Author Topic: Classic survivalist or post apocalyptic books  (Read 87406 times)

Offline Mad_Man

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun.
    • Calusa Commons
Re: Classic survivalist or post apocalyptic books
« Reply #150 on: July 09, 2009, 06:30:05 PM »
Just finished Walk-About: A Story of the Future by a new TSP member, Rebecca A. Smith.  Fast read at 84 pages and not bad at all.  It seemed to me a chapter of a much larger story and maybe that was RS's intent though I don't know.  There was not as much asskicking action that I prefer, but I'd recommend that folks give it a try.

Berserker Prime

How about a link for the story...

Offline BerserkerPrime

• Ice Humping Polar Bear
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • God, Guns and Oil!

Offline Mad_Man

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Calusa Commons

Offline NoRemorse

• BANNED
  • Prepper
« Reply #153 on: September 25, 2009, 02:03:41 PM »

1984 by George Orwell

The story follows the life of one seemingly insignificant man, Winston Smith, a civil servant assigned the task of perpetuating the regime's propaganda by falsifying records and political literature so that it appears that the government is always correct in what it says. Smith grows disillusioned with his meager existence and so begins a rebellion against the system that leads to his arrest and torture.

http://www.amazon.com/1984-George-Orwell/dp/0451518659/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1253908790&sr=1-6

Offline NoRemorse

• BANNED
  • Prepper
« Reply #154 on: September 25, 2009, 02:09:22 PM »

The Camp of the Saints by Jean Raspail

The story begins in Bombay, India, where the Dutch government has announced a policy that Indian babies will be adopted and raised in the Netherlands. The policy is reversed when the Dutch consulate is inundated with parents eager to give up their infant children as it would be one less mouth to feed. An Indian "wise man" then rallies the masses to make a mass exodus to live in Europe. Most of the story centers on the French Riviera, where almost no one remains except for the military and a few civilians, including a retired professor who has been watching the huge fleet of run down freighters approaching the French coast. The story alternates between the French reaction to the mass immigration and the attitude of the immigrants. They have no desire to assimilate into French culture but want the plentiful food and water that are in short supply their native India. Near the end of the story the mayor of New York City is made to share Gracie Mansion with three families from Harlem, the Queen of England must agree to have her son marry a Pakistani woman, and only one drunken Soviet soldier stands in the way of thousands of Chinese people as they swarm into Siberia.

http://www.amazon.com/Camp-Saints-Jean-Raspail/dp/1881780074/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1253908662&sr=1-1

Offline NoRemorse

• BANNED
  • Prepper
« Reply #155 on: September 25, 2009, 08:44:47 PM »

DEADWATER by Anthony Giangregorio (7 Book Series)

When a chemical spill in a small town's water supply causes the town's population to become flesh eating zombies, Henry Watson finds himself thrown into a hell where the living dead walk and want nothing more than to feed on the living.

Now, Henry is trying to escape. With the military on one side and a horde of bloodthirsty zombies on the other, Henry must try to battle his way to freedom. With a small group of survivors to aid him, he will do his best to stay alive and escape the city codenamed: "Deadwater."

http://www.undeadpress.com/

zendog

« Reply #156 on: October 26, 2009, 06:20:19 PM »
Here is some books I have on my bookshelf.  I know some of these are mentioned, sorry.  No judging me. I take all these with a grain of salt.   :)

Shooting and Defense Tactics
--------------------------------------------------------
On Combat by Lt. Col. Dave Grossman
The AR-15 Volume 1&2 by Patrick Sweeney
Total Resistance by Major H. Von Dach
Boston's Gun Bible by Boston T Party
Understanding Firearm Ballistics by Robert A. Rinker
Special Forces Survival Guide by Chris McNab
SAS Survival Handbook (Revised) by John 'Lofty' Wiseman
Light Infantry Tactics by Christopher E. Larsen
The SAS Combat Handbook by Jon E. Lewis
Green Eyes & Black Rifles by Kyle E. Lewis
Long-Range Shooting by L.P.  Brezny

