Author Topic: What to with a Coyote after a kill?  (Read 14357 times)

Offline IronTeaCup

• Survivor
  • TSP Forum member
What to with a Coyote after a kill?
« on: February 14, 2015, 07:37:26 PM »
I want to get into hunting and wouldn't mind doing some coyote hunting. I just do want to kill something and not do anything with the body.

If anyone knows of some good stuff to do with them please let me know.

Thank you.

nelson96

Re: What to with a Coyote after a kill?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2015, 07:41:30 PM »
Coyote killing is just good management.  What do you do with a rat when you kill it?

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2015, 07:45:11 PM »
Does your state have bounty on them? If you want to do something with it, you can skin and tan it out. You might find out if you are able to sell it to a furrier.

Cedar

Offline IronTeaCup

• Survivor
  • TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2015, 07:52:15 PM »
one might ask what is the pelt good for? is it softer than something warmer or what?

Now rats..... I dont know. If I was to spend a day just looking for rats then I might look for something to do with them.

Offline The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2015, 08:03:48 PM »
First, learn how to skin and prep the hide.

Then, sell said hide for $$.

Don't leave the carcass.  Make something of it.

The Professor

Offline IronTeaCup

• Survivor
  • TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2015, 08:28:27 PM »
so whats the hid good for? IE warmth, durability? also when is the best time to hunt them season wise?

Offline trekker111

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2015, 09:52:32 PM »
A lot depends on where you live and what time of year it is. Back when I messed with skins, and lived in Michigan, properly skinned and stretched prime winter coyote hide would bring anywhere from $50 to $90, and the fur buyer was telling stories of hides from the northern rockies bringing $145. This was in the late 90's.

I moved from the peoples republic of Michigan in 2001 to SC. Down here the coyote hides don't get that nice prime winter coat, and even the best hides aren't worth the work. I shoot them and toss them in a gulley.

Regardless of your region, I know of no use for the rest of the carcass beyond baiting more coyotes.

Reducing their population helps every other animal population. In the historical range of the coyote, the ecosystem has formed with the coyote as part of it, and most problems are due more to coyotes exploiting new niches formed by the actions of humans. In the south east they were introduced by .gov and are running roughshod over the other animal populations, and killing everything from mice to deer.

I shoot coyotes to save deer, and especially turkeys. And they make great long range target practice.

If you plan on selling the hides, winter is the best time to hunt them, otherwise my mindset is shoot on sight with whatever is available.

The hides are used in coats, jackets, hats, scarves, globes/mittens, and especially trims.

Offline TexasGirl

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Simple country farm girl. Prepper? What's that?
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2015, 08:05:27 AM »
Shooting coyotes helps save my chickens.  (They tore thru a fence and got two roosters this week.)  I just leave the coyote carcasses for the wild pigs... or bobcats, panthers, & cougars if it's fresh.  Nothing makes it to vulture stage here.

~TG

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2015, 10:48:34 AM »
Where I grew up, the farmers and ranchers just skinned the coyote and hung the hide on a fence post. They believed it would scare other coyotes away. They just left the carcass for the carrion eaters.

nelson96

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2015, 10:56:47 AM »
Where I grew up, the farmers and ranchers just skinned the coyote and hung the hide on a fence post. They believed it would scare other coyotes away. They just left the carcass for the carrion eaters.

We must be much lazier... I know a lot of Oregon farmers and ranchers who kill coyotes, none of them take the time and effort to skin a coyote just to hang it from the fence and a lot of them do hang it from their fence.  I've done the same, when one was near by. 

« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 11:16:29 AM by nelson96 »

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2015, 11:01:02 AM »
I would skin it. Practice if nothing else. Learn on a $20 coyote hide, or learn on a $1000 cougar or American Marten, your choice if you are into that sort of thing. Our State trapper uses the coyote carcass for coyote bait.

Cedar

Offline Caveat

• Prepper
  • Might as well smile.
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2015, 08:19:42 PM »
I would skin it. Practice if nothing else. Learn on a $20 coyote hide, or learn on a $1000 cougar or American Marten, your choice if you are into that sort of thing. Our State trapper uses the coyote carcass for coyote bait.

Cedar
Never thought of using the carcass to bait other coyotes.  Good idea. 
Maybe I'll try using one cut into sections for bait for spring bullhead fishing. :crazy:

Offline trekker111

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2015, 05:50:36 AM »
Shooting coyotes helps save my chickens.  (They tore thru a fence and got two roosters this week.)  I just leave the coyote carcasses for the wild pigs... or bobcats, panthers, & cougars if it's fresh.  Nothing makes it to vulture stage here.

