Author Topic: Why shoud I keep my NRA membership?  (Read 14813 times)

Offline Speaker0311

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Why shoud I keep my NRA membership?
« on: February 27, 2015, 11:02:00 AM »
I dont see where the NRA is spending my money in my interest. Backing Harry Ried, this ammo ban coming out of nowhere, not sponsoring or promoting (as far as I can see) actual activism such as open carrying. In addition to constantly telling me OBAMAS GONNA GET YUR GUNS and begging for more money everytime I open the mail box.

Maybe Im just in a bad mood but this lifetime membership is probably going away tonight.

Offline hackmeister

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Beer, linux and prepping!
Re: Why shoud I keep my NRA membership?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 11:18:41 AM »
Well there are doing some good things in Pennsylvania by suing municipalities that ignore the state's preemption laws:
http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=52211.0

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 12:10:44 PM »
My private range requires NRA membership as a pre-requisite.  I think it has something to do with underwriting the club's insurance.
I'm generally very supportive of their support of shooting sports, and participate in some of their hosted clinics.

Politically I am more dismayed. I've begged and pleaded for the NRA to get involved with recent issues at our state level, but they do next to nothing.
Seems they prefer to make a big show at the national level - but in truth the real threats to our gun rights are at the local level.

Neither Obama, or congress will take away our guns - that'll happen one city council meeting at a time...

Offline Alpha Mike

• Survivalist Mentor
  • I'm preparing for a lack of imagination.
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2015, 02:43:36 PM »
If you have a lifetime membership. it really is not costing you anything (except for the extra junk mail). 
The NRA does tend to "pick" it's fights.  For a while it pretty much abandoned California, but now that we have won some significant lawsuits against the .GOV, they are back supporting the efforts of the locals.

just my $.02

AM

Offline flippydidit

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Keep 'em shooting!
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2015, 02:56:08 PM »
I discarded my membership a few years ago and never looked back.  Just another lobbyist pleading for more money to less with than I accomplish in a month.  They have plenty of money.  They don't need yours.  Maybe when they run out they'll realize that schmoozing people at black tie, $600 dollar a plate dinners, while they auction off multi-thousand dollar guns to their best pals is not the way to preserve our Constitutional Rights.  Then again......

endurance

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2015, 03:10:13 PM »
It's hard not to support them when they do so much for helping ranges stay in business and bring new folks into the fold. Their network of instructors and ranges is unparalleled. That doesn't mean they are the best investment for fighting political fights, but for growing and improving the sport, Appleseed it the only other group on the field (and they use mostly NRA insured ranges).

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2015, 03:16:33 PM »
It's hard not to support them when they do so much for helping ranges stay in business and bring new folks into the fold. Their network of instructors and ranges is unparalleled. That doesn't mean they are the best investment for fighting political fights, but for growing and improving the sport, Appleseed it the only other group on the field (and they use mostly NRA insured ranges).

I agree. Few people are aware how much they offer to recreational shooting.  I'm personally an NRA range safety officer.  I paid a few bucks, attended an all day course, and now can earn service hours shooting the breeze with old guys talking guns.  Beats the snot out of pulling weeds or painting the storage shed for my volunteer hours :)

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2015, 03:34:02 PM »
I've got mixed feelings about the NRA, they drive me crazy with all the mailings and robocalls asking for more money.  When I mailed off my life membership dues years ago, I told myself that was good enough, I've done my part and they aren't getting any more of my money.

Offline Jack Crabb

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2015, 03:34:34 PM »
A life membership costs nothing to continue.

Advertising rates are set by the number of subscribers. Your membership is a legitimate subscription number that helps advertising revenue.

It is the "National" Rifle Association, not state or local rifle association. There are any number of state and local organizations to work that level.

Few, if any, organizations can match the financial clout that the NRA brings. Not only can they fund candidates directly, they can fund organizations to help candidates. Being able to present elected officials with the backing of millions of members vs. the antis hundreds of members carries some weight.

Quantity has a quality all of its own. Having an 800 pound gorilla on your side is good.

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Does not fall well with plastic guns...
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2015, 04:33:22 PM »
I think the NRA is one of those necessary evils. They've done good, bad, and questionable things in the past. What rubs me the wrong way the most is the articles in their magazines. All three are 75% the same fear-tactics based articles each month with a few actually interesting things in there. I've quit looking at them, pull out the HF coupons, and am done with it.

I do appreciate the points that have been brought up about their role in ranges and shooting, it casts a different light on how I've always viewed them. I never really put thought into that aspect of the NRA because all I ever see is 'Fear this' and 'They want our guns that'.