TEOTWAWKI Novels
Enemies Foreign and Domestic by Matthew Bracken
Domestic Enemies by Matthew Bracken
Foreign Enemies and Traitors by Matthew Bracken
Molôn Labé! by Boston T Party
Patriots, A Novel of the Coming Collapse by James Wesley, Rawles
Civil War II by Thomas W. Chittum
A Well Regulated Militia... by John J. Carpenter
Unintended Consequences by John Ross
Indian Creek Chronicles by Pete Fromm

Self-Reliance/Self-Sufficient Books
You and the Police by Boston T Party
One Nation Under Surveillance by Boston T Party
Starting A New Life in Rural America by Ragnar Benson
A Guide to Canning, Freezing, Curing & Smoking Meat, Fish & Game by Wilbur F Eastman Jr.
When All Hell Breaks Loose by Cody Lundin
How to Survive The End of the World as We Know It by James Wesley, Rawles
The Freedom Outlaws Handbook, 179 Things to do 'til the Revolution by Claire Wolfe
I am Not a Number, Freeing America from the ID State by Claire Wolfe
When Technology Fails by Matthew Stein
Just In Case, How to be Self-Sufficient When the Unexpected Happens by Kathy Harrison
Buid the Perfect SUrvival Kit by John D. McCann

Gardening and Horticulture
Fresh Food From Small Spaces by R. J. Ruppenthal
The Backyard Homestead by Carleen Madigan
All New Square Foot Gardening by Mel Bartholomew

Offline Winston

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #157 on: December 17, 2009, 08:43:16 AM »
SPOILERS listed at bottom of post.

Somebody mentioned the novels "Level 7", and "War Day".  Both are entertaining to those interested Post Apocalyptic (PA) fiction. 

Level 7 does not offer any "how-to" as far as survival goes.

War Day offers a little "how-to" about radiation and its effects. 

SPOILERS: 

Level 7 is about a group of people who enter a govt underground facility just before a nuclear war and how their society evolves over time.  This complex is very large and its inhabitants are identified by their job skill. (X-117 for example) There is no longer any need for names as we know them.  Any married person gets an "M" tacked onto the end of their name. 
They are in radio contact with other less secure facilities. Less secure in this case means buried less deep.  Eventually radiation seeps down into the other facilities and they stop responding.  Level 7 is the deepest, so they are the last to die.  Radiation eventually kills those in Level 7 also.
Only for the hardcore PA fiction fan.

War Day is a novel about a couple of reporters traveling the USA 5 years after a limited nuclear war.  The Russians used very powerful EMP weapons which stopped any subsequent launches by the USA.  Both superpowers only got off a small initial strike, and are now at best third-world level countries.  Published in 1984, the war occurs in 1988, and there trip takes place in 1993.  In large print in the old copy I have, the book proudly lists an endorsement by Senator Ted Kennedy.  Presumably because of the political-left hostility to the survivalist viewpoint, there is very little "how-to" in the book.  Large portions of the book list Govt documents about the effects of radiation, economic effects, etc. 

Online The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
« Reply #158 on: December 17, 2009, 03:05:18 PM »
SPOILERS listed at bottom of post.
War Day is a novel about a couple of reporters traveling the USA 5 years after a limited nuclear war.  The Russians used very powerful EMP weapons which stopped any subsequent launches by the USA.  Both superpowers only got off a small initial strike, and are now at best third-world level countries.  Published in 1984, the war occurs in 1988, and there trip takes place in 1993.  In large print in the old copy I have, the book proudly lists an endorsement by Senator Ted Kennedy.  Presumably because of the political-left hostility to the survivalist viewpoint, there is very little "how-to" in the book.  Large portions of the book list Govt documents about the effects of radiation, economic effects, etc. 

Who was the author?

The Professor

Offline Winston

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #159 on: December 17, 2009, 06:10:46 PM »

Who was the author?

The Professor

Whtiley Streiber and James Kunetka wrote War Day.

Offline Cool Blue

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #160 on: December 31, 2009, 07:08:57 PM »
I didn't see these two mentioned anywhere, forgive me it I missed them:

1) The Walking Dead by Robert Kirkman

A comic book series where the concept is a "never ending zombie movie".  Not so much a "how too survive" story but very interesting from a psychological perspective on how people would react and adapt to such an event.

