Author Topic: Why shoud I keep my NRA membership?  (Read 14251 times)

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Why shoud I keep my NRA membership?
« Reply #60 on: April 29, 2019, 09:07:04 PM »
Yes.  California specific gun rights organizations.

:clap:  Wouldnt want to lose you from the battle.

I feel abandoned because I am not seeing how there have been changes for the better in the 5 years since the SAFE act was put into place.  We residents who are not in law enforcement or retired LEOs lost so much with that law.  Central NY state is mostly rural.  There are many people who enjoy owning and using firearms whether for hunting or developing marksmanship.  There are also many who feel that owning a gun is important for defending homes and selves.

Taking down Cuomo is definitely a major objective and the NRA is one of the chief oponents of the SAFE act.  Winning the New York State Rifle & Pistol Association v. City of New York Supreme Court case is the number one legal agenda item.  That is why so many people have been joining the NRA state affiliate, the New York State Rifle & Pistol Association.  The number of members doubled in the last year, specifically because of the work to overturn the SAFE act.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #61 on: April 29, 2019, 09:32:29 PM »
For over a decade I've been a paying member.  As of July 2019, an assault weapon designation goes into affect for new purchases in WA.  Even a Ruger 10/22 qualifies. 

This means registration, waiting period and waiving of various rights, including law enforcement inspection of said assault weapon storage, upon their discretion.

I've never had less firearm freedom where I live, but a man dressed like a politician is sending letters asking me to donate because Chuck Shumer or DiFi has some half assed national bill.  Guess what, I had to explain to my 15 year old that he cant legally buy a rifle until hes 21 now.  The NRA couldn't be bothered.

And no, I dont personally travel to my state legislature on work days, but as I'm a board member at a local gun club, im in close contact with those who do.  The SAF is testifying, but not the NRA. 

The mission of any gun rights org should be to remove the need for their own existence.  Seriously, the NRA needs just enough wins to seem effective, but if they over do it, we will get complacent and stop donating.

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #62 on: April 29, 2019, 10:33:07 PM »
For over a decade I've been a paying member.  As of July 2019, an assault weapon designation goes into affect for new purchases in WA.  Even a Ruger 10/22 qualifies. 

This means registration, waiting period and waiving of various rights, including law enforcement inspection of said assault weapon storage, upon their discretion.

I've never had less firearm freedom where I live, but a man dressed like a politician is sending letters asking me to donate because Chuck Shumer or DiFi has some half assed national bill.  Guess what, I had to explain to my 15 year old that he cant legally buy a rifle until hes 21 now.  The NRA couldn't be bothered.

And no, I dont personally travel to my state legislature on work days, but as I'm a board member at a local gun club, im in close contact with those who do.  The SAF is testifying, but not the NRA. 

The mission of any gun rights org should be to remove the need for their own existence.  Seriously, the NRA needs just enough wins to seem effective, but if they over do it, we will get complacent and stop donating.

NRA and SAF work hand-in-hand, drawing on each's strengths.  From a google search there were something like a dozen NRA funded lawsuits in Washington in the last year like these:

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/nov/18/nra-sues-washington-state-over-ballot-initiative-r/

NRA sues Washington state over ballot initiative raising minimum age for guns

The National Rifle Association and other Second Amendment supporters are suing the state of Washington to stall a ballot initiative passed this month to limit gun sales, after gun control advocates declared victory in the 2018 midterm elections.

The initiative, which was approved with 59 percent of the vote, increases to 21 the minimum age for purchasing semiautomatic rifles, among other changes.

The NRA says those are infringements on constitutional rights, and gun-rights advocates say the election was swayed by activist billionaires.

“We will not sit idly by while elitist anti-gun activists attempt to deny everyday Americans their fundamental right to self-defense,” said Chris W. Cox, who heads the NRA’s legislative lobbying arm.

https://www.nraila.org/articles/20190321/washington-nra-saf-lawsuit-against-city-of-edmonds-moves-forward

Washington: NRA & SAF Lawsuit Against City of Edmonds Moves Forward

On March 20th, the Washington Superior Court rejected the defendant’s motion to dismiss the lawsuit filed by the NRA and Second Amendment Foundation against the City of Edmonds to invalidate the mandatory firearm storage ordinance passed by the City Council.  The lawsuit can now proceed.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 10:40:03 PM by iam4liberty »

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #65 on: April 30, 2019, 09:54:17 AM »
Yes

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #67 on: April 30, 2019, 03:45:08 PM »
Very, very interesting.

