Author Topic: Preparedness during Air Travel  (Read 17346 times)

Offline chrisdfw

• Dedicated Contributor
Re: Preparedness during Air Travel
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2015, 02:29:43 PM »
True in some cases, but not in all.

It was a soft crash, but I'll still call that a crash, unless you put the plane down on its landing gear, I'll call it a crash... and some really spectacular flying that prevented what could have been a much worse crash.

Offline doublehelix

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2015, 09:41:11 AM »
I fly a LOT now for business and I always carry a TSA-compliant EDC on my person + a number of additional things in my carry on like high calorie food bars, Tanka buffalo jerky and an PortaJohn gelling bag.

It constantly amazes me how unprepared people are for the simple things like flight delays, or even having snacks and games for their small children during general travel.

I guess it's a snapshot of the public at large and our general state of preparedness as a nation.

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Veteran
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2015, 11:00:35 AM »

Offline chrisdfw

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2015, 02:10:40 PM »
that utilikey is a piece of garbage,

For a little more you can get a decent pliers, screwdriver, and scissors

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Veteran
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2015, 03:40:49 PM »
that utilikey is a piece of garbage,

For a little more you can get a decent pliers, screwdriver, and scissors

To each their own I guess.   Works great for me and half a dozen others I know who use them.

Offline Marinesg1012

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2015, 01:19:32 AM »
I fly a LOT now for business and I always carry a TSA-compliant EDC on my person + a number of additional things in my carry on like high calorie food bars, Tanka buffalo jerky and an PortaJohn gelling bag.

It constantly amazes me how unprepared people are for the simple things like flight delays, or even having snacks and games for their small children during general travel.

I guess it's a snapshot of the public at large and our general state of preparedness as a nation.

Where can you find a list of TSA approved EDC items? I fly a bunch but I have to also worry about what other countries may or may not find acceptable.
I carry everything I need for a day or two in my carry on. I like to buy a large plastic bottle when I show up at the airport for water (I dont want to risk losing any of my water bottles) I like to have a couple bags of trail mix and other snacks (I am also anti airplane food) A hygiene kit, toothbrush/toothpaste/small soap/shampoo/vit C or airborne/ hand sanitizer/gum/electronic copies of my documents/ID's on a flash drive/passport and wallet are always carried in my front pocket, charged sell phone with charger. I also have one of those batteries designed to charge phones and tablets.

I am sure I am forgetting a few things.

Offline r_w

• Dedicated Contributor
  • On my way
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2015, 05:57:29 AM »
TSA approved EDC isn't that hard, but it is a moving target.

But a huge part of airline travel stuff was cash and maps and phone numbers.  Stashed in pick pocket and mugging proof places so if you got separated from your carry on and wallet you still had something. 

Offline chrisdfw

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2015, 09:46:25 AM »
Anything not prohibited is allowed.

Allowed: Flashlight, lighters, matches (not strike anywhere), water filters, tools under 7 inches, jackets, extra socks, medication, etc etc

Not allowed: guns, knives, tools over 7 inches, pepper spray (for very good reason)

I carry all the same stuff less my pistol and knives. I replace the knife with a pair of electricians scissors.

Keep in mind, this is carry on, you can check most everything that is not flammable or pressurized, guns, knives, axes, etc. Still no pepper spray.

Offline CandyGram4Mongo

• Prepper
  • Home on the range.
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2015, 02:55:26 PM »
I travel domestically 6-20 flights per month.
Thin, light polypropylene socks make it pretty hard to get blisters, whether it's a long walk between terminals or a longer walk home.  I try to keep the 5 C's on my person, so I usually board wearing a Scott-E-vest containing paracord, a space blanket, a fire starter, lifestraw, and a water bottle inside a steel hiking cup.  Kubotan-pen is important.  I also keep a Gorilla Gear Uhuru 11200 battery & cables in the vest to recharge phones etc.  The Gorilla Gear Uhuru has flashlight capability.  3-way power-splitter is a must so I can always juice up during delays without starting a fight over limited outlets.

Bear Grylls belt loaded with cash in the money compartment plus 1/4 oz & 1/10 oz gold coins in the fishing gear compartment inside the buckle.  Fishing gear/copper snare lines in the buckle.

Friendly Swede paracord survival bracelet w/built-in fire starter.

Carry-on backpack contains high-fat bacon jerky, 2 small flashlights, additional combustion tools, 6w solar recharger, Sawyer water filtration system, alcohol wipes, Celox, latex gloves, thick contractor trash bags, wool shirt & watchcap, polypropylene socks, spare aaa's for headlamp, hand sanitizer, additional cash/gold, chapstick, BesTek cigarette-lighter power inverter (ht to Stephen Harris), Duracell dual usb charger pro163, 2nd Gorilla Gear battery/flashlight, UVPaqlite, UVGlostick, Tylenol, Immodium, No-Doze, foldable sunglasses, small compass, 2x lens cleaning cloths, soft shell jacket w/thinsulate gloves, spare eyeglasses, umbrella, 1" gorilla tape, micro multi-tool w/pliers/Phillips/flat-head screwdrivers, and regional highway maps.
Everything that could get damaged or be made heavier by water is in a plastic bag.  1 flashlight & the batteries are in an anti-static bag so that they'll stay dry and maybe resist a CME or EMP.
It's not uncommon for me to carry pepperspray.  Although I usually remember to take it out of my pack, I've forgotten PLENTY and haven't yet been flagged.  For International travel (or if I'm going thru Newark, NYC, or Boston) I absolutely empty everything out of my bags and reload from scratch.  I've had TSA flag me off and on several times for knives, & in most places it's no big deal if I apologize and ask if I can mail it home.
I have a suitcase that I only use when I'm checking luggage that I always leave knives in (after losing several knives from absent-mindedness).  Also a multi-tool w/blades, a sturdier steel cup, more contractor bags, and I almost always bring a pistol and ammo unless I'm heading for Chicago, Cali, or New England.  I also keep a 5-liter bladder in that bag along with some powdered bleach.  The 1st thing I do when I get to my room is fill the bladder.