AMC is also doing a TV series this summer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Walking_Dead

2) Lord of the Flies by William Goldring

One of my favourite books and I believe a realistic portrayal of what might happen when SHTF.  You can enjoy the story at surface value and you can also search for deeper meanings in the parables and allusions it presents.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lord_of_the_Flies

Offline Docwatmo

• May Ignite Spontaneously
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
  • The Prepper Rising from the Ashes
« Reply #161 on: March 19, 2010, 10:49:24 PM »
Man i'm glad this thread exists.  I used to be a voracious reader.  But kids and life kind of got in the way the last 10 years or so. (not a bad thing by any means :) ).  I just really miss horking down novel after novel in my spare time.

I cleaned out our tiny library in high school and got stuck on some really pulpy fiction because its what my father had at home.  I read most of the Mac Bolan stuff at 15 which probably twisted my mind in unfathomable ways but thats a story for a different day LOL.

I read 2 of the "The Survivalist" series but never found the rest.  And was reminded because I was in 1/2 priced books today and found two of the novels (#1 and #5).  I almost picked them up but didn't, now i'm sitting here regretting it.  (I'm a bit type A and would need all the books in the series and read them in order if I did it ::)). 

There was a book I read back then that I just can't remember the name of.  It was pulpy and part of a series but it had an interesting take on the SHTF scenario.  What I remember about the series was that the US had put up a laser defense satalite netowrk and it glitched and shot down every rocket style engine and (I am not sure if I remmber this part correctly) but shot digital type communications devices or broadcasters.  Kind of threw the whole world back into the early to mid 1900's.   It had some very interesting ideas about post event and I always thought it was interesting because it wasn't a complete collapse like so many end of the world books are.    I read 1 book somewhere in the middle of the series and always wanted to go back and read the entire series.  I just for the life of me can't remember it.

I've been digging on amazon and eBay and Google but not having any luck.   If anyone remembers this series, i'd really appreciate the authors name.

I am collecting ebooks right now for downtime.  Most of which are non-fiction, but I wan't to start adding fiction into the mix.

Thanks

Doc

Offline Mad_Man

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Calusa Commons
« Reply #162 on: March 20, 2010, 07:26:27 AM »
Man i'm glad this thread exists.  I used to be a voracious reader.  But kids and life kind of got in the way the last 10 years or so. (not a bad thing by any means :) ).  I just really miss horking down novel after novel in my spare time.

I find this is true too.  Lately, I've been thinking more and more about Lucifer's Hammer.  I need to find a copy and reread

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
« Reply #163 on: March 20, 2010, 08:25:14 AM »
A random thought: The Survival Podcast is not post-apocalyptic fiction.  It's pre-apocalyptic non-fiction.

Offline Nadir_E

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Win some, learn some.
« Reply #164 on: March 20, 2010, 09:49:31 AM »
For those who found Jack's recent show on the risks of pandemics interesting, I'd suggest reading "Another Place To Die" (already mentioned in previous posts).  It postulates a world-wide pandemic with the main characters in and around the Vancouver, BC area.  I found it a good read and well thought out.

-N

Offline Docwatmo

• May Ignite Spontaneously
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
  • The Prepper Rising from the Ashes
« Reply #165 on: March 20, 2010, 02:57:27 PM »
LOL Heavy-G, Great observation  ;D

Offline Patrolman

• Prepper
« Reply #166 on: March 21, 2010, 08:48:31 PM »
My reccomendation is "The Road", by Cormac McCarthy. Excellent read, especially for those of you who are fathers.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Road
I have et to see the movie/

I have "One Second After" , by William R. Forstchen lined up after "The Road."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Second_After
This book is currently being developed into a movie.