I’m a USCCA member and NRA wanting them to go under is infuriating.  Concealed Carry magazine has ten times the useful/practical information and a tenth of the propaganda.

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #68 on: April 30, 2019, 06:12:25 PM »
Very, very interesting.

I’m a USCCA member and NRA wanting them to go under is infuriating.  Concealed Carry magazine has ten times the useful/practical information and a tenth of the propaganda.

Look, common ground!  I agree 100%. I complained to an NRA board member on the concealed carry insurance and how they mistreated uscca.  CC magazine is one of the best gun mags.  It is alao one of the best for women content.  USCCA has done a great job of helping women join the CC ranks.  And Tim Schmidt is one of the nicest guys you will ever meet.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #69 on: April 30, 2019, 08:07:16 PM »
Hallelujah!!

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #70 on: May 01, 2019, 02:17:18 PM »
Just got his email.  Truncated:

XXX,

I need your help and I need it TODAY.

The fact is, your NRA is now facing an attack that's unprecedented not just in the history of the NRA, but in the entire history of our country.

And if this attack succeeds, NRA will be forced to shut down forever.

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #71 on: May 04, 2019, 10:57:30 AM »
Ironically, the media attacks are leading to the biggest fundraising and membership expansion opportunity ever.  Pretty much everyone now recognizes these attacks for what they are and that is attracting new members.  Here our local NRA affilliated range just hit record (1275 familes).  This is happening all over.

https://www.greensburgdailynews.com/news/nra-members-media-tarnishing-organization/article_dced69c3-1aa4-51e4-a403-7530f4bd3c02.html
NRA members: Media tarnishing organization
NRA supporters dismissed financial woes, leadership upheaval

INDIANAPOLIS – The National Rifle Association’s leadership turmoil and financial deficits were described by some loyal NRA members at the group’s national convention last week as the product of an overzealous news media.

“I don’t believe what they say,” said Dave Martin, a Richmond, Indiana, gun shop owner. “The NRA doesn’t need to change; people have to stop paying attention to the media.”

Martin and his wife, Becky, have been NRA members since 1972. They also own a gun shop and operate a shooting range in Richmond.
Carl Carson, an NRA member from northern Indiana, said there is always criticism of the organization, given its strong stance in favor of the Second Amendment and its opposition to gun-control measures.

“I joined the NRA because I really don’t have a voice in Washington, D.C.,” he said. “I’m just an average American, I want someone who will take my concerns and voice them in Washington.”

And Carlson isn’t concerned about the NRA’s budget.

“I know it costs money to get the word out,” he said. “I think certain media have inflated the issue.”

William Le Gette Jr. of Clemson, South Carolina, has been an NRA member since the 1980s.

“I think they will be able to overcome it,” he said of the NRA’s financial deficits. “They need to do whatever it takes to support the Second Amendment. It’s too important to ignore it.”

NRA members interviewed said the organization doesn’t have an image problem.

Jason Clark of Greensboro, Indiana, just joined the NRA last week. He blamed the group’s problems on liberals.

“The left hates who we are, they hate the Second Amendment,” he said. “What image do we have to change? We’re law-abiding citizens. We have a right to bear arms.”
« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 11:13:54 AM by iam4liberty »

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #72 on: May 11, 2019, 02:39:03 PM »
WSJ:  Leaked Letters Reveal Details of NRA Chief’s Alleged Spending

National Rifle Association CEO Wayne LaPierre billed the group’s ad agency $39,000 for one day of shopping at a Beverly Hills clothing boutique, $18,300 for a car and driver in Europe, and had the agency cover $13,800 in rent for a summer intern, according to newly revealed NRA internal documents.

The documents, posted anonymously on the internet, provide new details of the clothing, travel and other expenses totaling more than $542,000 that Ackerman McQueen Inc. alleges Mr. LaPierre billed to it.

Beverly Hills?  Really???

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #73 on: May 11, 2019, 02:43:53 PM »
And.......

had the agency cover $13,800 in rent for a summer intern

Summer intern........Someone's rent??

