Author Topic: TECSUN PL 360 ,a great portable radio that works  (Read 4812 times)

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
TECSUN PL 360 ,a great portable radio that works
« on: March 20, 2015, 02:45:25 PM »
The TECSUN PL 360 is a pretty good choice for a pocket radio for day to day ,travel,and preparedness use.

Covers FM: 87-108MHz;AM: 520-1710; SW: 2300-21950 KHz . NO SSB for Ham ,but still a great radio.
Has a built in alarm clock and sleep timer to shut down if you do.
It also has a built in thermometer C or F and auto-program scan for easy use with digital frequency display and external AM long range antenna that will do duty as a direction finder(you can get direction of listened to radio station on AM)

Built in charger for the AA batteries and charges from USB (Mini USB cable needed)from adapter,PC,or battery pack cell charger. I got a couple of weeks use without charging while in the nursing home. The pull up FM/SW antenna does good work with Short Wave commercial broadcast stations and local FM stations.

The provided carry case is good and I found the radio fits in a open top eyeglass case well as it is a little tall for shirt pocket carry.If it had an internal LED light ...it would be a perfect little travel radio. It also has the attachable AM/Long wave antenna,the wire SW antenna (clips to the pull-up antenna) and an ear bud,the built in speaker is great for voice,but a bit small to listen to music...but acceptable.All this and 450 memories for FIFTY DOLLARS.

http://www.amazon.com/Tecsun-PL-360-Digital-Portable-Shortwave/dp/B004QJKO52/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1426883117&sr=1-1&keywords=pl+360

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
Re: TECSUN PL 360 ,a great portable radio that works
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2015, 08:31:47 AM »
I still use this radio every day and it often plays talk radio all night to make the
noises that wake me or my dog...a talk radio stations keeps us aware of
bigfoot and alien activities...helps us both sleep better.The dog has become
a bit of a DITTO HEAD though.

Offline Freedom Forged

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2015, 11:48:28 AM »
Thanks Carl, this is good information.  I've been considering a Tecsun but didn't know which model. 
David

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2015, 01:59:59 PM »
Thanks Carl, this is good information.  I've been considering a Tecsun but didn't know which model. 
David

As noted ,this radio has a lot going for it ,but is an odd shape/size for pocket.
For the same features in a more traditional shape ,I would get a PL-380.

http://www.amazon.com/Tecsun-PL-380-Stereo-Receiver-pocket/dp/B0035X1EC2/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1437767794&sr=1-2&keywords=tecsun+380

Offline Ken325

• Survivalist Mentor
  • "Winter is Coming"
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2015, 01:35:42 AM »
I have a Tecsun PL-380 and it is a great radio.  I also have a Tecsun PL-660 because the AMRRON website said you need a SW radio with SSB.  The 660 is a lot bigger and it has a big AC adapter instead of a USB cable for power. The newer Tecsun PL-880 looks like it uses a USB cable also.  I have a lot of AC and DC USB chargers that I bought for cell phones, so I really prefer this to a big proprietary AC adapter. I don't think the 660s reception is much better than the PL-380 and it is bigger and more expensive.  I guess it all depends on how important SSB is.  It sounds like you can listen to most HF ham radios with SSB but I can't hear much with mine.  Maybe it is an antenna issue.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2015, 06:24:14 AM »
I have a Tecsun PL-380 and it is a great radio.  I also have a Tecsun PL-660 because the AMRRON website said you need a SW radio with SSB.  The 660 is a lot bigger and it has a big AC adapter instead of a USB cable for power. The newer Tecsun PL-880 looks like it uses a USB cable also.  I have a lot of AC and DC USB chargers that I bought for cell phones, so I really prefer this to a big proprietary AC adapter. I don't think the 660s reception is much better than the PL-380 and it is bigger and more expensive.  I guess it all depends on how important SSB is.  It sounds like you can listen to most HF ham radios with SSB but I can't hear much with mine.  Maybe it is an antenna issue.

You bring up an issue that I have thought on for some time about SSB....
it is not easy to actually tune to the narrow signal of a Han transceiver
without a radio made to tune such narrow signals ...
a radio with much finer frequency adjustments than is typical of typical
pocket size radios...yes,the radios work,but the users often tune past
a SSB signal without recognizing it as a signal...but as just more static
due to the speed at which the radio tunes across the frequencies. Also
the power of Ham radio is most often much lower power than
broadcast stations .

All of these factors lead to my question as to the
actual NEED for SSB for the casual listener as the radios with capability
to eune the typical Ham conversations are larger and higher cost than
the casual listener would normally buy...and thus new radio frustration .

The main trouble with small SSB radios is signal drift (within the radio circuits)
and lack of sensitivity to actually tune a Ham signal with a tiny tuning knob that
adjust the radio in LEAPS ,rather than short steps needed to discern a SSB signal.

I am going to repost this as a NEW THREAD as it is a subject that can save frustration
for those who buy a radio and think skill is an accessory that is in the box.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2018, 08:12:15 AM »
  Almost 4 years later and the PL-360 is still my favorite radio in my small kit that I carry for hospital and nursing home stays that often turn into more than overnight stays.The radio ,with ENELOOP "AA" rechargable batteries ,a USB wall and auto adapter and USB cable are still a favorite for size and capability and fit a small bag with a flashlight with a few personal items. It provides many comforts and information while being in unfamiliar surroundings.

The auto-scan allows me to save much time by storing what stations I can hear in the often 'radio dead' zones and saves much time . The clock and thermometer also provide more comforts that are often lacking.

Offline SCWolverine

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2018, 08:08:34 AM »
  Almost 4 years later and the PL-360 is still my favorite radio in my small kit...

With a 360 in the name you know it's gotta be great  :P

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2020, 09:57:03 PM »
So I've been playing with the Tecsun PL-360 for a couple weeks and find it frustrating to use for anything other than maybe one-handed use when on the go. 

It's kind of tacticool with the unique AM antenna that swivels around the dedicated jack on the top but it performs worse than my Tecsun PL-310et with a similar feature set at the same price point.  Unless everything you want to listen to is already programmed into memory I'd rather have the more traditional user interface with a number pad for jumping around the bands.  I also find that the 360 doesn't perform as well when not being held in the hand, put it down on the table and the SW reception can get dramatically worse. 

I'm guessing there must be a use case for these elongated receivers with tiny buttons and no keypad but I'm not really sure what it is.  While I think it probably performs as well as can be expected for what it is, it's the Tecsun I least like to use.