Offline The Snow Ant

• Prepper
« Reply #167 on: March 24, 2010, 05:44:18 PM »
I have just finished buying a large part of the deathlands series by James Axler
I am also collecting the ashes series by William Johnstone and the Endworld series by David Robbins.
All are post apocalyptic books. I really enjoy the political views in the Ashes series

Offline helenrt

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #168 on: April 24, 2010, 02:45:42 PM »
Would anyone know where to get a complete copy of Pax Americana? I have up to chapter 60, but I think it goes to 84 or 85.

Offline otowner98

• Senior Survivalist
  • Tu ne cede malis
« Reply #169 on: April 30, 2010, 10:35:28 PM »
Just finished "A Canticle for Leibowitz", and I highly recommend it.  Odd ending, but great overall. 

Offline Nadir_E

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Win some, learn some.
« Reply #170 on: May 01, 2010, 11:20:21 AM »
Just finished Steven King's "Under the Dome" and as stated earlier, the "event" isn't terribly helpful in terms of thinking through one's prep's, but the author's character development and how those characters behave when stressed is useful.  I couldn't help but think in several sections, "Well now, you'd be a WHOLE lot better off right now if you'd stored up X, Y or Z, wouldn't you?"  So, an entertaining read, but not as focused as more traditional SHTF novels.

Offline The Wilderness

• The Patriarch of Lunatics
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
    • The Umbafa Chronicles
« Reply #171 on: May 01, 2010, 02:00:20 PM »
Just finished Steven King's "Under the Dome" and as stated earlier, the "event" isn't terribly helpful in terms of thinking through one's prep's, but the author's character development and how those characters behave when stressed is useful.  I couldn't help but think in several sections, "Well now, you'd be a WHOLE lot better off right now if you'd stored up X, Y or Z, wouldn't you?"  So, an entertaining read, but not as focused as more traditional SHTF novels.

Good observation.

A lot of these SHTF books don't focus on getting ready.

Take what you can from these books, whatever gets you thinking. If you get one good idea, and implement it then you are that much further ahead.

TW

Offline helenrt

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #172 on: May 07, 2010, 05:25:55 PM »
Anyone know if Thomas Sherry ever came out with a sequel to Deep Winter and Shatter?

Offline Nadir_E

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Win some, learn some.
« Reply #173 on: May 07, 2010, 05:48:23 PM »
Haven't heard and can't find much on google (unfortunately there's a lot of clutter because of another author named Sherry Thomas).   

I've read Deep Winter and found it "OK" - not great, but not horrible (too much just falls into place for the protagonist, IMO).  Is Shatter worth buying at $35?

-N

Offline hydroguy

• Prepper
« Reply #174 on: May 07, 2010, 05:58:09 PM »
Hey its called Remnant, you can read it o n his blog. He is up to chapter 46. http://deepwinterstory.blogspot.com. Check it out, only I cant stand waiting for him to post the next chapter. Hope this helps.

Offline helenrt

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #175 on: May 08, 2010, 03:33:39 PM »
Hey its called Remnant, you can read it o n his blog. He is up to chapter 46. http://deepwinterstory.blogspot.com. Check it out, only I cant stand waiting for him to post the next chapter. Hope this helps.

When you go on his blog if you email him he will email you the rest of the book.

Offline hydroguy

• Prepper
« Reply #176 on: May 08, 2010, 09:36:29 PM »
Thanks will do that ;D

Offline helenrt

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #177 on: June 13, 2010, 05:45:22 PM »
Anyone know where I could get a complete copy of "Chaparral Challenge " by Old Bear? I was reading it and all of a sudden it said to be continued. any help would be appreciated.

Offline Trace B

• Prepper
  • cave dweller
« Reply #178 on: September 20, 2010, 02:10:22 AM »
Didn't see this one listed yet, it's a long one with lots of words and stuff. Plus has Women, Nuclear missles, shipboard gardens and goats.
"The Last Ship" by William Brinkley.

It's kind of the same storyline as Nevil Shute's "On the Beach" but on board of a guided missle destroyer.

Offline tombo5671

• Prepper
« Reply #179 on: September 20, 2010, 08:21:36 AM »
How about "The Road"  By Cormac Mcarthy

That, is a PAW book if I ever read one. 

MUCH better than the movie!!

A MUST read.