Author Topic: .35 Rem is no where  (Read 7670 times)

Offline danimal

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
.35 Rem is no where
« on: February 23, 2015, 01:06:28 PM »
Ok, I know all the answers to what I SHOULD have done....I got them all on other forum's from people who didn't read the whole post and spout of like 1st degree twerps. Hoping TSP-F members might be helpful.

So, a brand new .35 Rem owner. I'm asking people here;

1) anyone know where I can buy ammo?
2) anyone have some they'll sell
3) anyone have brass they'll sell
4) anyone have dies they don't use/don't want that they'll sell

Thanks so much for constructive comments, which include No. My least favorite was the repeated suggestion that I use XXX because that is the respondents favorite rd/cal. Again, thanks!

Offline The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
Re: .35 Rem is no where
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 02:03:11 PM »
Well, a couple of things, here:

First, this is a survival/preparedness forum, not a gun forum. . .though sometimes you'd be hard-pressed to prove it.

Insofar as caliber concerns, it's going to be difficult, post-SHTF, to find ammo for even the regular calibers, let alone something like .35 Remington.  I wouldn't put it up on the list of preferred post-TEOTWAWKI choices.  It's a good gun for large game,  just finding the ammunition, however, makes it less desirable.

A quick search on google shows that loaded ammo is very scarce.  I got a little frustrated and called my favorite Hornady Sales Rep (they make my favorite ammo for lever guns "Leverlock" and make loaded ammo and components for the .35 Remington).

Her comment is that Hornady makes a monthly run of .35 Remington and they currently have no intentions of stopping.  Her suggestion was to either go down to your local gunshop that sells Hornady ammo and ask them to order it (loaded ammo or components) or to go online and put your name on a wishlist.  She says companies such as Midway pay attention to those wishlists in how they order.  It may take a couple of months, but they'll eventually get around to you. 

Put your name in to be notified even if it says NO BACKORDER.  Their sales people see those wishlists.

Now, if you want to talk about Survival Guns. . . .

The Professor

Offline danimal

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 02:41:20 PM »
Thanks Prof! I see your stuff a lot on here and appreciate the response.

I am not interested in the .35Rem as a "survival weapon" as that would be my brain. I posted here because of my frustration in finding ammo, components, etc. I just thought I'd put out my request to another pool of people. With as many people as I see hoping to find some .35, I am not sure why they make such a small run. I am sure they know their business but it seems like they aren't producing as many as people would buy.

As for the .35Rem - liked using my buddy's Marlin this year and wow does it thwack deer. So do a few others I use but this was appealing enough for me to start poking around. I will probably reload the 40-50 or so rds I end up with for as long as I can. It just seems like I'll never find them until hunting season, which is a bit far off. I'd hoped to spend some time and money sighting in at different ranges I know I'll see deer (range card). I'll just put on the patience hat I suppose. It doesn't fit well but I can wear it.

haha, my wife just walked in, read the first two sentences and said "Sometimes you're chambered in dumbass." ZING. She's up for today!

Anyway, thanks again.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 03:20:11 PM »
I always use 357 magnum jacketed hollow points or JSP soft point bullets and the powder and primers are not hard to get.
The ammo is current ,but a lot of people are buying it up to use their Cowboy Combat Lever guns. You might just try a sub-caliber adapter and shoot 357 magnum in the 35 rem chamber for practice...I shoot 357 magnum out to 150 yards or so and it is indeed a GAME ANCHOR from my leaver actions.

Offline mxitman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Entrepreneur/HVAC Mechanic/Electrician
    • Heezy
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2015, 06:00:08 AM »
It's been hard to find locally for me, I was lucky and got 2 boxes of the new Hornady revolution ammo when it first came out. If you don't mind shipping you can find it plenty on gun broker.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Rifle-Ammunition/BI.aspx?Keywords=*35&ca=5000086

Offline danimal

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2015, 06:46:58 AM »
Yup. Had to go the ebay / GB route to get myself some. Thanks for the link.

Offline danimal

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2015, 10:03:43 AM »
To be honest, I went to those two sites in order to get reloading components as I don't want to have this be an issue ever again. People are selling a box here and there. Since this is a new hunting firearm I want to put a least 100 rds through it, get to know it and feel comfortable hitting anything I want at 50m-200m and then reload that formed brass. Since that first post, I've obtained a pile of brass, projectiles, etc as well as had a bunch of club members dig through their cabinets and let me buy boxes of stuff they haven't/won't shoot. As I said I do appreciate the link.

Carl - Do you use an adapter or are you loading .357 cast boolits in your .35 Rem cases?

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2015, 10:22:14 AM »
I load 357 cast and or jacketed bullets and get good results for paper and game.

I use 357 and 44 (and 22 LR) in leaver guns for game and games as it is more economical now.
I have 35 rem lever guns (3) and a Thompson Contender in 35 Rem also....but for hunting and cowboy combat...it is hard to beat pistol caliber carbines...

