Author Topic: Classic survivalist or post apocalyptic books  (Read 85043 times)

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
Re: Classic survivalist or post apocalyptic books
« Reply #120 on: May 30, 2009, 11:10:20 AM »
Huge +1 for the works of Robert A. Heinlein

Tunnel and the Sky and Farnham's Freehold are the two most directly applicable to survivalism

The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress is an outstanding tale of revolution on the moon.

Almost all his works at least touch briefly on preparedness themes in some fashion, sometimes just a glimpse.  His works are nothing if not thought provoking.

Offline TrashCanMan

• International Connection
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • UK Based Prepper
« Reply #121 on: May 30, 2009, 04:00:59 PM »
Keep reading.  It will scare you at times.  Lots to think about.

Excellent book.  Finished it today.  Must put more efforts into preparing!!

Angie

« Reply #122 on: May 31, 2009, 07:20:42 AM »
One Second After is the real reason I began prepping.  I downloaded it to my I-pod to listen to on a trip.  It blew me away.  The characters were real people, caught in a nightmare no one had prepared for.  As a result I got on the writer's website which lead me to other website.  So not only have I begun a food storage program, I've bought a gun, am learning to shoot, and learning what I need to know before TEOFWAWKI. 

I only worry I won't have time to gather all I need.  I'd read the Stand and other such books, but somehow they felt like novels.  This one felt real - like it might happen real soon.

I currently reading "Patriot" because of the wonderful information it contains.  The knowledge form both books have prevented me from making mistakes in my prepping activities.

Thanks to the writers.

Offline nikki1843

• Survivor
« Reply #123 on: June 08, 2009, 04:07:56 PM »
I just finished reading 1 second after.  Great book...I couldn't put it down, stayed up hav the night reading! Its all about te after math of EMP weapons being used on the USA.

This book has made me think more about my preps and made me very thankful that I and my kids are not on any medicaton.

Read the book you won't regret it.

Offline Darkwinter

• Junior Evil Overlord
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Has his wife's permission
« Reply #124 on: June 08, 2009, 04:17:14 PM »
Did anyone read Republic:A Story of America's Future, and One second After?

SEMI SPOILER ALERT!!!!
Same main character in each story . . .Both men were military.  Both had a wife that died before her time.  Both in small Appalachia towns. Both had a child with an "terminal" illness (at least post SHTF).  I think both lost a leg but don't quote me on that one.  I think one of the authors read the others book!! :)

Offline Freshman Preppy

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #125 on: June 08, 2009, 07:06:11 PM »
I did just read One Second After, not Republic.  They do sound close.  The dad in One Sec. After didn't lose a leg, just got an infection in his hand towards the beginning. 
Would you recommend Republic?

Offline Darkwinter

• Junior Evil Overlord
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #126 on: June 08, 2009, 07:08:02 PM »
Great book, thought the ending left out a lot.  The author is not done with the second book, so I am hanging.  BUT, I would recomend it, as others have on this thread.  Def. one of those books that makes you think about how fragile society is.

Oh, and it is free on iTUNES as a podcast if you like books on tape.

Offline Freshman Preppy

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #127 on: June 12, 2009, 04:34:44 PM »
Is he working on a sequel?

Offline Darkwinter

• Junior Evil Overlord
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #128 on: June 12, 2009, 04:38:10 PM »
I think so, there are some chapters written, but I don't know if the author is still continuing the book.

Offline yrone

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #129 on: June 12, 2009, 07:04:39 PM »
Theres been great buzz about One Second After, so I picked up a copy. Hope its as good as everyone says. :-)

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
« Reply #130 on: June 13, 2009, 08:06:00 AM »

Theres been great buzz about One Second After, so I picked up a copy. Hope its as good as everyone says. :-)

I just finished One Second After.  I really liked it.  I don't have much to compare it with, except Patriots, which was OK but a bit overdone.

Now I want to listen to the audiobook version of Lights Out that Jack is working on.

I am also reading Goatdog62's Steele Resolve series, which is posted on this forum for free.  Here is the thread: http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=5503.0.  Full disclosure: I gave him a couple of thoughts on the series so I'm biased in favor of it.  But so far it's great.

I learn several important things from each novel.  Plus it's entertaining. 

Offline flagtag

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #131 on: June 13, 2009, 03:49:50 PM »
I keep hoping for a paperback version of "Lights Out". 