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #74 on: May 11, 2019, 02:46:38 PM »
And.......

Summer intern mistress........Someone's rent??

Offline Ken325

• Survivalist Mentor
  • "Winter is Coming"
« Reply #75 on: May 12, 2019, 04:13:09 PM »
I did a 2 month detail in DC and rent was about $4000 at a nice extended stay hotel.  It's an expensive place to live but $13,800 is crazy. 

On the main topic.  I am keeping my membership.  The NRA is the most effective orginization for preserving gun rights.  The dems, Blumberg, and others are coming for us.  Once they take our gun rights then we are done as a country.  I think the media, democrats, and  billionaires like Soros want global government.  That won't happen until the US is disarmed.  I am disapointed with recent decisons by the NRA but we need to fix it not abandon it.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #76 on: May 13, 2019, 09:19:29 AM »
Maybe if the NRA paid it's executive like the non-profit charity it claims to be?

When people donate $100 to the Red Cross following a natural disaster, and later they learned that < $10 of their donation ended up "on the ground" helping victims, donors are rightfully angry.

I think we should at least hold a similar standard for the NRA.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #77 on: May 13, 2019, 11:28:49 AM »
It’s like the NRA has turned into a sleazy mega church where the slickster at the podium is telling all the little old ladies that it’s God’s will they donate so he can get that new G5 jet.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #78 on: May 13, 2019, 04:45:03 PM »
Ayup.

Hey, without googling for the answer at the moment (me), wasn't Oliver North in some kind of government/military scandal before he took over NRA leadership??

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #79 on: May 13, 2019, 05:12:58 PM »
Yep. Iran Contra during Reagan years.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #80 on: May 14, 2019, 07:12:09 PM »
Today, NRA Board Member Allen West called for Wayne LaPierre to resign:  https://theoldschoolpatriot.com/statement-regarding-nra/

It has become very apparent that I need to speak out about what is happening at the National Rifle Association.

I am in my second term as a Board member, and I am deeply concerned about the actions and statements being made. The recent statements by Charles Cotton and Carolyn Meadows that are appearing in the Wall Street Journal, and now other news outlets, are outright lies. I have never been told, advised, informed or consulted about any of these details mentioned in the WSJ, and who knows how much more despicable spending of members’ money.

These statements have maliciously, recklessly and purposefully put me, and uninformed Board members, in legal jeopardy.

Prior to the NRAAM in Indianapolis I sent an email to Wayne LaPierre’s managing director, Millie Hallow, expressing my sentiment that Wayne LaPierre resign immediately.

I also drafted a memo entitled “Resolution of Concerns,” both of these statements are known to the NRA Board. It is imperative that the NRA cleans its own house. If we had done so in Indianapolis, much of this could have been rectified.

I do not support Wayne LaPierre continuing as the EVP/CEO of the NRA. The vote in Indianapolis was by acclamation, not roll call vote. There is a cabal of cronyism operating within the NRA and that exists within the Board of Directors. It must cease, and I do not care if I draw their angst. My duty and responsibility is to the Members of the National Rifle Association, and my oath, since July 31, 1982, has been to the Constitution of the United States, not to any political party, person, or cabal.

The NRA Board of 76 is too large and needs to be reduced to 30 or less. We need term limits of four (4) terms on the Board. We need to focus the NRA, the nation’s oldest civil rights organization on its original charter, mission, training and education in marksmanship, shooting sports, and the defense of the Second Amendment.

I will dedicate all my efforts to the reformation of the National Rifle Association and its members, of whom I am proud to serve.

It sickens me to publicly make this statement, but I will not allow anyone to damage my honor, integrity, character, and reputation. Needless to say, there are those who have willingly done so to their own.

NYT:  At the N.R.A., a Cash Machine Sputtering

The tantalizing leaks have spilled out in the weeks since the National Rifle Association’s annual convention in Indianapolis devolved into civil war.

Amid anxiety over falling revenue and mounting legal trouble has come news that the gun group’s longtime chief executive, Wayne LaPierre, billed $275,000 for purchases at the Zegna luxury men’s wear boutique in Beverly Hills. Its largely ceremonial president, Oliver L. North, had a contract worth millions of dollars a year. And a litany of payments benefited prominent officials, like the $60,000 for advertising on a TV show featuring the rock musician and N.R.A. board member Ted Nugent.

