Author Topic: Police Groups Slam Beto’s Plan to Send Cops to Collect Americans’ Guns  (Read 620 times)

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
Well, that will take the wind from his sails, assuming he had any left.

https://freebeacon.com/politics/police-groups-slam-betos-plan-to-send-cops-to-collect-americans-guns/amp/?__twitter_impression=true
Police Groups Slam Beto’s Plan to Send Cops to Collect Americans’ Guns

National law enforcement organizations harshly criticized Democratic presidential candidate Beto O'Rourke's plan to send police officers to collect AR-15s and AK-47s from those who refuse to turn them in under his mandatory buyback scheme.

In interviews with the Washington Free Beacon, leaders from groups representing hundreds of thousands of law enforcement officers described Beto's gun confiscation plan as "ridiculous," "asinine," and likely unconstitutional.
A leader of the National Fraternal Order of Police—the nation's largest police union, representing more than 330,000 sworn law-enforcement officers—said that not only was Beto's plan unlikely to be constitutional but that Beto himself was unlikely to ever be elected.

"Mr. O'Rourke may not be aware that state and local police officers (who comprise more than 90% of all police in the U.S.) receive their orders from their local jurisdictions – not from the Federal government," Jim Pasco, executive director of the FOP, wrote in an email to the Free Beacon. "Further, any such legislation, if it passed, would no doubt be vigorously litigated with a view to its apparent inconsistency with the Second Amendment."

Offline CarbideAndIron

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Steve
Glad to hear that response. I am not surprised, I have 4 friends that are officers. WA and CA, so left leaning states...but they all have said that their police force is largely freedom loving. They all get just as annoyed/angry/etc...to hearing politicians claim that they will have officers enforce unconstitutional things AGAINST citizens. There are obviously some that would do it, but most are similar to us.

Offline DDJ

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
Around here they would have to go to their own homes first since officers provide their own patrol rifles and SWAT guys their own suppressers and NVGs ECT.

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
Did they enforce the Clinton Gun Ban? Um yes. Are they enforcing 1968 and 1934? Yes. If Beto bans guns will the police go door to door? Yes. Are they nullifying CA, NY, or MA? Nope.

They can say whatever they want but out here where the metal hits the meat things are a little different.

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
Did they enforce the Clinton Gun Ban? Um yes. Are they enforcing 1968 and 1934? Yes. If Beto bans guns will the police go door to door? Yes. Are they nullifying CA, NY, or MA? Nope.

They can say whatever they want but out here where the metal hits the meat things are a little different.

They are ignoring them now pretty much everywhere.  For example, of the half million bumpstocks out there how many have been turned in?How many New Yorkers registered their guns?  What about Nevada compliance?  It is pretty much zero in both instances. And the police havent been rounding any one up.  And ARs would be something different entirely.  Heck, even New Zealanders are resisting that and the police have each gunowners name.

https://www.csmonitor.com/USA/2018/0521/With-lack-of-incentives-few-Americans-are-giving-up-their-bump-stocks
With lack of incentives, few Americans are giving up their bump stocks

Months after the Las Vegas shooting, seven states now prohibit the sale and possession of the device, which increases the firing rate of a semiautomatic gun to the rate of a fully automatic. An estimated 520,000 bump stocks are owned by Americans.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/11/us/state-gun-laws.html
When Sheriffs Say No: Disputes Erupt Over Enforcing New Gun Laws

New Mexico’s governor is feuding with county sheriffs, accusing them of going “rogue” by refusing to enforce new gun control legislation.

https://reason.com/2019/07/08/noncompliance-kneecaps-new-zealands-gun-control-scheme/
Noncompliance Kneecaps New Zealand's Gun Control Scheme
As of last week, only around 700 weapons had been turned over.

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
Noncompliance and legality are 2 very different realms.

Let's just be clear. They are enforcing 1934 and 1968. They did enforce the Clinton ban. They are currently enforcing CA, MA, CO, NY restrictions including magazine restrictions. They are enforcing "destructive device" laws. They are enforcing the SBR and silencer tax stamps. They enforce serial laws.

But oh, oh this one law will be a bridge too far. Hasn't been in California... I'll do the proper British thing and bring you a pint of ale on your way up Clink Street.

I'll even go so far as to say the 2nd Amendment clearly states you have the right to an unregistered supressed short barrel machine gun. Just doesn't work that way in practice.

Offline CarbideAndIron

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Steve
You can't compare them. Something like that truly is the "bridge too far" for MANY officers and Americans in general. It would cause quite the fight.

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
Regarding the assault rifle ban, I dont know of a single case of anyone being convicted of things like 922R compliance.  I've been to gun shows where dozens of non-compliant guns were for sale like restocked SKSs.  These were teaming with local police and ATF yet they never enforced it.  Most police are rational and care about taking violent thugs off the streets not harrassing gun owners.

Even in aftermath of New Orleans flood they gave up trying to collect firearms once word got around and people started resisting.

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
They did take the guns. NRA made videos about it and the police refused to write receipts so the firearms that were taken were not legally possessed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-taU9d26wT4

The police beat up an elderly woman on camera for having an antique revolver.

I know I'm playing the role of the bad guy but the police will happily kick in your door and put you in a cage with "Rapezilla". When you enter the legal system you are always rolling the dice. The police and DA have a bottomless budget to go after anyone they feel deserves it.

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
They did take the guns. NRA made videos about it and the police refused to write receipts so the firearms that were taken were not legally possessed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-taU9d26wT4

The police beat up an elderly woman on camera for having an antique revolver.

I know.  I was one of the sponsors of the documentary so it would never happen again.  But as I said: "they gave up trying to collect firearms once word got around and people started resisting."  They only tried with the most vulnerable.  This is how Associated Press reported it:

Still, thousands of stubborn holdouts were believed to be staying put in the city.

"There are still quite a few still holed up in their homes," said Oklahoma Army National Guard Brig. Gen. Myles L. Deering. "We'll continue to check on them to make sure they're OK and try to encourage them to leave."

"I'm not budgin'. The only way they gonna make me move, they gonna have to hog tie me," a defiant Freddie Johnson told Pitts.
There were no widespread reports of anyone being taken out by force under a three-day-old order from the mayor, and there were growing indications that that was little more than an empty threat.

"We're trying our best to persuasively negotiate and we are not using force at this time. I cannot speak to the future," said city attorney Sherry Landry.

Police fearing deadly confrontations with jittery residents enforced a new order that bars homeowners from owning guns. That order apparently does not apply to the hundreds of M-16-toting private security guards hired to protect businesses and wealthy property owners.

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Police Groups Slam Beto’s Plan to Send Cops to Collect Americans’ Guns
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2019, 07:47:29 AM »
Retreat!

https://twitter.com/MauraBarrettNBC/status/1187805309210910722?s=19

O'Rourke said maybe those who want to use an AR-15 to hunt "could keep it at a hunting club or at a gun range,"