water makes when you cook with it.

Offline theberkeyguy

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Berkey Water Purification Systems
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2015, 06:24:18 PM »
What would be the downside of storing water in 2 liter bottles in a cool are such as a basement?
My whole family enjoys the delicious water we get from our Berkey, we use the water for cooking as well as drinking. It's surprising what a difference good water makes when you cook with it.

Atleast one downside is that it is a small amount of water.  Make sure to run it through the Berkey before drinking it.

theberkeyguy
Berkey Water Purification Systems:
www.directive21.com

Offline Tom WaterPure

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2015, 01:41:43 PM »
In answer to Mr 13, Berkey Biofilm drops are a copper silver ion solution that combat slime and biofilm buildup in filters and water thats being stored. All filters get this slime growth inside the filters, what do you think the bacteria the filters gather up do inside the filter mechanism?

By using the drops it pretty well stops any slime formation, your filters last longer and it also helps eliminate the growth of biofilm (slime) and algae inside the filter tank on the fittings spout, etc. Bacteria harbors in biofilm and chlorine does not penetrate it so the bacteria releases and starts new colonies. The Berkey drops are great for storing water because it can stay in the water active for years unless enough bacteria enters the water ... Chlorine can only stay active for about 48 hours. Other countries recognize ionization as a disinfectant although the U.S. does not ... it really works and the cost of the drops far out ways the cost of buying new filters. They don't plug up as fast. Also someone mentioned you don't need to use anything in storage water that's been filtered ... not true of you want the safest water. I have worked with the Commander of the Public Health Service who is now retired and he has personally tested these drops and  now uses the to treat and impregnate his filter as well as using them in his storage water. He and I both filter out the chlorine and it causes cancer by binding with DBP's ... heres a good short read on chlorine and cancer when used in drinking water. The copper/silver ions used in the Berkey drops are the equivalent  of taking a vitamin mineral supplement.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S138357420700035X