But behind the internecine squabbling lie deeper financial problems. A review of tax records by The New York Times shows that, to steady its finances, the powerful lobbying group has increasingly relied on cash infusions and other transactions involving its affiliated foundation — at least $206 million worth since 2010.

Some members believe the group has been woefully managed. In a recent open letter, Steve Hoback, a former N.R.A. official in its training department, warned that the organization had “become the swamp that many have lashed out against in our Federal government.”
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 07:27:11 PM by FreeLancer »

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #81 on: May 14, 2019, 07:24:44 PM »
Maybe if the NRA paid it's executive like the non-profit charity it claims to be?

When people donate $100 to the Red Cross following a natural disaster, and later they learned that < $10 of their donation ended up "on the ground" helping victims, donors are rightfully angry.

I think we should at least hold a similar standard for the NRA.

I found this in the above NYT article:

Senior N.R.A. executives are well compensated; eight of them make more than the head of the American Red Cross, a tax-exempt organization with 10 times the revenue of the N.R.A. Mr. LaPierre’s total pay spiked in 2015 to more than $5 million because of an early retirement payout.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #82 on: May 15, 2019, 10:48:08 AM »
https://www.npr.org/2019/05/15/722960414/as-leaks-show-lavish-nra-spending-former-staff-detail-poor-conditions-at-nonprof

Buried at the bottom of one page of the pension report, in a bullet point, the NRA said it had implemented a freeze to their pension plan in 2018. This means that even current employees who are in the plan can no longer accrue new benefits despite continuing to work for the organization.

"In effect, it is the most an organization can do to cut pension benefits without completely terminating its plan," Mittendorf said.

The freeze in benefits for employees who participate in the pension plan is in contrast to a one-time $3,767,345 supplemental retirement payment LaPierre received in 2015 according to the NRA's public disclosures.

"It's indicative that the organization has not set aside sufficient funds to cover of its rank and file employee's retirements," Mittendorf said. "That means that the organization's financial trouble puts these rank and file employees' future at risk. Something would need to change at the organization to cover them... The people at the top are going to be financially secure. It's the rank and file employees that are at risk."

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #83 on: May 15, 2019, 12:29:16 PM »
I praise that board member for speaking up, though it may get him ousted/voted out.
Somebody in that organization needs to speak up...

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #84 on: May 17, 2019, 04:13:31 PM »
I praise that board member for speaking up, though it may get him ousted/voted out.
Somebody in that organization needs to speak up...

Below is Carrie Lightfoot's statement.  Carrie is an extremely well respected member of the industry.  She is both an NRA instructior and USCCA training counselor and founded The Well Armed Woman, one of the fastest growing shooting groups in the country.  As an NRA board member she has direct access to the information under discussion.  It is worthwhile to read her statement in full.

https://thewellarmedwoman.com/blog/knock-it-off-and-protect-the-wall/
Knock It Off and Protect the Wall

I’m surprised and disappointed at how quickly and blindly so many grab on to the misinformation about the NRA that’s put forth and paid for by Bloomberg and those foaming at the mouth to take away our Second Amendment. If you didn’t know, they are the source of all the lies that we see flooding the news. This tactic of intentionally spreading misinformation to discredit an enemy is no different from what we see happening in DC every day. We witnessed it during the confirmation of Justice Kavanaugh, and we see it happening now to Attorney General Barr. I would wager you abhor this foul play and shake your fist at it every day. Now ask yourself is what we are seeing with the NRA somehow different?  I think you will see that it isn’t.

This spreading of misinformation is an intentional tactic designed to weaken the NRA. Why? Because the NRA is the solid brick wall between them and our Second Amendment. Guess what? Those that believe the garbage and attack the NRA without knowing the facts are creating cracks in our wall. You do as much damage to our Second Amendment as Bloomberg and his ilk.

Of course, there is work to be done at the NRA. Of course, it isn’t a 100% perfect organization free of mistakes. There have been actions some won’t agree with or understand but don’t we all want the healthiest and most effective NRA we have ever had? However, some rip the leadership, the staff, and those that passionately volunteer their time on OUR behalf damaging the wall even further. You undermine not only them personally but undermine their work as well. Based on what? Falsehoods, gossip, and lies?