Equipment notes: I've ruined the money compartment zippers on 2 Bear Grylls belts by pulling my cellphone carrier off quickly.  Now I take my time and make sure the zippers not caught & I've made my 3rd belt last >2 yrs.
SmartCarry holster allows pistol and extra mag to ride OK & fully concealed.  Draw is slower than IWB & it's a pain to take a leak, but it's innocuous enough that if I've got it on through TSA (WITHOUT PISTOL) I don't get strip-searched.
ScottEVest can get hot so I've got a way to roll it and strap it on top of my backpack immediately upon exiting the plane.
Gorilla Gear Uhuru 11200 has both 1 amp & 2 amp outputs plus a pretty bright flashlight.

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2015, 03:06:03 PM »
Mongo, that is an intense load out. Some great ideas though. +1

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2015, 05:11:22 PM »
 :clap:  Mongo , I don't think I could walk with all that gear...I need to get in better shape.

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Veteran
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2015, 08:52:29 PM »
Keep in mind, this is carry on, you can check most everything that is not flammable or pressurized, guns, knives, axes, etc. Still no pepper spray.

You can check pepper spray.   It just has to have 2% or less active ingredients, be under 4 fluid ounces and have a safety mechanism. However there are a couple airlines which prohibit it as a matter of policy.

endurance

« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2015, 10:50:04 AM »
You can check pepper spray.   It just has to have 2% or less active ingredients, be under 4 fluid ounces and have a safety mechanism. However there are a couple airlines which prohibit it as a matter of policy.
I'll confess, I never even bothered to ask and I've had it in my checked bags for years. Never once been a problem.

Offline CandyGram4Mongo

• Prepper
  • Home on the range.
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2017, 02:12:40 PM »
Updates:
1. US TSA is still forgiving of everything I mentioned in my previous post 18 months ago. 
2. I have 1st-hand awareness of actions they'll take if they find a flashlight/stungun combo.  It involves a lengthy delay and some discussion about prosecution.  Oh, and you might end up on an official TSA list.  My assumption is that pepper-spray will be treated the same way if detected.
3. Everything in my previous post transited Israeli & Honduran Customs OK, although the Israelis were the first to actually flag and question me on my belt.  They got a big kick out of having fishing gear in a belt buckle.  The Hondurans made me open my Slim Jim box & prove that those little sticks were food, not C4.
4. I've added some stuff to my kit that camouflages very, very well to overcome 2 of the "5 C's" that seem to be prohibited.  No, they're not machetes or blowtorches, but they do qualify for those parts of the Five C's.  Might provide details after I retire, but if you look hard enough, you'll probably find something too.
( About Dave Canterbury's 5 C's: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPjGIheVi4w )
5. Picked up a lightweight winter coat w/Primaloft liner from Cabellas.  INCREDIBLE insulation for its weight.  Currently on sale at Cabela's for about half price; I got mine last Christmas for about half price:
http://www.cabelas.com/product/clothing/men-s-casual-clothing/men-s-outerwear/men-s-insulated-outerwear%7C/pc/104797080/c/104746680/sc/105548580/i/104172480/cabela-s-xpg-8482-men-s-advance-hooded-jacket-with-primaloft-reg-and-windstopper-reg-150-tall/1828701.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fmens-insulated-outerwear%2Fcabelas%2F_%2FN-1102393%2B1000002949%2FNe-1000002949%3FWTz_st%3DGuidedNav%26WTz_stype%3DGNU
It was *adequate* insulation for a freezing, windy trip to Chicago, but it is light enough that I'm carrying it everywhere.
Note: way back in the day, I got some very good advice about always getting either "long" or the next bigger size up for cold-weather and wet-weather gear.  I've followed that advice for 4 decades and have never regretted it.  There is no substitute for remaining dry.  Everything is exponentially harder when you're wet and cold. 

I intend to start a separate thread about surviving US to Israel transit & surviving in Israel.  That was an eye-opener.

Offline Dirk Pitt

• Prepper
« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2017, 11:09:58 PM »
I usually have my small back pack with me as my carry on I have anything going that is worth a dam in there. Always my camera equipment , rx meds, glasses, snacks, flashlight, books magazine  etc. I also got hit up at the x-ray machine once due to something  in my bag. I was really scratching my head on that one, as I am quite particular  when it comes to packing. They went in my small first aid  kit and pulled out the metal tweezers. Good grief, they were cheapos  and I said to throw them away. God forbid the kind of damage I could have done with that.  :-\