Angie

« Reply #132 on: June 14, 2009, 08:36:48 AM »
Considering that "Lights Out" is a free internet download from Frugal Squirrel it seems unlikely there will actually be a paperback.  The writer is very very good.  I read the book - right off my laptop while recuperating from knee surgery.  It was excellent.  I want to hear more from the characters.  Hopefully, he'll write a sequel and get it published.  He deserves the credit and income from being a successful writer.

Offline flagtag

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #133 on: June 14, 2009, 10:57:02 AM »
Considering that "Lights Out" is a free internet download from Frugal Squirrel it seems unlikely there will actually be a paperback.  The writer is very very good.  I read the book - right off my laptop while recuperating from knee surgery.  It was excellent.  I want to hear more from the characters.  Hopefully, he'll write a sequel and get it published.  He deserves the credit and income from being a successful writer.

I totally agree!  More would be great.  (although he has written other - short - stories.) 
While I read it online, it was hard on my eyes. And, you can't take it with you very well.  So, a paperback would not only be easier on eyes such as mine, he could generate more income. (Added to the CDs)
I thought about trying to print it out, but there were WAY too many pages!  I will continue hoping for a paperback version, but, I won't hold my breath.  ;D

Offline Hartmann

• Survivor
« Reply #134 on: June 15, 2009, 10:07:33 PM »

Yes!  I completely agree.  I liked Lights Out better than Patriots.

condor

« Reply #135 on: June 27, 2009, 08:05:50 PM »
apocalyptic books
One Second After
By William R. Forstchen
one of the better books of its kind

gearsource

« Reply #136 on: June 28, 2009, 11:34:05 PM »
Hello;

First post, glad to be here.

Some suggestions:

Free Flight by Douglas Terman (one of the best SHTF books I've ever read and nobody's heard of it).

Famine by Graham Masterton

No Blade of Grass by John Christopher

Vandenburg by Oliver Lange

Pulling Through by Dean Ing

The Camp of the Saints by Jean Raspail

The Last Canadian by William Heine

I, Martha Adams by Pauline Glen Winslow ( a little girl power in the resistance...)

Testament by David Morrell (early work by author of the First Blood series - Excellent)

The Rift by Walter J. Williams (fantastic)

The New Madrid Run by Michael Reisig

Damnation Alley by Roger Zelazny

The Postman by David Brin

Farnham's Freehold by Robert Heinlein

The Survivalist by Giles Tippette (Good stuff - the author was mostly known for Western themed novels)

Cold Creek Cash Store by Russell Hill

Wheels of Rage by Kurt Saxon (available free here - http://www.kurtsaxon.com/wheels/chapter01.html  )

I will post more when I come across them.

Offline flagtag

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #137 on: June 29, 2009, 12:24:19 AM »
There is a book that I read about on another site that I would like to get:  "Fleeing Hitler: France 1940" by Hanna Diamond.  Checked it out a little on Amazon.  ($26.25) Also @ Chapters.indigo.ca for $7.99  (can't figure that out. Huge difference in price.)

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
« Reply #138 on: June 29, 2009, 12:54:51 PM »

Hello;

First post, glad to be here.

Welcome, gearsource.  Very helpful first post.  Keep it up.

Angie

« Reply #139 on: June 29, 2009, 03:07:39 PM »
I have ordered "Unintended Consequences" by John Ross.  I heard it was excellent, used copies on Amazon are $50.00!!  I ordered my for a much lower price (34.95 ha ha) and it is still on back order.

Has anyone read it?  Is it that good?

Offline Mad_Man

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun.
    • Calusa Commons
« Reply #140 on: June 29, 2009, 05:47:34 PM »
Here is The Book to read this summer: "Wolf and Iron" by Gordon Dickson

a review from Amazon: The U. S. has been devastated by worldwide financial collapse. Civilization as readers know it has disappeared. Marauding bands are terrorizing the countryside, killing and looting. Jeremy Bellamy Walthers' goal is to cross 2,000 miles of ravaged countryside to reach the security of his brother's Montana ranch. En route he befriends a wolf who becomes a partner and companion via verbal and nonverbal communication. The story deals with Jeremy's interaction with the wolf and the other human survivors of the economic collapse. Dickson has created another superior novel; it's colorful, well written, and peopled with well-developed, multidimensional characters. The wolf is especially fascinating. YAs who have cut their teeth on such works as George's Julie of the Wolves (Harper, 1972) or Mowatt's Never Cry Wolf (Little, 1963) will enjoy this survival story in sci/fi clothing. --John Lawson, Fairfax County Public Library, VA

http://www.amazon.com/Wolf-Iron-Gordon-R-Dickson/dp/0812533348

One character that I remember was a peddler who traveled from place to place fixing things.  This is probably something we should look into. (I am surprised no one mentioned this book before)

Offline The Wilderness

• The Patriarch of Lunatics
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
    • The Umbafa Chronicles
« Reply #141 on: June 29, 2009, 09:25:56 PM »
I have ordered "Unintended Consequences" by John Ross.  I heard it was excellent, used copies on Amazon are $50.00!!  I ordered my for a much lower price (34.95 ha ha) and it is still on back order.

