Author Topic: Classic survivalist or post apocalyptic books  (Read 87420 times)

Offline A Pawn

• Senior Survivalist
Re: Classic survivalist or post apocalyptic books
« Reply #90 on: April 10, 2009, 02:24:01 PM »
Just found the name of one of the books. "The Iceberg Hermit" by James Hogg

I just check Amazon on this book and the author is listed as Arthur Roth for those of you who are looking for a copy...  8)

Risko

« Reply #91 on: April 10, 2009, 09:27:37 PM »
You beat me to it... :(

Definately #1 on my list. Literary quality is excellent, which is rare in the genre (the guy won a pulitzer!). The bleakness and desperation is unrelenting all the way through.

++1  My favorite by far.  So well written, yet so on topic.  I want to give a few others that were named here a try.

Thanks everyone for sharing.

~Risko

Offline khristopher23

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #92 on: April 19, 2009, 04:50:37 PM »
Just finished the audio version of "The Last Town on Earth" by Thomas Mullen

http://www.amazon.com/Last-Town-Earth-Novel/dp/0812975928/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1240181242&sr=8-1

An excellent historical fiction book about a logging town in the pacific northwest trying to isolate themselves from the flu of 1918, along with dealing with WWI. I highly recommend it.

Offline Roswell

• Search And Destroy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Posts REALLY REALLY ugly pictures...
    • Making A Homestead, One Day at a Time
« Reply #93 on: April 19, 2009, 06:24:25 PM »
thanks Khristopher I will check that one out, it sounds good.

CheesyD

« Reply #94 on: April 20, 2009, 08:43:43 AM »

It's getting great reviews on Amazon. It's now on my "wish list" there for a future purchase. Thanks!

Offline The Wilderness

• The Patriarch of Lunatics
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
    • The Umbafa Chronicles
« Reply #95 on: April 20, 2009, 11:52:04 PM »

http://www.amazon.com/Last-Town-Earth-Novel/dp/0812975928/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1240181242&sr=8-1

An excellent historical fiction book about a logging town in the pacific northwest trying to isolate themselves from the flu of 1918, along with dealing with WWI. I highly recommend it.

Thanks for the recommendation, I just downloaded it.

TW

Offline Jwatt

• Survivor
« Reply #96 on: April 22, 2009, 04:20:22 PM »
It looks like a big author has recently tackled the subject of survival.

Emergency by Neil Strauss
http://www.amazon.com/Emergency-This-Book-Will-Save/dp/0060898771

I haven't read this book yet but his other book "The Game" was a lot of fun to read. 

Offline Darkwinter

• Junior Evil Overlord
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Has his wife's permission
« Reply #97 on: April 23, 2009, 01:52:00 PM »
Richard Preston:  The Hot Zone  or   The Cobra Event  or   The Deamon in the Freezer.  excellent reads about biological agents.  I would highly recomend.  The Deamon in the Freezer really kicked my preps up!!

Offline The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
« Reply #98 on: April 24, 2009, 01:38:46 PM »
Thank You DeltaEchoVictor!!  And now I'll add a survival series I don't see on the list: William Johnstone's "Ashes" series...the first one  is "Out of the Ashes"  this series is hard core conservative, very military and quite tongue-in-cheek at times.  I loved his phrase "hanky-stomping liberals". His hero Ben Raines pulls no punches, gives no quarter, takes no hostages, follows Marine rules, is beloved by his "troops" and despised by his enemies. 

<chuckle>  Too bad the author went a bit over the deep end.

First, he started making references to the fact that he was the real-life Ben Raines.  Then, he starts writing the book with Ben Raines' background as his own.

For those who don't know about this series.  The main character is a guy who wrote post-apocalyptic fiction before the war started.  He presented in those books (the fictional character, that is) a concept called the Tri-States Philosophy.

Without the character's knowledge, his fans started preparing for an eventual nuclear war and, when it happened, they searched the nuclear-ravaged country looking for the author and begged him to lead them.

Lead them, he does, as a "benevolent" dictator.  They go into three states (Hence the phrase "Tri-States"), kicks the people who do live there out.  They force everyone who wants to live with them to undergo electronic- and drug-induced testing (the ones who don't pass their requirements just don't wake up) and they take on the United States Government.