Offline JLMissouri

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2015, 06:01:05 PM »
I agree that their fear based revenue system is annoying as well as asking for money all the time. That said the good far outweighs the bad. They are by far the largest national pro-gun lobby group and they do make a difference on the national level. Maybe not as much on the states level, but they probably help more than many think. The NRA was behind many of the concealed carry laws passed in states the last decade. Having a powerful lobby that most elected officials don't want to be on the wrong side of can get things done.

Here in Missouri the NRA helped with passing the concealed carry law, and they have helped just about every other state with that effort as well. Often behind the scenes. Just because guns seem pretty safe now doesn't mean they will stay that way. The NRA helps, when I was growing up I was pretty sure it was just a matter of time before guns were going to be banned. Luckily on average public sentiment has swung in guns favor the last decade. The NRA is probably one of the main reasons we still even have the right.

Offline gundog

• Survivalist Mentor
  • It's the dog....not the gun.
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2015, 07:11:32 PM »
When someone else comes along and do a better job I'll stop being an NRA supporter. Reminds me of the quote.........capitalism the worst system........besides the others. Thats how I feel about the NRA.

endurance

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2015, 07:20:47 PM »
When someone else comes along and do a better job I'll stop being an NRA supporter. Reminds me of the quote.........capitalism the worst system........besides the others. Thats how I feel about the NRA.
For fighting state bills, there's often local groups that do a better job.  Different eggs for different baskets.

Offline ResidentCelt

• Senior Survivalist
  • Doing my best on 1/3 acre
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2015, 07:48:50 PM »
I dont see where the NRA is spending my money in my interest. Backing Harry Ried, this ammo ban coming out of nowhere, not sponsoring or promoting (as far as I can see) actual activism such as open carrying. In addition to constantly telling me OBAMAS GONNA GET YUR GUNS and begging for more money everytime I open the mail box.

Maybe Im just in a bad mood but this lifetime membership is probably going away tonight.

Disclaimer, I'm not a member of the NRA. But,

1. Insurance. Most homeowner's limits total firearm coverage to 1000 or maybe 2000 bucks. NRA gives you coverage up to 7500 I think.

2. Harry Reid. They back him for 1 reason only. Reid is the senate majority leader. Do you know who will be senate majority leader if Reid loses his seat? Chuck Schumer. He is probably the most anti-gun politician in the history of forever, second only to Michael Bloomberg and Bloomberg isn't in the senate. Reid is wishy-washy on guns. Schumer will push to criminalize thoughts about guns and refuse to consider any pro-gun bills on the floor. Reid will at least let pro-gun bills be voted on.

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2015, 06:34:21 AM »
I think it speaks to a broader schism in the shooting community. I gave a speech at our range last year about attracting younger shooters. It boiled down to: New shooters aren't coming in with $2000 over under shotguns looking to join the sporting clays league. They're coming in with a used Glock looking for fun targets and courses of fire on a pistol range.

I think the NRA got pigeon holed focusing on hunting (I'll never go on an African safari), wine clubs, etc. They totally missed the bus on modern shooting sports. They've gotten a little better over the years and It's nice to see them embrace the tactical side a little more. Hopefully we find room for all shooting enthusiasts.

Offline Mortblanc

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2015, 10:55:21 AM »
You can do all the whining and complaining you wish, the fact of the matter is that if it were not for the NRA the Second Amendment would have been repealed in 1968 and we would all be discussing the best way to soup up an air rifle and still stay below 12ft/lbs energy,  like the British forums.

I was there and I remember the feeling of helplessness as the media guided the political process to the edge of the cliff and then screamed because they did not push the gun owners over the edge.

Only the presence of the NRA stopped that plot before the days of e-mail and direct access to one's reps in congress.

Offline machinisttx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • yay
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2015, 01:23:35 AM »
Last time I checked, the NRA-ILA had tried to have the Heller vs DC case rolled into one of their own cases so they could kill it(feel free to go look up Heller's, or Robert Levy's, comments on that if you don't believe me). Outside of that case, SAF has been the major player in actual accomplishments(McDonald vs Chicago was one) in the last couple decades with the NRA-ILA riding their coattails. Then there is this, which should be pretty well known: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSGySNLyACE

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2015, 04:56:54 PM »
Last time I checked, the NRA-ILA had tried to have the Heller vs DC case rolled into one of their own cases so they could kill it(feel free to go look up Heller's, or Robert Levy's, comments on that if you don't believe me). Outside of that case, SAF has been the major player in actual accomplishments(McDonald vs Chicago was one) in the last couple decades with the NRA-ILA riding their coattails. Then there is this, which should be pretty well known: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSGySNLyACE
We could also attack the SAF for Gottleib's belief that universal background checks are inevitable and we should try to get something for it.
http://www.guns.com/2014/05/01/gottlieb-gun-rights-lobby-needs-to-lead-not-follow-on-background-checks-video/

There was also the big flap when JPFO was absorbed into the SAF after the death of Aaron Zelman. 