I don't know of a chamber adapter for certain due to rim dimensions.
But the 357 158 and 180 grain bullets are pretty good in the 35 Remington case with several choices of powder.

Offline jerrybrother83

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2015, 06:09:39 PM »
I get mine at Academy Sporting Goods here in louisiana.  Not sure how many states they're in.  They nearly always have them in stock.

endurance

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2015, 08:43:08 PM »
I'd suggest hitting every little roadside shop that has a hunting license sign in their window over the next few months.  A caliber like that is something somebody stocked somewhere and all you need to do is find that store that hasn't had someone who uses the caliber walk in.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2015, 05:04:00 AM »
Ok, I know all the answers to what I SHOULD have done....I got them all on other forum's from people who didn't read the whole post and spout of like 1st degree twerps. Hoping TSP-F members might be helpful.

So, a brand new .35 Rem owner. I'm asking people here;

1) anyone know where I can buy ammo?
2) anyone have some they'll sell
3) anyone have brass they'll sell
4) anyone have dies they don't use/don't want that they'll sell

Thanks so much for constructive comments, which include No. My least favorite was the repeated suggestion that I use XXX because that is the respondents favorite rd/cal. Again, thanks!

If you don't like popcorn...why did you get in line?

As a manufacturer,I looked at 35 remington 15 years ago ,and the numbers just did not justify gearing up to produce the 35 remington (we did make such cartridges as 30 Herritt and 357 Herrett.) Even Remington will not set a run as the demand is too high for other production. 35 Rem is not dead,it is just on hold till the time other lines have excess stock.

If you read this far ,200 grain newly manufactured 35 remington is listed as in stock at this link:

http://www.ows-ammo.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=58_21&products_id=297
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 05:16:05 AM by Carl »

Offline beakerello

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2015, 07:47:17 AM »
I can get it locally. I am pretty sure I can get brass, and factory ammo. How much of each do you want?

Offline Marinesg1012

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2015, 10:16:53 PM »
the suggestions above are all good, I feel your pain I have been trying to find 30 remington for over a year now, I have it back ordered on several sites and even custom ammo places and still no luck. Everyone is focusing on the stuff that sells quickly and cant keep in stock.

Offline danimal

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2015, 07:40:57 AM »

If you read this far ,200 grain newly manufactured 35 remington is listed as in stock at this link:

http://www.ows-ammo.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=58_21&products_id=297

Thanks! You are the second person that has sent me that link. Once you try to purchase it you'll find that it isn't in stock...aggravating. By now I am stocked up on almost everything. Lots of effort, lots of searching, lots of fun. Now if I could just get a day or two of sun.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2015, 08:14:54 AM »
Thanks! You are the second person that has sent me that link. Once you try to purchase it you'll find that it isn't in stock...aggravating. By now I am stocked up on almost everything. Lots of effort, lots of searching, lots of fun. Now if I could just get a day or two of sun.

They were my 'go to' place for hard to find ammo. Sorry,from what I see locally though...soon we will see runs of the 5% ammo as  production is catching up according to a couple of insiders at OLIN.

Offline danimal

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2015, 08:30:39 AM »
So glad to hear! I'll still need projectiles. And very interested in the Rem 150gn .35s which I couldn't find either. Again, big thank you for trying to put me on track.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2015, 08:54:25 AM »
So glad to hear! I'll still need projectiles. And very interested in the Rem 150gn .35s which I couldn't find either. Again, big thank you for trying to put me on track.

I find the 357 cal 150 JSP pistol bullet works fine for 35 Rem loads and is accurate in my old Winchester and my Thompson Contender.

Offline danimal

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2015, 10:32:08 AM »
I've heard a few say that. Out of curiosity, how far out is it accurate? Plinking or hunting? Both? Also you say JSP but I thought I'd need a .358 GC cast to be truly comparable. Beartooth has a selection of .35s and .357s where you can choose the specs for individual barrel measurements. Anyway, I really do appreciate this exchange. With everyone. Thanks!

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2015, 11:12:35 AM »
I've heard a few say that. Out of curiosity, how far out is it accurate? Plinking or hunting? Both? Also you say JSP but I thought I'd need a .358 GC cast to be truly comparable. Beartooth has a selection of .35s and .357s where you can choose the specs for individual barrel measurements. Anyway, I really do appreciate this exchange. With everyone. Thanks!

While I use 358 cast for small game,light loads(900 to 1100 feet per second) I have found the pistol caliber rounds obturate well and seal to the bore just fine . Even my scoped Marlin 336 with it's micro groove rifling will shoot SPEER or Remington within a 5 inch bull at 200 measured yards ...and my eyes aren't better than that...some groups are better,but that's just luck.

Here is a bit of reading on the subject:

http://www.leverguns.com/articles/paco/35remington.htm