Author Topic: It must be butternut squash and kale season again recipes  (Read 5710 times)

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
It must be butternut squash and kale season again recipes
« on: February 04, 2015, 01:39:54 PM »
Please feel free to add any good ones.

I try to cook what we grow, it gets hard to be inventive. I try to just not buy any produce (mostly, I do buy carrots and then potatoes when mine run out as I learn to grow them better) and no premade stuff, just storage bulk basics. The reasons are first as an experiment to see and practice how it is to live on what we can produce, and the second is very real budgetary constraints.

So, in that vein last night I made a creamed soup with butternut squash, which yields extremely well here, decided to go for a indianish theme, so soup had a small 5 oz. can of coconut milk from grocery outlet sale (although I think the goat milk would have been as good), garlic, powdered ginger and cayene. I was exhausted from garden, but last minute rallied myself up and added a few things to make it a meal, unmeasured "chapati" ala Steve Harris non-measuring flatbread technique, but I pressed it as it cooked to get the air bubbles, I took out some leftover steamed kale from the fridge, threw it in the other cast iron pan with olive oil, salt and lots of garlic thru the garlic press. Opened a home canned diced pears. Went for a nice presentation of a small plate with the kale saute and chapatti, bowl of the orange creamed/spiced soup, and little dessert dishes of canned pears.

Soup was kind of like this, http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/butternut-soup-coconut-milk, but with storage dehydrated diced onions, the dried onion, salt and uncooked squash chunks boiled, blended with topped off water and then garlic/milk/cayene added.

For last weeks use of butternut squash I did a pumpkin rarebit soup recipe from enchanted brocollit forest cookbook and served that with toast from leftover homemade wholewheat bread and blackberry pie from homecanned fruit. I had leftover pie dough and cooked squash, so I have a teeny pie pan that takes half the stuff, so made a small pumpkin pie that baked with the blackberry one and we ate the next day.

Recipe is here: I used grated homemade goat milk manchego cheese, a bottle of moosedrool dark beer my son had left here, Butternut squash grown here of course, and some of the onions I have left that were grown here.  http://kateandbake.blogspot.com/2010/10/pumpkin-rarebit-soup.html
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 01:51:45 PM by mountainmoma »
Accomplished tea drinker and baby goat watcher

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
Re: It must be butternut squash and kale season again recipes
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2015, 02:50:05 PM »
Lately I have been chunking up Butternut Squash and braising it in the oven in a cast iron pan with a tablespoon or so of lard, sea salt and rosemary. When it is browning, it is done.

Cedar

"Do not breathe simply to exist."

"Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard

"A person who works with his hands is a laborer, A person who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman, A person who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an artist."

Offline David in MN

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2015, 03:15:35 PM »
I can't bring myself to cook butternut squash. As a kid we would have it nightly when in season. Butter. Brown sugar. Roast. Boring. I doubt if I'll ever lose that scar.

Any greens (spinach, kale, etc.) can be pan fried with a smoked meat, onion, garlic, and hot peppers until wilted and finished with sour cream for a decadent dish. Paired with Spanish batatas bravas and an oaky white wine you'll feel like royalty.
The rotation of the earth really makes my day.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2015, 03:39:21 PM »
I can't bring myself to cook butternut squash. As a kid we would have it nightly when in season. Butter. Brown sugar. Roast. Boring. I doubt if I'll ever lose that scar.

Any greens (spinach, kale, etc.) can be pan fried with a smoked meat, onion, garlic, and hot peppers until wilted and finished with sour cream for a decadent dish. Paired with Spanish batatas bravas and an oaky white wine you'll feel like royalty.

Which is why I try and use it in various recipes, and only once a week at most. I also do not realy care for baked squash, although I do eat it. Next week I will not make any soups out of it, but likely use it for pumpkin muffins. 3 weeks ago we did the butternut squash/manchego cheese raviolis, but somehow the dough was awful (my girl made these with her boyfriend -- dont know what they did wrong that night)

Pan frying the greens, as we did last night, is as you say a good one and great classic variations. But, keep them coming, cooking greens do need to be eaten multiple times a week this time of year if we were unable to shop at the stores..... Chunking the butternut to braise sounds like a good tasty variation to just baking

So, even if not eaten quite that often right now, it is good to pile up some recipes in case we ever DO need to stay healthy without the store bought fruits and veggies and can only cook with what we have .

« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 03:45:54 PM by mountainmoma »

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2015, 04:06:52 PM »
..... Chunking the butternut to braise sounds like a good tasty variation to just baking

I have had it with lettuce, topped with the braised butternut squash, with quinoa, pumpkinseeds, some kind of cheese and a dressing for a salad too. It is one of my fav salads.

Cedar

"Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard

"A person who works with his hands is a laborer, A person who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman, A person who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an artist."