Get big enough, do enough and raise enough money and someone will dislike you.  Whether deserved or not *shrug*?  Look at the trajectory of bloggers and podcasters.  Inevitably, as they get more popular, people start cropping up that seem dang near incensed that the blogger or podcaster even exists.

The money I give the NRA anymore usually goes to the NRA Foundation.  Though the next time they do a big discount to the membership rates I will likely up my membership level again (I am above Life already).

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2018, 03:14:02 PM »
Today's the final straw for me. 

Obviously my $1000 is gone for good, but I want my name removed from NRA Lifetime Membership. 

Anybody know how to best go about that?

Offline kid_couteau

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2018, 05:20:37 PM »
What happened? I missed it?
Kid

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2018, 05:26:31 PM »

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2018, 08:15:05 PM »
Maria Valeryevna Butina

You cant really blame her.  They locked her up for 5 months and said they would detain her indefinitely.  But if she plea bargained she would get sentence for about five months and so would walk free given time held.  Most people would take that offer so they can get on with life regardless of innocence.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2018, 09:01:09 PM »
I don't blame her.

I blame the feckless "patriots" running the NRA.

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2018, 09:32:20 PM »
I don't blame her.

Gotcha. 

To answer your question you write a simple resignation letter and mail it in.

On the other hand, you could stay in organization and work to change board.  There is going to be quite a challenge in upcoming election.  Personally, I think Wayne LaPierre will be leaving soon.

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2018, 07:16:44 AM »
It's a PITA phone call. I did it a few years back as I saw the NRA as nothing but a Republican front group and not a gun advocacy group. They were late to the party on all the 2nd tests at the supreme court and have supported gun bans. The latest fiasco is nothing but proof.

It's a sad time when I'm no longer a member of the NRA and ACLU. But when they show their hand as nothing but a shill group I'm moving on.

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2018, 07:46:38 AM »
It's a sad time when I'm no longer a member of the NRA and ACLU. But when they show their hand as nothing but a shill group I'm moving on.

Yeah. It was a sad day when I dropoed ACLU.  But there is a difference.  ACLU is centralized and has no redeeming qualities.  The NRA is compartmentalized.  So while the political organization goes off the rails, the membership portion including education still goes strong.  And this is where vast majority of fees go.  If that fails the repurcussions will be great.  I have seen estimates of 75% of gun ranges closing, 50% of instructors leaving, 90% of youth shooting programs ending, and 100% of school firearm safety programs stopping.

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2018, 05:30:01 PM »
I don't blame her.

You may want to consider the Wall Street Journal article with the actual details.  It is 180 degrees from the hyped articles being pushed in social media. The NRA and the lobbyist she was introduced to were found non-culpuble and no charges are being filed.  Also, they dropped all charges of her being an agent of the Russian government and cleared her of any involvement with election influence campaign.  She is only being charged because she accepted money to attend conferences "with the hope of making connections with prominent political players" for a banker without filing proper forms.  Likely outcome is sentence of six months which she has already served and $9k fine after which she will be sent back to Russia.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/maria-butina-pleads-guilty-to-conspiracy-to-influence-u-s-politics-11544719313

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2018, 06:09:13 PM »
It's a plea deal, she accepts responsibility for lesser crimes (for which there is likely much hard evidence) in exchange for fingering complicit US citizens.  Russia wins either way, regardless.

What are the chances the leadership at the NRA walk away from this with clean hands?  Was there anyone really stupid enough to believe in the oxymoronic concept of Russian Gun Rights?

It's ludicrous, sad, embarrassing, and disgusting all at the same time.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2018, 02:39:06 PM »
Finally got a response back to my online query:

Thank you for contacting us.

As stated in the NRA Bylaws, Article III, Section 10, entitled, “Voluntary Termination of Membership,” “Any member may terminate his or her membership at any time by a resignation in writing sent by first class United States mail…” The Bylaws go on to state that “…such member will not be entitled to any refund of dues or contributions already paid.”

Please send your termination letter to:
National Rifle Association
ATTN: Office of the Secretary
11250 Waples Mill Rd.
Fairfax, VA 22030

We are not permitted to cancel a membership per any other request than in physical letter form received via US mail per the NRA Bylaws.

Thank you for your support!

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2018, 02:56:32 PM »
Finally got a response back to my online query:

Did mine on the phone. Maybe because I didn't have a life membership and paid annually. It was more of a "not renew" I guess.