Author Topic: The Survivalist Series by A. American  (Read 10063 times)

Offline captcrunch227

• Prepper
  • A gun addicted Texan
The Survivalist Series by A. American
« on: March 25, 2015, 01:12:12 AM »
I'm a HUGE and avid reader, I like reading a good book more than watching t.v.. I recently discovered the Survivalist Series written by A. American. Holy Smokes what a book series. This will be my third fiction survival series I've read and this is so far my favorite.

Essentially it's an EMP type event. The book series starts with the main character driving home when his car (and every other car on the road for that matter) dies 100+ miles from home. And his aim is, well, to get home and survive.  Overall the characters are great, the story is action packed and phenomenal, and this series is just down right hilarious. Some of the interactions between the main character and others in the book will literally make you laugh out loud several times per book. I can't recommend this series enough. It has a fine balance of the seriousness of an EMP type scenario, mixed with humor to really make this series a fun read.  The plot as I said is action packed, never a dull moment, and is a total roller coaster with plot twists you never saw coming. It does a fine job too of keeping the plot believable for the most part.

The author just published book 5 and is contracted to write at least 3 more books (if not more). The books are very well written also. I got book one for Christmas, I had finished book four a month later, that's how much I enjoyed these.

Offline hackmeister

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Beer, linux and prepping!
Re: The Survivalist Series by A. American
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 05:49:31 AM »
This series is being discussed in this thread:
http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=41657.0

Offline captcrunch227

• Prepper
  • A gun addicted Texan
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 09:29:49 AM »
My apologies, I did not know we were limited to just one thread per book. If a mod could move this for me then I'd be grateful.

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 10:10:02 AM »
The other thread has turned into a mixed discussion of a few different works.

I see nothing wrong with having a discussion of this specific series here.

Offline Zef_66

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2015, 10:13:27 AM »
The author just published book 5 and is contracted to write at least 3 more books (if not more). The books are very well written also. I got book one for Christmas, I had finished book four a month later, that's how much I enjoyed these.

Definitely good books. I listened to them all on audiobooks. I've really enjoyed them and can't wait for the other ones to come out. But the author is going to self-publish the rest of the books. He is no longer under contract.

Also, Jack interview the author twice:

http://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com/a-american-on-going-home
http://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com/angery-american

Offline bdhutier

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Defensor libertas
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2015, 03:49:37 AM »
Careful you don't get Kindle, 'cause there's a lot of other good series out there too!  I usually burn a book in a couple days on my phone.

I've really enjoyed everything Joe Nobody's put out as well. Worth every penny in my mind!

Offline captcrunch227

• Prepper
  • A gun addicted Texan
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2015, 01:58:12 PM »
Definitely good books. I listened to them all on audiobooks. I've really enjoyed them and can't wait for the other ones to come out. But the author is going to self-publish the rest of the books. He is no longer under contract.

Also, Jack interview the author twice:

http://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com/a-american-on-going-home
http://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com/angery-american

You're totally right! I missed that update. Well hopefully that means like he said he'll have the next 3 books out this year!

Offline cannonball

• Fledgling Prepper
  • Working towards being an ant
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2015, 09:37:19 PM »
I grew up in FL and had fun following the story along in Google Earth and knowing a lot of the places mentioned in the books

Offline captcrunch227

• Prepper
  • A gun addicted Texan
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2015, 10:32:31 PM »
Careful you don't get Kindle, 'cause there's a lot of other good series out there too!  I usually burn a book in a couple days on my phone.

I've really enjoyed everything Joe Nobody's put out as well. Worth every penny in my mind!

I'll have to check out Joe Nobody. He's been on my short list, just never gotten around to getting his books yet.

Offline reefmarker

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2015, 03:01:42 PM »
Joe Nobody's books are wonderful.

Offline RuggedCyclist

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Capitalist hippie
    • Boulder Stonecraft
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2015, 08:43:30 PM »
I just finished reading A. American's books. Awesome.

One question I have for others who have read it: whenever they were doing any type of project, there was no fighting. There was "hmm we should do this, ok here's how we should do it" "wait here's a better idea" "ok let's do that!" *procedes to finish project with minimal hiccups, and simply calmly working around the hiccups in a logical manner when the do occur* To me that seems unrealistically emotionally mature of everybody. With the people I'm around, any suggestion to do things better is taken as a personal attack, hiccups are met with an hour of cussing and blaming before any logical thought occurs- if any occurs, and everyone is fueled by ego to do things their way.

Anybody else have this problem? Is it normal to simply do what needs to be done and agree on the best way or is normal for life to he a constant clusterfuck argument crisis OH NO like on the logging or gold mining reality shows on the Discovery Channel?

Offline jerseyboy

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Garden State Prepper
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2015, 09:22:51 PM »

With the people I'm around, any suggestion to do things better is taken as a personal attack, hiccups are met with an hour of cussing and blaming before any logical thought occurs- if any occurs, and everyone is fueled by ego to do things their way.