It is true, you don’t have all of the facts and all information. It’s important to keep in mind this is necessary for them to protect us as well as themselves.

The NRA is in the middle of MAJOR legal actions. They are wrapped up in lawsuits with NY Governor Cuomo, New York’s financial regulation agency, and NY Attorney General Leticia James. For example, the NRA is fighting back for the state of New York’s “blacklisting campaign” aimed at getting banks to cut ties with the NRA. James, while campaigning for her election last year, said in an interview “The NRA holds [itself] out as a charitable organization, but in fact, [it] really [is] a terrorist organization.” Now elected, she is coming after us. She has opened an investigation threatening the NRA’s nonprofit status. These legal battles threaten the very existence of the NRA.

The facts MUST be protected to ensure our success. The NRA can’t put out information or evidence that would in any way jeopardize our position in these cases. Is it a coincidence that the misinformation put out there that is causing the anxiety and anger towards the NRA is precisely the type of information that can’t be released to clear their name? It is more than a coincidence, it’s intentional. It is intended to cause the exact response we are seeing in the gun community with the intended goal of creating division, discrediting NRA leaders and bringing down the NRA-giving them free run to trample our Second Amendment.

“There are influential people in the gun community that are writing articles and saying it is all true” you say. I can’t speak for them, know what is in their heart or what motivates them to do so, but I can and will tell you what I think: They don’t know the facts! They are not privy to them, period. Does ego play a role? Perhaps. Do some naysayers just have to be in a fight? Perhaps. Could retribution be the motivation? Perhaps. Do some people just love the thrill of a scandal? Perhaps.

They may tell you they heard this or that from someone on the inside, but I must ask, how can you trust what has been divulged if they so greatly lack integrity, that they are leaking information in the first place? That alone puts their “facts” into question. How do we know said leaker is not a plant or paid off by those that are hell-bent on the destruction of our Second Amendment? If someone from the inside did truly leak information, it is a fraction of incomplete information intentionally absent of “the rest of the story.” Shame on them.

Another “scandal” surrounding the NRA is that of their CEO. I can hear it already! “Wayne LaPierre is paid too much!” So how much is the protection of your Second Amendment worth to you? I don’t know about you, but I want the person best suited, best gifted, most experienced, and most qualified to lead in the fight to preserve our Second Amendment. I also want to pay him enough to compensate for all the sacrifices and the threats to him and his family. Do you really want to change the General in the middle of a battle that we are winning just to try and save a few dollars? Is putting our Second Amendment at risk worth it? No, I don’t think so.

The CEO of the Los Angeles Philharmonic makes more than Wayne. The CEO of the Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts makes a lot more than Wayne. What has either of these CEO’s done to protect your Constitutionally protected rights? Nothing. By the way, both examples also operate on smaller budgets than the NRA. The President of the University of Chicago makes more than twice what Wayne makes. Believe it or not, these salaries are from 2014!! I wonder what they are paid now? Now, do you believe Wayne is paid too much? No, I don’t think so.

Yes, I am frustrated. I am discouraged by what I am seeing and reading out there. I have read article after article, social media post after social media post, and I just can’t take it anymore. It is painful to watch all of these forces weakening our wall. My brother and sister patriots so quickly losing sight of the decades of successes, un-grateful for all the sucker-punching of our NRA leaders on our “behalf,” and to see you turn against the one and only organization that stands between us and the loss of our ability to protect ourselves and our country is very disheartening.

Again, is the NRA perfect? No. Do we have some work to do? Yes, but for heaven’s sake, wise up to the masterful manipulation playing out and don’t fall prey to it. Don’t be a weak brick in the wall and please don’t be so quick to jump ship. Hang in there, we are all on the same side.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #85 on: May 18, 2019, 09:27:48 AM »
Well. What..who to believe

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #86 on: May 18, 2019, 09:50:20 AM »
I made it to “foaming at the mouth...”

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #87 on: May 19, 2019, 02:51:42 PM »
Allen West released a new statement

https://www.ammoland.com/2019/05/we-need-a-strong-focused-reformed-national-rifle-association-video/#axzz5oPCTg811
We Need a Strong, Focused, & Reformed National Rifle Association

Okay, there has been quite a bit of reaction to my statement earlier this week about the National Rifle Association. I took my public stance because we need to have an NRA that is laser-focused and ready to do battle against the progressive socialist left.