Yeah, so what? 

Well, what a lot of people don't know or remember is that in the couple of years building up to Y2K, Johnstone started believing his own hype.  Several groups, just like in his books, contacted him and begged him to lead them post-Y2K to actually create the Tri-States (no, I'm not joking. . .I wish I were).

They somehow believed that Johnstone was just like Ben Raines. . .after all, didn't Johnstone write a book where he, the author, interviewed himself, the character of Ben Raines?  (answer: Yes, he did.)

Luckily, Y2K never came about and, as with most fads, the Tri-States Alliance, the Tri-States Coalition, et al, withered away from lack of interest and guidance.

Interesting books, though.

The Professor

Bjartur

« Reply #99 on: May 03, 2009, 10:57:23 AM »
I just got through reading 'The Road' yesterday. Yes, it was good. Very good. But damn...  it was IMO completely depressing. Did no one else feel that way?

A brief warning, I was an English major in college and I have written extensively on Cormac McCarthy.

Something that doesn't seem to have been mentioned is that McCarthy is not writing his PAW novel for the same reason that many do.  For instance, I have just finished reading One Second After by William Forstchen, and books like his as well as James Wesley, Rawles' Patriots are books in the novel form intended to convey a message.  In Forstchen's case, the vulnerability of the USA to EMP attack.  As a side note, the book is a decent cautionary tale, but Forstchen is not a good writer.

In McCarthy's case, the novel is intended to be not cautionary/pop-literature, but a literary dealing with the bleak future/nature of man.  Many here, I am sure, can identify at least in part with this message.  The book is depressing because McCarthy sees little worth saving, if indeed it were even possible.  Many take from it an indomitable push to survive, which is certainly there, but taken in relation to the whole of his canon, McCarthy is working towards his feeling on the irredeemable nature of man.  And rather than having hope because of some return the the prelapsarian, McCarthy conveys a picture of us that cannot possibly be born of innocence.  (Take a look at my footer quote for more on this.)

All of that being said, The Road is one of the better PAW novels I have ever read, if not for practical knowledge, then for its examination of the root of our demise.

Also, Alas, Babylon and We are great reads, though the latter is dystopian rather than post-apocalyptic.

Offline flagtag

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #100 on: May 03, 2009, 11:36:21 AM »
I found (bought) "The Road" at a rummage sale yesterday. Finished it the same day.  It was a pretty good book, although pretty dark, without hope.
The relationship between father and son was a positive.

Offline N8

• Prepper
« Reply #101 on: May 05, 2009, 10:29:47 AM »
+1 for The Road.

I'm 22, read and enjoyed No Country For Old Men, so I bought The Road. Before I read it I had very little urgency or inclination to begin prepping, but several aspects of that story made me want to immediately better my situation. That book was actually what prompted me to search "Survival" in Itunes, and start listening to Jack with rapt attention, back when there were only 4-5 episodes. It seemed like everything had fallen into place for me to start learning.

I was particularly impressed with the Man's initiative when he and his pregnant wife see blinding bright flashes all over the horizon, and he immediately runs to his bathtub and starts filling it, much to the dismay of his wife. Also, the safe haven that they come across, where he notices the gutter downspouts are leading to a homemade underground charcoal fitration system, and they find the food stores and survival gear. It made me want to be more.

It's a bleak setting, but honestly it was the spark i needed to start taking my life more seriously.

Halfway through Unintended Consequences, per your recommendation, really enjoying how John Ross is setting the scene with so much gun culture history. Now I'm waiting on Patriots: Surviving the Coming Collapse.  Don't know if they qualify as survivalist books, but I just got them and now wouldn't go without Boston's Gun Bible, as well as Molan Labe and You and the Police, all by Boston T. Party. 

Offline Muddyboots

• Danger: Do Not Inflate
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • Hoodlum's Ambassador
    • Hood's Woods- the Hoodlums Forum
« Reply #102 on: May 06, 2009, 06:14:45 PM »
I am aghast! Astounded! Amazed! No one mentioned this:

Farnham's Freehold
Trading Post & Restaraunt
American Vodka BAR Liquor. Applejack

Pure Spring Water  Corned Beef & Potatoes  Grade A Milk
            Steak & Fried Potatoes
Day Nursery Jerked Quislings (by the neck) FREE KITTENS!!