~TG

Here everything makes it to vulture stage within 24 hours, anything dead and in the open, what the coyotes don't find and consume during the night, the buzzards and vultures are on within an hour of the sun coming up. That was one of the first things that surprised me when I moved from the north woods to the south east, the rapidity with which dead things, both plants and animals, are decomposed and consumed by the eco system.

Offline IronTeaCup

• Survivor
  • TSP Forum member
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2015, 05:05:33 PM »
Thank you all for the help. I am in the phoenix AZ area and want to go hunting but dont know yet if I want to carry an 80lbs deer home.

I am thinking I of going hunting for them and getting shooting at unknown distances along with some skinning practice.

Maybe one day I will have a coyote coat to keep me warm later in the winter

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2015, 05:29:24 PM »
The state trapper told me that using coyote parts to bait other coyotes works, because the live coyotes want to know what a trespassing coyote is doing in their turf, so they investigate.

I am surprised they are still coming in with it being a 'death scent'.

Cedar

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2015, 05:31:48 PM »
Thank you all for the help. I am in the phoenix AZ area and want to go hunting but dont know yet if I want to carry an 80lbs deer home.

If you have room, consider a couple gelding llamas trained to pack. That is only 40 pounds each for them. Or large wether pack goats. The goats are easier to haul in some ways, and pack saddles might be easier to locate.

Cedar

nelson96

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2015, 05:33:28 PM »
If you have room, consider a couple gelding llamas trained to pack. That is only 40 pounds each for them. Or large wether pack goats. The goats are easier to haul in some ways, and pack saddles might be easier to locate.

Llama eats good too, Cedar taught me that.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2015, 05:38:28 PM »
Llama eats good too, Cedar taught me that.

Just don't eat the ones you want to pack for you. I eat the ones which are not good for anything, and mean.

Cedar

nelson96

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2015, 05:48:53 PM »
Just don't eat the ones you want to pack for you. I eat the ones which are not good for anything, and mean.

Cedar

I wouldn't be opposed to eating one on the trail, if it was mean or didn't pack for me. 

Offline IronTeaCup

• Survivor
  • TSP Forum member
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2015, 05:52:44 PM »
lol I am talking about Coyotes then it turns into llamas.... I am in a small house right now and dont have any sort of homestead to have any animals.

I really like the coyote hunting for now though. is a normal/lite winter coat a little less warm if you lived in a warmer state? or would somewhere that has a micro climate like flagstaff create a winter coat of coyotes?

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2015, 06:05:37 PM »
lol I am talking about Coyotes then it turns into llamas.... I am in a small house right now and dont have any sort of homestead to have any animals.

You can rent them for packing:
http://www.llamapack.com/text/rental.html
http://www.highuintapackgoats.com/ (sorry this one was not in AZ, but the other link is)

Cedar

Offline IronTeaCup

• Survivor
  • TSP Forum member
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2015, 07:23:11 PM »
That kinda sounds like fun for elk hunting or something then.

Offline Aunt

• Survivor
  • Life-long Learner
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2015, 07:34:30 PM »
The only coyote I ever shot was put on display in a nature center.  I knew they were updating their displays.  So, I called them right after I killed the coyote.  You might check around for something like that to do with a coyote.

Offline helix2301

• Survivor
  • techgeek and ham radio operator
    • The Technology Geek Podcast
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2015, 07:46:27 PM »
There the only animal you can hunt on sunday in pa

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2015, 08:51:42 PM »
Since chickens are scavangers, why not feed the coyote, after skinning, to the chickens ? It would be good for them, I would think, and no waste.

Offline IronTeaCup

• Survivor
  • TSP Forum member
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2015, 08:56:39 PM »
lol Chicken feed.

I know that after they get maggots then you could feed them the dropped maggots?

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2015, 09:23:57 PM »
lol Chicken feed.

I know that after they get maggots then you could feed them the dropped maggots?

Yes, they will eat the meat and the maggots if they dont eat all the meat quickly...

Offline Aunt

• Survivor
  • Life-long Learner
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2015, 09:27:10 AM »
Since chickens are scavangers, why not feed the coyote, after skinning, to the chickens ? It would be good for them, I would think, and no waste.

My chickens would eat it.  They seem to eat anything.