Author Topic: Sleeping/Shelters for Patrolling; OnPoint Tactical  (Read 2013 times)

Offline swanson

• Standing In The Gap
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • "Don't let others live in your head rent free."
Sleeping/Shelters for Patrolling; OnPoint Tactical
« on: May 02, 2009, 05:55:22 AM »
Here's another decent article to pass along from OnPoint Tactical.

swanson

Sleeping/Shelters for Patrolling

http://onpointtactical.com/Blog/Default.aspx?id=31

Edited by P_Coltrane for DMCA compliance
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 08:17:10 PM by P_Coltrane »

Offline “Mark”

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Freedom lovin' Canadian
Re: Sleeping/Shelters for Patrolling; OnPoint Tactical
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 10:18:28 PM »
-30F is pretty damned cold. Having worked in -40 has taught me about staying warm in those temperatures. First off, staying dry is essential -- and that includes not sweating! Second, it's much easier to keep your core warm than your extremities. Third, wind is very efficient at robbing your heat. What might be comfortable at -30 on a still day could have you shivering in -10 with a 20 mph wind -- let alone the 50 mph you might have in a storm. Keeping your feet warm is the trickiest as you can't tuck them under your armpits like your hands. Always carry a couple pairs of heavy wool socks in the winter. Regular socks are not enough. And carry heavy mittens -- fingered gloves are asking for frostbite.

If I were out in the winter, I'd definitely carry a small shovel. With a small shovel you can build yourself a shelter in the snow to keep yourself out of the direct wind, and with a little more time you can build an enclosed structure to keep the air you warmed up with your body heat instead of losing it to the winds. Don't forget that snow is an excellent winter insulator in the deep cold. If you can build yourself a two-sided lean-to, cover up the sides with powdery snow to keep the wind out and the heat in.

If you are going to be out in the extreme cold, don't forget to pack a couple thousand extra calories per day. Your body will boost its metabolism to stay warm.

walker

Re: Sleeping/Shelters for Patrolling; OnPoint Tactical
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 12:38:54 AM »
My sleeping system weight is pretty minimal: 4 to 5 lbs for the bag, 1 lb for the bivy, and the pad + liner contribute maybe another pound. When I go “camping” I also carry a tent, but when I am on patrol I just carry a bivy. I always have the poncho, which I use to create a multitude of creative rain/wind/snow shelters.

Who makes a winter bivy that weighs 1lb?

In the past, when I was younger and tougher (just out of the Army), I did all of my camping/hunting/trekking while living out of a poncho hooch, bug bar net, a poncho liner, foam pad, and added a light sleeping bag when the temps required.  I even took an extended trip to Alaska with this same set-up and did fine.  It was there during one surprise snow storm that I realized I was pushing the envelope for safety, and since then I have moved upward to heated shelters (Kifaru) that would enable me to dry clothing and hunker down a few days in relative safety/comfort.

I still travel light in the summer, I prefer not to use any shelter, so I am interested in the light weight of your bivy as most of the ones I have looked at were more like 3-4 lbs.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 12:13:13 AM by Archer »