!!! Any BOOK Accepted as Cash!!!!!
Farnham School of Contract Bridge
Lessons by Arrangement Social Eve. Every Wed.

Warning!!!

Ring Bell. Wait. Advance With Your
Hands Up. Stay On The Path. Avoid Mines. We Lost
Three Customers Last Week. We Cant Afford
To Lose YOU    Hugh & Barbara Farnham & Fam.
                                        Freeholders

Well thats what the sign says.

Farnham's Freehold By Robert Heinlein

It is a Controversial Classic by one of the Masters, read it.

I also recommend "Tunnels Through The Sky", And actually everything Heinlein wrote!!!!

Muddyboots

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #103 on: May 06, 2009, 06:34:12 PM »
I also recommend "Tunnels Through The Sky", And actually everything Heinlein wrote!!!!

I agree, Boots!  Anything by Heinlein is amazing.  :)

Kara

« Reply #104 on: May 06, 2009, 06:58:22 PM »
I agree too...anything by Heinlein is an outstanding read. Which reminds me that I need to get my books back from my friend...

Offline Freshman Preppy

• Senior Survivalist
GOTTA READ!
« Reply #105 on: May 11, 2009, 09:45:44 PM »
I hope I'm not repeating what someone else may have started on here, but here it goes.  I need to recommend a book I am about 60% through a book called "One Second After" by William Forstchen.
It's about what would happen if an EMP or 3 were launched over our country and fried everything.  The story revolves around a guy who used to be at the war college and knows what's coming.  Within 5 days they are dealing with refugees, food shortages, medical issues, and martial law threatening to TAKE AWAY PREPS from those that thought ahead...... 
It's  a great read.  I bought it on my wife's Kindle and now I have to wait for her to put it down to get back into it.  Have any of you read it?
This is by the guy that write with Newt Gingrich sometimes. 

http://www.amazon.com/One-Second-After-William-Forstchen/dp/0765317583/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1242099727&sr=8-1

Kara

« Reply #106 on: May 11, 2009, 10:04:23 PM »
I bought it on my wife's Kindle and now I have to wait for her to put it down to get back into it. 

http://www.amazon.com/One-Second-After-William-Forstchen/dp/0765317583/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1242099727&sr=8-1

I have to ask what you think of the Kindle. Is it worth the price?

Offline Freshman Preppy

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #107 on: May 12, 2009, 09:07:29 PM »
The Kindle is ABSOLUTELY worth it.  She commutes each day and has her choice of books, magazines, and newspapers in something that weighs as much as a paperback.  It downloads an entire novel in less than a minute.  I am a book lover but was curious about it.  Went to a high school performance one night and while we were waiting for the show to start, a lady next to us had one.  I asked to look at the display and as soon as we saw it, we knew it was something worth getting.  It looks like paper.  Clear, easy to read.
I sound like an advertisement here!  Anyway, it's a cool toy. 

Think about this:  How many Bug Out Bags can carry 1,500 books? ;)

Offline union hill

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #108 on: May 12, 2009, 09:17:28 PM »
I happen to be reading "One second after" on my Kindle too right now, and can second the recommendation.
In addition to being able to browse and buy the latest books, you can also convert lots of .pdf files (think manuals, etc.) for easy reference.
I've got the LDS preparedness doc on there, for one. Tons of useful free stuff on scribd.

Besides that, when reading a book you can get word definitions, I love that.
You can also use it as a simple "no contract" internet device - surf wikipedia and send email from a gmail account for instance...

You get used to the form factor quickly and it's just great to easily be able to take a large backlog of books wherever you go and have the device keep track of where you are in each, etc.

Offline Mord

• Prepper
« Reply #109 on: May 14, 2009, 12:38:29 AM »
I just finished One Second After last weekend.  I really expected this book to be similar to Lights Out.  Instead it portrays an entire towns struggle to survive with a lot less resources.  Definitely one hell of an eye opener when it comes to holes in my preps.  Highly recommend this book!

Offline Petrograde

• Prepper
« Reply #110 on: May 14, 2009, 01:20:40 AM »
+1 for ONE SECOND AFTER

In fact, that book is why I started searching for info for prepping.