Offline Frugal Upstate

• Dedicated Contributor
  • aka Jenn Fowler and Jenn @ Frugal Upstate ;)
    • Frugal Upstate
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2015, 04:46:43 PM »
I've got a couple of butternut recipes on the blog:

Butternut Stuffed Shells

Butternut Squash Rolls

Winter Squash Bake

Pumpkin Black Bean Beef Tamale Pie (could be made w/butternut)
Check out my blog: Frugal Upstate 
Frugal-Sustainable-Prepared

Offline Aniera

• Prepper
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2015, 02:04:33 PM »

Awe that sucks, I also thought I would hate winter squash after I had some bad batches from my parents growing up but I soon got over it when I tried to do it myself. They never put enough seasoning on it, is the thing. I like to either roast it like Cedar mentioned with rosemary but also with garlic and bacon (also great to do that with sweet potatoes, apparently these both pair really well with those seasonings). Also something you may prefer as well (to get you over the dreaded roasted squash memories) is to do the butter and sage pairing that is a classic but add garlic, cayenne, and some cane syrup/molasses. If you just jazz up the spices a bit more I bet you would like it. When I made it yesterday my husband said it actually smells like pizza surprisingly (must be the garlic, butter, and cayenne).

As a side tip, I really recommend the book The Flavor Bible http://www.amazon.com/Flavor-Bible-Essential-Creativity-Imaginative/dp/0316118400/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1423170108&sr=8-1&keywords=flavor+bible for when you are stumped for ideas. I didn't use it much before we started growing things, but now I have a over abundance of certain vegetables and such; I have had to get a whole lot more creative. That is where I got the idea of adding the bacon and garlic.

Offline David in MN

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2015, 04:17:11 PM »
Well Valentine's is approaching and we spend every Feb 14th making scratch ravioli while listening to Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra, Peggy Lee and others. It's romantic as all get out.

Anyhow, I know my wife will want squash ravioli with a burnt butter sage and walnut sauce. Tastes wayyyy too sweet for me but we do a few for each of us. If you're a homemade pasta fan, it can't be beat if you have a sweet tooth.

One of my go to dishes for greens is quiche. I know real men don't eat quiche (whoever wrote that never had good quiche) but I love it. It's great to clean out the fridge.

All greens are the best cooked in duck fat. Roast duck in your cast iron and fry greens in the renderings. Heaven.
The rotation of the earth really makes my day.

Offline PorcupineKate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Head Weed Puller
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2015, 04:50:50 PM »
I make hash with butternut squash.  It is the only meal I make with butternut squash.

half a butternut squash cur into 1/2" cubes
1 package of bacon
1 onion
handful of sage
3 eggs
salt and pepper to taste

Cook the bacon and set it aside.   Use some of the bacon fat to cook the onions in.  Once the onions start to go translucent add the squash and sage.  Cook till the squash is tender.   Crumble the bacon and add it to the pan.   Once everything is cooked make some room in the pan and add the 3 eggs.  I mix the mostly cooked eggs in when they are about 2/3 cooked. 

Offline Frugal Upstate

• Dedicated Contributor
    • Frugal Upstate
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2015, 04:43:37 PM »
No one liked my recipes? 

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2015, 05:10:45 PM »
No one liked my recipes?

What -- no, not at all, they all sound great ! I am especially intrigued with putting the squash into dinner rolls, I have not had a chance to try one out yet tho

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2015, 05:14:49 PM »
No one liked my recipes?

I have not made them yet.. but I do have a butternut sitting in my kitchen. Maybe Monday I can try them out. I am thinking on the Butternut Stuffed Shells, as Butternut Squash Ravioli is one of my favorite meals ever. Maybe even better than chocolate.

Cedar

Offline Frugal Upstate

• Dedicated Contributor
    • Frugal Upstate
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2015, 05:24:27 PM »
Phew!  When no one commented I got a little stressed :) 

I've actually got to use up a couple of butternut myself.  I love that black bean, beef, tamale thing myself, but the rest of the family is only so so about it.

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2015, 06:29:52 PM »
the porcupine beat me to it "hash"- squash, kale, peppers, onions, maybe some quinoa - makes a great hash. Serve with a couple fried eggs.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2015, 01:50:07 PM »
I have a butternut squash, halved, out baking in the solar oven so that I have some to use in one of the baked goods recipes soon !

Last night, heavy use of KALE. Yesterday I had a long day getting a dental crown put back on, so needed something simple. There is a Spanish dish, of infinite variation, that bakes or poaches eggs on top of a tomato/veggie sauce. Traditionally, this is sopped up with a nice crusty bread, but sometimes we serve it over rice. Saute onions, add chopped greens and saute more, added home canned diced tomatoes and spices (some kind of paprica or cayenne and or chili flakes, salt, etc...) crack eggs on top and either pop in the oven or put a lid on the pan that is stove top or wood stove top to set the eggs, runny or soft, as you like them. Last night we sopped this up with a homemade kneadless peasant loaf of bread and butter, served it with, homecanned dilli-beans (lots of garlic). I made a pan of lemon bars (old recipe, thinner and cookie like, not very sweet at all) as I have lots of lemons out on the bush, had that later after Ham class, for a lite dessert. Today the leftovers are heating up to eat over rice for a late lunch.