You don't live in new Jersey do you? Ha ha

I just finished all of the books in audio format. Great group of books. Never knew a pig's diet was so diverse ...

Jerseyboy

Offline Zef_66

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2015, 10:37:52 AM »
With the people I'm around, any suggestion to do things better is taken as a personal attack, hiccups are met with an hour of cussing and blaming before any logical thought occurs- if any occurs, and everyone is fueled by ego to do things their way.

Anybody else have this problem? Is it normal to simply do what needs to be done and agree on the best way or is normal for life to he a constant clusterfuck argument crisis OH NO like on the logging or gold mining reality shows on the Discovery Channel?

I think you just need to surround yourself with different people. With the people in my life, a suggestion to do something, or to change the way something is done is met with a discussion. Usually it is sane, rational, and logical. The route we go is the best way forward as agreed upon by the majority. But in the end, no feelings are usually hurt.

Offline RuggedCyclist

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Capitalist hippie
    • Boulder Stonecraft
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2015, 03:21:36 AM »
Anybody else read the 6th book that just came out? A. American is a stupidly good author. I could not put it down.

I think you just need to surround yourself with different people. With the people in my life, a suggestion to do something, or to change the way something is done is met with a discussion. Usually it is sane, rational, and logical. The route we go is the best way forward as agreed upon by the majority. But in the end, no feelings are usually hurt.

I think you're definitely right in me needing to surround myself with better people, though I've found that I can be a positive influence if I REALLY want to.

Offline Biscuits and Gravy

• Prepper
    • Prepper Book Club
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2015, 07:21:59 AM »
It is definitively one of the better "Ive got a pack and I am walking home" prepper fiction books. I thought it has been a good series apart from the letdown that was the ending of Resurrecting Home.  He definitely has written some moments in his books that stand out from the regular genre.

Offline hackmeister

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Beer, linux and prepping!

Offline Whisky Mike

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2016, 08:32:11 PM »
I'm currently reading/ listening to the series after going through the 299 days series. And have loved every bit of the books except for the batman belt back pack he had in the first book. It's one thing g to have a BOB but this guy had a bass pro shop in his duffle.

Offline sexylogbldr

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2016, 08:15:17 AM »
He has put some other works out there; some newer items on the series, plus some other fiction books.  He also has some decent training non-fiction books; we use these and adapt for our area and applications. Prepper Press does offer the entire series of fiction and non fiction at a discount for home schoolers or groups.

Offline SYCABO

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2016, 11:09:29 AM »
I'm currently reading/ listening to the series after going through the 299 days series. And have loved every bit of the books except for the batman belt back pack he had in the first book. It's one thing g to have a BOB but this guy had a bass pro shop in his duffle.

I highly recommend that you listen to the interviews that Jack had with the author.  The "batman belt back pack" )(lol, good description) is real.  The author's idea for the series, and the pack, are biographical, just like Glen Tate's idea for the 299 Days books.  The author's job was exactly the same, hundreds of mile commuting to jobs several hour's drive away, and being a prepper, he kept a Get Home Bag that was stocked in exactly the same way as the bag in the book.

And maybe I haven't looked close enough at the optics, but I've never seen NVGs for sale at Bass Pro Shop. lol  ;D

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2016, 12:28:12 PM »

And maybe I haven't looked close enough at the optics, but I've never seen NVGs for sale at Bass Pro Shop. lol  ;D
Have you tried the googles?

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Navigation?storeId=10151&catalogId=10051&langId=-1&searchTerm=night+vision

I am not seeing actually military NVGs (PVS-5, 14, etc) but I am seeing a lot of off brands, thermals, etc.

Offline SYCABO

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2016, 08:26:32 PM »
Have you tried the googles?

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Navigation?storeId=10151&catalogId=10051&langId=-1&searchTerm=night+vision

I am not seeing actually military NVGs (PVS-5, 14, etc) but I am seeing a lot of off brands, thermals, etc.

I see.  I dont recall what unit Morgan uses, but it was probably not pvs-14s or gen3 based on the admiration for Mike and crew's gear.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2016, 05:00:07 PM »
I'm a HUGE and avid reader, I like reading a good book more than watching t.v.. I recently discovered the Survivalist Series written by A. American. Holy Smokes what a book series. This will be my third fiction survival series I've read and this is so far my favorite.

Essentially it's an EMP type event. The book series starts with the main character driving home when his car (and every other car on the road for that matter) dies 100+ miles from home. And his aim is, well, to get home and survive.  Overall the characters are great, the story is action packed and phenomenal, and this series is just down right hilarious. Some of the interactions between the main character and others in the book will literally make you laugh out loud several times per book. I can't recommend this series enough. It has a fine balance of the seriousness of an EMP type scenario, mixed with humor to really make this series a fun read.  The plot as I said is action packed, never a dull moment, and is a total roller coaster with plot twists you never saw coming. It does a fine job too of keeping the plot believable for the most part.

I've got/read that first book, and would like to have all of the others.
Is there a list somewhere so I can get them and know which ones were written in order?
That way I could maybe get 1 or 2 at a time?