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #111 on: May 14, 2009, 05:11:57 PM »
Just a reminder to folks, the entire list can be accessed HERE

I've tried to keep the list current, if I've missed any shoot me a PM with the book & author & I'll add it. 

Offline CFG

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #112 on: May 16, 2009, 09:56:36 PM »
Oh, nice work, DEV.  +1 (as if you needed it.)  ;)

Offline Freshman Preppy

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #113 on: May 17, 2009, 12:41:51 PM »
OK, just finished the book(One Second After).  Well worth it BUT scary as can be.  Figured something out real quick; in THAT scenario, it didn't matter if you prepped.  They all ended up in the same place.  They even mentioned people stocking up and prepping.  The community they were considered 'horders'.  They didn't take anything from them, but they considered it.  The 'preppers' we're allowed ration cards (and I believe medicine/protection) until they applied for them AND agreed to have their homes searched for extra food. 
That was the conversation during one of the earlier mayor/police chief meetings.  It took the common sense of one man to say  'Leave them alone until later.  You'd probably lose some people trying to go in there now.'

Anyway, this book puts a whole new spin on how I think about modern day survivalism. 
Off to buy some vitamins!  ;-)

Offline Roknrandy

• He That Rocks:Viewer Discretion is Advised
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Master Spammer Obliterator
« Reply #114 on: May 18, 2009, 09:48:35 PM »
A brief warning, I was an English major in college and I have written extensively on Cormac McCarthy.

Something that doesn't seem to have been mentioned is that McCarthy is not writing his PAW novel for the same reason that many do.  For instance, I have just finished reading One Second After by William Forstchen, and books like his as well as James Wesley, Rawles' Patriots are books in the novel form intended to convey a message.  In Forstchen's case, the vulnerability of the USA to EMP attack.  As a side note, the book is a decent cautionary tale, but Forstchen is not a good writer.

In McCarthy's case, the novel is intended to be not cautionary/pop-literature, but a literary dealing with the bleak future/nature of man.  Many here, I am sure, can identify at least in part with this message.  The book is depressing because McCarthy sees little worth saving, if indeed it were even possible.  Many take from it an indomitable push to survive, which is certainly there, but taken in relation to the whole of his canon, McCarthy is working towards his feeling on the irredeemable nature of man.  And rather than having hope because of some return the the prelapsarian, McCarthy conveys a picture of us that cannot possibly be born of innocence.  (Take a look at my footer quote for more on this.)

All of that being said, The Road is one of the better PAW novels I have ever read, if not for practical knowledge, then for its examination of the root of our demise.

Also, Alas, Babylon and We are great reads, though the latter is dystopian rather than post-apocalyptic.

I have just finished the audio version of this book and it is good. Highly recommended

Offline flagtag

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #115 on: May 25, 2009, 11:55:26 PM »
I just finished "Foreign Enemies and traitors" by Matthew Bracken.
WOW!  No disappointment here!
You will be so angry that you can chew nails.  You will feel pride.  There will be an "ALLRIGHT! WAY TO GO GIRL!! moment.  You will probably cry.  You may wonder if such things can be done by human beings. (Even tho we have seen news reports on TV about events such as those in this book.)

Your patriotism will get a shot in the arm.
FANTASTIC book!!!!!!!
Please check it out.

(yeah, I kind of liked it........................ ;D)

Offline Doc Savage

• Prepper
« Reply #116 on: May 27, 2009, 04:36:48 AM »
I am about 70% done with "One second after " and would highly recommend it.  I got the audio version and it is well done.  Very thought provoking.

Offline flagtag

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #117 on: May 27, 2009, 09:48:01 AM »
I am about 70% done with "One second after " and would highly recommend it.  I got the audio version and it is well done.  Very thought provoking.

Just ordered it.  I should receive it within a couple weeks.

Offline TrashCanMan

• International Connection
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • UK Based Prepper
« Reply #118 on: May 27, 2009, 01:03:20 PM »
I'm 3/4 of the way through - excellent thus far :)

Offline Freshman Preppy

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #119 on: May 27, 2009, 07:59:19 PM »
Keep reading.  It will scare you at times.  Lots to think about.