Unless you have been completely ignoring the news from Venezuela, and its history, disarmament of the people is a necessity for the tyranny of the left to succeed. This is indeed an “all in, all hands on deck” moment for freedom and liberty loving Americans. I have a special, and sincere, affinity for the NRA, which I had the honor to express in a speech at the NRA-ILA in Atlanta, my hometown, in 2017.
If we are to defend this great nation, it means defending that one constitutional right that precludes us from being subjugated. In order to achieve that objective, that goal, we do not need the distractions that currently face the NRA. We need not focus on single individuals, but rather what shall we secure, and pass on, for future generations.
To all these leftist media outlets that want to talk with me [about the NRA], please stop contacting me. Trust me, it was not my intent to give y’all talking points with my statement. My statement was all about reforming the NRA, focusing it on its core competencies so we can kick Michael Bloomberg in the ass. I long for the day when I can look down to this little tyrannical Napoleon and let him know he will not succeed. I want to see each and every single anti-gun group defeated. I want to stand before the CEO of Levi Strauss wearing my Wrangler jeans and let him know he will not enable the disarming of the American people.
What Sen. Harris is seeking to do is abjectly unconstitutional. Her aim is to use the tyrannical power of her office, as president, to strip individual American citizens of their constitutional right. It may sound good to the deranged followers of progressive socialism, but it will not succeed.

Just why won’t it succeed? Because Americans now, just as back in 1775, will not tolerate this. There is no difference between these people and King George III, or Hugo Chavez.

What stands in their way? Yes, the nation’s oldest civil rights organization. No, it ain’t the doggone NAACP, which was started by two white progressive socialists . . . and run by a black communist.
The nation’s oldest civil rights organization is the NRA.

I believe that out of this current organizational turmoil, our nation will witness a stronger, more committed, NRA. It will be an NRA that will regain the trust and confidence of its five million members, and increase its numbers. It will be an NRA that will not have to send out incessant solicitations for funding and support. The resources will flow because a new, reformed, re-energized NRA will go on the offense and instill fear in the hearts of the tyrants of the left.
America needs the National Rifle Association in these troublesome times.

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #88 on: May 24, 2019, 03:52:59 PM »
Email Dated May 23, 2019

Subject: An Important Message From Your NRA Leadership and Past Presidents

Dear Fellow NRA Member:

Since the NRA was founded almost 150 years ago, our adversaries have repeatedly tried to take us down. Today is no different. A recent burst of media claims the NRA is vulnerable, financially unstable, and weakened in its fight to defend the Second Amendment. Obviously intent on not letting the facts get in the way of a good story, most reports offer a distorted and inaccurate view of the NRA. As officers and past presidents of the NRA, we write today to set the record straight.

As you may know, we recently convened in Indianapolis for one of the largest NRA conventions in our history. More than 80,000 of our members showed up to gather as one NRA family - to support our Association and celebrate our nation's constitutional freedoms. During our annual Members Meeting on April 27, some asked for greater insight into three issues: the NRA's financial affairs, our direction and strategy, and the supervisory role being played by our board of directors. We had an open forum and spirited discussion.

Of course, our discussions were portrayed as a sort of family feud. (Infighting at the NRA - Chaos and Controversy!). At the NRA, we take pride in the fact that our Association is inclusive and invites the active participation of every member. Every member has an opportunity to voice any concern they may have at the Members Meeting. In fact, our greatest privilege is hearing from our members. Like many of you, that's why we were at the Members Meeting in the first place and spent countless hours on the convention floor.

Fact: During a board of directors meeting on April 29, Wayne LaPierre was elected by acclamation to continue serving as our CEO and Executive Vice President. The board also unanimously elected Carolyn D. Meadows to serve as our new president.

Perhaps looking for a way to counter the narrative about a stronger, more unified NRA, questions have now conveniently surfaced about our financial situation and our standing in the regulatory arena. There also have been frequent attacks on Wayne's personal character.

Fact: According to the NRA's chief financial officer, we are on budget in 2019. The NRA is meeting all banking and supplier financial obligations and we continue to aggressively manage our cost structure to offset the orchestrated and calculated attacks against NRA's finances in 2018. Put another way, our financial house is in order - we aren't going away.