Angie, I read it a few years ago and enjoyed it a lot. I think that you will like it. Let me know what you think of it.

The Wilderness

Offline OJ

• Survivor
    • Big O Gunleather
« Reply #142 on: June 29, 2009, 09:31:59 PM »

I have it, have read it twice, and throughly enjoyed it. 

That being said, there's good and there's bad.

Good:  it does a GREAT job of illustrating both what's possible with firearms (given enough practice), and how much freedom we've already LOST.

Bad:  I thought the stories of actual events (Ruby Ridge, Waco, etc.) in the book were EXTREMELY biased, to the point of being cartoonish.

Angie

« Reply #143 on: June 30, 2009, 09:59:42 AM »
Thanks, hope I get it soon.

Offline theaccidentalsurvivor

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #144 on: July 02, 2009, 08:23:01 AM »
I have it, have read it twice, and throughly enjoyed it. 

That being said, there's good and there's bad.

Good:  it does a GREAT job of illustrating both what's possible with firearms (given enough practice), and how much freedom we've already LOST.

Bad:  I thought the stories of actual events (Ruby Ridge, Waco, etc.) in the book were EXTREMELY biased, to the point of being cartoonish.

Agreed. I have it and its overall a good book, but like any book the author injects his or her bias......... The truth is usually somewhere in the middle..... Anyway..... It is very insightful in that the freedoms lost are real and the fictional laws passed seem plausible given the state of our nation and our "leaders".

Offline TrashCanMan

• International Connection
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • UK Based Prepper
« Reply #145 on: July 02, 2009, 02:54:44 PM »
Just finished Farnham's Freehold by Robert A Heinlein today.

No spoilers but...  It started off pretty good, got strange for majority of the book and ended weirdly but satisfactory I suppose.

I'd give it a 6 or 7 out of 10

Offline theaccidentalsurvivor

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #146 on: July 02, 2009, 03:00:31 PM »
Just finished Farnham's Freehold by Robert A Heinlein today.

No spoilers but...  It started off pretty good, got strange for majority of the book and ended weirdly but satisfactory I suppose.

I'd give it a 6 or 7 out of 10

My only complaint with Heinlein and some other scifi authors as that they presuppose you know what things are....... ex: "The dirk sclamped over to the flirg"...... thats not a quote from anywhere, just an example......

the beginning in the place with the people was weird too..... they just gets it on lol!

hope that isnt too much info for people who havent read it yet  ;D

Offline yrone

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #147 on: July 04, 2009, 08:12:18 PM »
Finished with One Second After. It is a great book. Reveals insights into just how fragile our system is and how easy some things can be broken and how tough it is to break others. Great read and would recommend anyone pick it up :-)

Offline quietmike

• Survivor
« Reply #148 on: July 04, 2009, 10:05:15 PM »
Here are some that are mostly non-fiction survival books. I tend to like first hand accounts better as they give an idea of what to expect and the mind games of a survival situation.

Adrift-76 days lost at sea-Steve Callahan
http://www.amazon.com/Adrift-Seventy-six-Days-Lost-Sea/dp/0618257322/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1246766201&sr=8-1

Touching the Void-Joe Simpson
http://www.amazon.com/Touching-Void-Story-Miraculous-Survival/dp/0060730552/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1246766364&sr=1-1

Miracle in the Andes-Nando Parrado
http://www.amazon.com/Miracle-Andes-Days-Mountain-Long/dp/140009769X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1246766390&sr=1-1

Hey, I'm Alive-Helen Klaben
http://www.amazon.com/Hey-Im-Alive-Helen-Klaben/dp/0590026348/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1246766450&sr=1-2

Offline BerserkerPrime

• Ice Humping Polar Bear
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • God, Guns and Oil!
« Reply #149 on: July 09, 2009, 06:22:20 PM »
Just finished Walk-About: A Story of the Future by a new TSP member, Rebecca A. Smith.  Fast read at 84 pages and not bad at all.  It seemed to me a chapter of a much larger story and maybe that was RS's intent though I don't know.  There was not as much asskicking action that I prefer, but I'd recommend that folks give it a try.

Berserker Prime