Author Topic: A Wedding Dress in Pictures  (Read 15441 times)

Offline AvenueQ

• Dedicated Contributor
    • In Plain Sight
Re: A Wedding Dress in Pictures
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2015, 09:21:26 PM »
I should also mention that I got to meet Beth Smith last week. She flew out to Boulder (from the town next to my hometown, no less!) to shoot some spinning videos with us and do a book signing at one of the local shops. I told her about my project and she gave me some pointers, then signed my copy of her book.

(I'm on the far left, she's the redhead in the middle)

Kind of thinking about wearing the tiara in the shop all the time.

Offline Ms. Albatross

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2015, 01:42:50 PM »

Kind of thinking about wearing the tiara in the shop all the time.

One of my favorite moments in The Big Bang Theory:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8i_WpYc3YI4

Offline AvenueQ

• Dedicated Contributor
    • In Plain Sight
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2015, 08:13:47 AM »
I'm a bit late on the upload, but I spent my Memorial Day last weekend making my swatches. The purpose of this was to control for the variables that come with making fabric by hand (so that I don't end up with something that doesn't fit). There are essentially two variables I'm working with: the final look and feel of the spun yarn itself and the "gauge" (or size) of the final knitted piece. Most knitting patterns come with a gauge, usually given in the form of a certain number of stitches and rows per inch (the lace piece is slightly different, as you will see in the photo below). I can alter the gauge easily by changing my knitting needle size.

It may look like I've used two separate yarns for these swatches, but I actually used a slick technique called Navajo 3-ply knitting to make the top swatch out of the same yarn as the bottom one. It basically turns a fine laceweight yarn into a heavier worsted weight, which is more appropriate for the top half of the dress. This way I don't have to worry about making two separate yarns and can just spin everything the same.

Now comes the first long leg of the process: spinning the couple thousand yards or so that I'll need. I'll be posting pictures of the progress.

(Technical mumbo-jumbo section for my own reference)
  • Spun singles 17:1 and plied 15:1 in double-drive on high-speed bobbins.
  • Worsted draft, drafting length 2-3 inches.
  • Final plied yarn is 8 tpi, slightly overspun before washing.
  • Knitted top piece on size 6 needles and bottom piece on size 2. Size 2 is good for lace (especially since I knit a little bit looser in the round), I should probably go down to a size 5 or 4 for the top half.
  • Yarn appeared to be balanced after washing when in the hank, but still had a bit of extra twist during the knitting process. This is good as it will be washed again after knitting.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2015, 08:17:58 AM »
That is lovely +1

Cedar

Offline AvenueQ

• Dedicated Contributor
    • In Plain Sight
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2015, 08:24:34 PM »
It has been a while since my last update! Things are going slowly, but relatively smoothly. I have my first bobbin 3/4 filled. My goal is to be completely done spinning by Christmas. To get there I attempt to make myself spin every day, even if it's only for 5 minutes. This doesn't always happen (especially not this week, ugh), but it is a good benchmark to strive for.

Oh, and I got a fleece for my master spinner class! That is going to be a long but rewarding process, I think.

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2015, 10:42:41 AM »
 :popcorn:

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2015, 03:34:37 PM »
Where are you on this now?

Cedar

Offline AvenueQ

• Dedicated Contributor
    • In Plain Sight
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2015, 05:01:14 PM »
Well...I finished one skein. And I think this is going to go in a totally different direction. For one thing the yarn didn't turn out quite like I expected (which is fine, I can use it for something else), but my fiancee and I are taking some time to focus on other things besides wedding planning right now. We are fine, he's just trying to finish up his PhD and I'm taking on a lot of new responsibility at work and it is sapping most of our time and energy right now.

So, things are on hold for the moment. I have a bunch of different ideas, so expect some updates, just probably not for a while.

Offline Ms. Albatross

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2015, 07:06:12 PM »
Where are you on this now?

Cedar

I was wondering the same thing just last week. 

Well...I finished one skein. And I think this is going to go in a totally different direction.

So, things are on hold for the moment. I have a bunch of different ideas, so expect some updates, just probably not for a while.

Thanks for the update.  I'm looking forward to what you come up with. :)