We have full confidence in the NRA's accounting practices and commitment to good governance.

Fact: The Association's financials are audited and its tax filings are verified by one of the most reputable firms in the world. Internally, the Association has a conflict of interest policy and, where appropriate, related-party transactions are reviewed and approved by the board's Audit Committee.

Simply put, we are well-positioned on the regulatory front and poised to handle all challenges that confront us.

Personal attacks against the NRA's leaders are nothing new. Recent ones have focused on wardrobe purchases and travel expenses incurred by Wayne. If members hear of an allegation, they can be assured that it has been or will be addressed by the appropriate committees within our board of directors.

Fact: We have committees in place to oversee issues relating to Accounting, Legal Affairs, and Ethics, among others - and every board member is invited to attend these meetings. Please remember that all of us are elected by you - our members. We are not elected by Wayne or anyone on the NRA executive team. We serve as your elected representatives.

Fact: Over the years, Wayne had been advised by the NRA's advertising professionals to invest in his professional wardrobe due to his numerous public and media appearances. We understand that this was the same agency that facilitated the clothing purchases. What wasn't as evident in this "disclosure" is that the clothing expenses referenced in media reports dated back to expenses from 15 years ago! To put it in perspective, over this time period, Wayne has participated in thousands of events and hundreds of TV appearances, and personally directed fundraising efforts that total in the hundreds of millions of dollars. In any event, this practice was discontinued some time ago.

Fact: The vast majority of the travel in question involved donor outreach, fundraising, and stakeholder engagement. As an example, The Wall Street Journal reported that a trip to Italy was "tied to a 2015 documentary feature on the Italian gun maker posted on NRATV." Beretta, as you may know, is a major supporter of the NRA and our Second Amendment.

We are not inclined to further discuss unfounded attacks on our organization, political infighting, or a "weakened" NRA.

However, we will say this: Our adversaries will not divide us and any further discussion about the so-called "demise of the NRA" is only meant to distract us from our mission. This is how it goes when you stand on the bedrock of constitutional freedom - and represent the last line of defense against a campaign to take down the Second Amendment.

While board members may argue, and perhaps even disagree as to tactics, the support Wayne and the current leadership enjoys reflects our assessment of his past and future value to the association as well as our realization that our opponents know they have to take him down if they want to weaken the NRA.

As one NRA member recently said, the true story of the NRA won't be found in today's press clippings. It will be written in the history books.

Wayne has been standing shoulder-to-shoulder with all of us for most of his professional life. He has our support. A campaign to oust him failed - as the facts emerged, true motivations became apparent, and we agreed as to who should lead our fight for freedom. We are now moving forward.

Fact: We will confront our opponents, defend our values, and proudly continue our tradition as the greatest civil rights organization in the world.

Just like you, we care about the Second Amendment and our NRA. Just as you do, we know that our fights today are less for us and more for our children and our grandchildren. Just like you, we are all courageous foot soldiers in our fight for freedom. Every single one of us in this fight matters. The Second Amendment is where it is today because of all of OUR efforts. That's why you matter to our cause and our Association.

We are the NRA. United we stand. And together, we'll win.

Signed,

Carolyn D. Meadows
President

Charles L. Cotton
First Vice President

Lt. Col. Willes K. Lee USA (Ret)
Second Vice President

Allan D. Cors
Past President

James W. Porter
Past President

David A. Keene
Past President

Ronald L. Schmeits
Past President

John C. Sigler
Past President

Sandra S. Froman
Past President

Kayne B. Robinson
Past President

Marion P. Hammer
Past President

Robert K. Corbin
Past President

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #89 on: May 29, 2019, 04:06:01 PM »
Ad agency that runs NRA TV calling it quits:  https://www.thedailybeast.com/nratv-future-in-jeopardy-after-the-ad-agency-ackerman-mcqueen-severs-ties-with-the-nra

“Today, faced with the NRA’s many inexplicable actions that have constructively terminated the parties’ Services Agreement, Ackerman McQueen decided it is time to stand up for the truth, and formally provide a Notice to Terminate its almost four-decade long relationship with the National Rifle Association,” the ad firm said in a statement.

“The turmoil the NRA faces today was self-inflicted,” the statement continued. “It could have been avoided. We deeply regret that it wasn’t.”