Recipe something like this, but with kale added after onions and before tomatoes http://minimalistbaker.com/simple-baked-eggs/

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2015, 08:55:56 PM »
Ok, today I tried out FrugalUpstates recipe for dinner rolls made with butternut squash. David in MN you could definitely eat these as you cannot tell, at all, that there is squash in there. It is much more decedant dinner rolls than I usually make, I almost always make things whole wheat, and I followed the recipe exactly today using white flour. The recipe is great, they are very light, very fluffy, just perfect dinner rolls, my daughter had no idea veggies were hiding out in there. I made them with a cube of butter for the fat, and a scalded cup of goat milk. I ate 2 before dinner as they came hot out of the oven. Served with baked beans, steamed brocolli (home grown, frozen last july) and diced home canned pears. The dinner rolls used a small butternut squash, grown here. I just picked one out that looked like it would be about 1 1/2 cups worth and baked it ahead of time.

I am going to try out one of the ideas where it is cubed and mixed with stuff that some of the rest of you have mentioned next time

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2015, 11:23:09 AM »
Yesterday afternoons butternut squash showed signs of storage issues when opened, which is not too surprising given they are on a shelf in my garage, which has had way too much heat between then and now, but most was useable, just darkening by seed cavity.

Last night was soup that used both butternut squash and kale. I steamed the squash a bit on its own in the soup pot, so then I just mashed with a potato masher by hand before adding the rest of the ingredients; dehydrated diced onion, home dehydrated parsley, water, salt, and a slosh of olive oil. I had proportionally alot of onions. Let this simmer while the pie baked. When It was about dinner time, I adjusted the soups liquid, and ran out to the garden and got some kale leaves. these I finely chopped, and added to the soup.

I grated homemade goat manchego cheese into each soup bowl and added the hot soup on top when I served. Served with warm whole wheat dinner rolls/butter, homecanned dilly beans. Apple pie later for dessert.

While the squash was steaming, I put together an apple pie, using my homecanned apple pie slices. These are Newtown Pippin apples, sliced with peel and in a light syrup. I add the cinnamon and some flour to thicken when I make the pie, I dont can with any spice or thickening. After I pull out the pie dough from the mixer bowl and roll out, I pour off excess liquid from the canned apples (just 2TBS in this case) plop the apples into the mixer bowl (I try to save on too many dirty dishes), throw in 3TBS of flour and some cinnamon and toss gently with a wooden spoon.

I had leftover bread dough in a container in the refrigerator, and this became dinner rolls.

Laurel's Kitchen, Squash Soup Recipe:

About 3 cups of mashed, cooked winter squash
2 1/2 cups water

1 cup chopped onion
1T olive oil
1/2 cup chopped parsley
2 t salt

2 cups chopped tender greens, bite sized, added at the end of the cooking time

I had less squash than this, but forgot and used full amount of onion. I did remember to adjust the parsley and kale by half.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2015, 11:49:49 PM »
Had the rest of that last soup recipe for lunch today. This is a very simple recipe, not too many ingredients. But, it realy hit the spot, it was excellent. I do think the cheese adds alot. I grate a fair amount of Manchego into the soup bowl before serving, then the hot soup melts it alot, stir it up and eat, just realy good. Maybe also that home grown foods have more flavor. The Kale is realy sweet and tender right now. The parsley I grow and dry here s nothing like dried parsley from the store. And, our home grown organic butternut squash is likely a better taste too.

last night was a Kale Saute in the cast iron pan, as other posters have mentioned above, on the side of black bean chili ( a whole head of home grown garlic) over rice. Sliced Navel oranges. We have had no real winter, so the little orange tree was loaded, no freeze damage this year, they hang well on the tree, so we just pick one or two a day.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 11:57:31 PM by mountainmoma »

Offline Frugal Upstate

• Dedicated Contributor
    • Frugal Upstate
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2015, 06:02:44 AM »
The soup sounds yummy!  (and I'm very jealous of your oranges)

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2017, 10:42:35 PM »
Old thread -- But, I have a new recipe for it !

And, it uses butternut squash and greens all at once, very nice soup, looks realy pretty and tastes good. I found this recipe as I had opened a LDS long term storage #10 can of white beans last month, and, as per usual, this time of year at my place we have butternut squash in the garage, greens in the garden/freezer, and either oranges off the tree or canned fruit for dessert. This soup is good served with a soft dinner roll, like frugal upstates dinner rolls ( with the rest of the squash hidden in them ! ) -- see upthread for dinner roll recipe

* warning : White beans need to be cooked before putting the soup together *

Butternut, White Bean and Greens Soup

1 1/2 C diced onion ( fresh or about 3/8 C dried, rehydrated)
2 C celery  ( fresh or some rehydrated dried )

Sauted in 3T olive oil

Add: 4 cups ( about 3lb ) butternut squash cut in 1/2" cubes
        8 cups of water/stock ( I made it with 6 cups water and 2 cups homecanned chicken bone broth)

simmer for 1/2 hour or so, until squash just tender. Add

4C chopped fresh greens, like chard (or when I made it, I used frozen spinach )
2C cooked white beans
salt and pepper to taste

and heat for 5 or 10 minutes more