Author Topic: Comparing treatment with health insurance vs without  (Read 14330 times)

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
Re: Comparing treatment with health insurance vs without
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2015, 02:09:12 PM »
Twice, per the advice of our pediatrician, we've taken our daughter to the E.R. when she wouldn't break a fever and couldn't keep down fluids after 12 hours.
In one case she required a zofran and an IV to rehydrate her (something I'm not setup to give her), but the other time they gave her a tylenol and a popsicle.

Each visit cost around $500 and change.   :o

Obama Care at work.

endurance

« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2015, 02:13:51 PM »
Twice, per the advice of our pediatrician, we've taken our daughter to the E.R. when she wouldn't break a fever and couldn't keep down fluids after 12 hours.
In one case she required a zofran and an IV to rehydrate her (something I'm not setup to give her), but the other time they gave her a tylenol and a popsicle.

Each visit cost around $500 and change.   :o
I really want to learn to give IVs in the next couple years.  When it comes to flu and other formerly lethal killers of tens of thousands of people a year, there is little more effective than being able to re-hydrate non-orally.  My wife can give IVs, but if it's her that needs one, then we have a problem. 

Offline r_w

• Dedicated Contributor
  • On my way
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2015, 07:30:30 PM »
Half the challenge is getting it.  You can't get vet supply IV stuff without a prescription these days. 

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
  • Asking the uncomfortable questions since 1964
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2015, 08:21:43 PM »
I could totally see it if you knew that nothing really serious and internal was going to happen.  But that's not something you can count on.

Just in the past 5 years, I've had two concussions with neurological issues, a torn rotator cuff, a frozen shoulder, a torn hip labrum, a spot on my hip x-ray that everyone thought might be cancer, an upper respiratory infection (didn't have insurance for that one so I had to take fish antibiotic, and I'm still fixing my gut bacteria after that disaster) and I got in a car accident where the other guy's car slid under mine about 1/3 of the way.  Oh, I forgot that I had a tear in my intestine which had me unconscious in a large puddle of sweat on the bathroom floor.

Any of those could have gone horribly wrong and cost a bundle, wiping me out financially.  I can totally understand not wanting full coverage for every hangnail.  But I honestly don't see it ending well, especially as we age, to forgo major medical.

Offline r_w

• Dedicated Contributor
  • On my way
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2015, 06:58:09 AM »
I agree with your risk assessment, but the cost of premiums really sway that equation.  At least emotionally.  It is really hard to spend more on insurance than your rent/mortgage.

endurance

« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2015, 07:45:18 AM »
Half the challenge is getting it.  You can't get vet supply IV stuff without a prescription these days.
It has been in extremely short supply in the last year, which led to restrictions that have only recently gone in place. Not that I'd expect those restrictions to be lifted after the shortage has waned.  ::)

Just another reason to be on a volunteer fire department. ;)

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2015, 08:15:18 AM »
While you look for IV supplies...give then some water to drink...give IV if they can't drink.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2015, 09:52:37 AM »
O.R.T. (oral rehydration therapy) It's what they teach medical missionaries and other foreign aid workers.

You can think of it as a (very) poor man's gatorade

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2015, 10:22:04 AM »
O.R.T. (oral rehydration therapy) It's what they teach medical missionaries and other foreign aid workers.

You can think of it as a (very) poor man's gatorade

Exactly. But, isnt there something else that is added that makes it more ideal, a potasium source or something ? There is a grocery store product, maybe a salt substitute that provides this ? Someone on here must know the answer to this.

But, short term, the sugar with a bit of salt is the thing

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2015, 11:08:09 AM »
Exactly. But, isnt there something else that is added that makes it more ideal, a potasium source or something ? There is a grocery store product, maybe a salt substitute that provides this ? Someone on here must know the answer to this.

But, short term, the sugar with a bit of salt is the thing

I alway add some lemon or orange (squeezed) or a bit of potassium iodide (found in most salt and sea salt (see link)

http://www.amazon.com/Sal-Bahia-Iodized-Salt-Canister/dp/B0047LZPFS/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1425405868&sr=8-4&keywords=potassium+iodide+salt

I like to make it a little rich with a could tablespoons of coconut oil ,the electrolytes are really secondary to the fluid,in my opinion and some added quick energy like a bit of sugar.

endurance

« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2015, 11:35:06 AM »
This topic seems to be drifting a wee-bit.  Not that I didn't have a hand in that... ::)

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2015, 11:57:28 AM »
With the runs they get when the bill comes...they're gonna' need some electrolytes. (And stay away from the fan) ::)