Author Topic: RadioShack puts customer personal data up for sale in bankruptcy auction  (Read 3106 times)

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
And you thought you were safe with The Shack,but NO as RadioShack puts customer personal data up for sale in bankruptcy auction.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2901028/radioshack-puts-customers-personal-data-up-for-sale-in-bankruptcy-auction.html#tk.nl_pcwbest

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
Blargh!  Like rust, scum never sleeps.

On one hand, this is valuable customer data and a key asset of the business, were RS to continue on as a business.  On the other, to sell off your customer list to the highest bidder is akin selling your friends' emails to a spammer.

I know, I know, this is probably happening automatically as part of the bankruptcy proceedings.  Still, as I said, scum never sleeps.

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
I'll never shop there again!

On a serious side, RS never had the electrical components I was looking for (lights, small machines). I did way better at a couple of surplus/freight places.

That said, it's a pretty shitty thing to do to loyal customers. But who knows? Maybe the names go by market segment and we'll all find new suppliers. A maker can dream...

Offline Theswerd

• Repeat after me...
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
I'll never shop there again!

Way to take a stand!

Offline danimal

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
More than likely it is directed by the bankruptcy. Still really crappy. That is why I NEVER give my phone number or address. I actively resist places that try, disrupting the line I am in and making a legitimate point that they don't NEED it to take my cash, make change and put my purchase in a bag. Usually, the cashier isn't interested in dealing with the event. If they do insist, I make it obvious I am giving them a bogus address and phone number. Some places it can't be helped, they get it off the credit card slip but I make it clear I do not condone the sale of my info when I sign up, for whatever that is worth. But I can't go without the point being made. To many just blindly hand over their info. Crazy.