Author Topic: Hypario® X Nagoya 771 DUAL BAND 144/430Mhz SMA-F UV Ham Radio Antenna  (Read 3663 times)

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HUDU1V8/

I'm blessed to live among numerous repeaters at relatively high elevations.  I really didn't NEED a replacement antenna for my Baofeng UV5R.  If maximum VHF range was important, I'd switch to the mobile rig.  But then I saw this antenna for less than $13 shipped with amazon prime, and the reviews seemed fantastic.

This antenna makes a noticeable improvement.  I've done side by side comparisons with the stock antenna and listeners on the other claim a louder, and cleaner signal from me.
While $13 isn't much money, it is over 40% the price I paid for the Chinese H/T :)

The length is 14.5"  It's on the long side, but as a taller guy, I can place my radio in a jacket pocket without it being too obnoxious.  The antenna is very thin and "whip" like, so it'll flex against your body as needed.  I plan to keep this on my emergency HT.

BE WARNED

There are many FAKE versions of this antenna.  Follow the link I've provided, or ensure the source manufacture is the same.  It's not worth saving $2 to get a useless antenna.

Offline TexasGirl

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Simple country farm girl. Prepper? What's that?
It has a SMA female, which is correct for those Beofeng HT's, but they list being compatible with many Kenwood's.  I thought the Kenwood's required the SMA male connectors, just like the Woxun's?

~TG

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
It has a SMA female, which is correct for those Beofeng HT's, but they list being compatible with many Kenwood's.  I thought the Kenwood's required the SMA male connectors, just like the Woxun's?

~TG

I don't  own a kenwood but i may ask around.  Baofeng uv5r have a male on the radio end and thus require an antenna with a female sma.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
This Russian separatist needs a better antenna:

Offline Canadian Prepper

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
I just caught this thread and took a look at my Baofengs to discover that this is the same antenna that I picked up for my UV-82L radios. I purchased the antennas for about eight or nine dollars from radioddity.com along with the handhelds. The antenna with the 82L is already known for being better than the one that comes on the UV5R, but at the price I decided to get the 771s as well.

Just this past weekend I took my handheld with this antenna with me on a road trip out of the city to see how far I could get while tripping the repeater. VE3TWR sits atop the CN Tower, so for people living outside of mountains or really flat terrain, we're still kind of spoiled as far as repeater range goes.

Going north away from the city, I was able to communicate effectively through the repeater from about ten miles away from it with the Nagoya antenna. The person I was QSOing with was hitting the tower from about forty or fifty miles away but with a base station Cushcraft antenna and an Icom transceiver (probably a mobile serving as a base station) so it was a rather interesting contact. Returning to the city I was able to hit the repeater from about 20 miles out from a high point, and again tripped it when within just a few miles further North from where I'd had the distant QSO earlier that day.

I would suggest paying attention to Radioddity.com for good deals on Baofengs and accessories. If anything, I tend to quickly build up a massive wishlist on their site that I pare down to a reasonable purchase. They also have frequent deals on pricing, shipping, etc., so they might be the best way to stock up on Baofeng radios and accessories.