Author Topic: PorcupineKate's 2014 Garden  (Read 32502 times)

Offline PorcupineKate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Head Weed Puller
Re: PorcupineKate's 2014 Garden
« Reply #60 on: July 10, 2014, 06:39:44 AM »
Great job, thats a monumental effort there. Its great to see larger scale projects being undertaken.

How did you guys handle the grade while making your swales? Did the machine have a tilt bucket or was there a lot of hand work to level the bottom of the swale?

There was a bunch of hand work done and it is not perfect. Having a dozen friends or so help us was huge.  We couldn't have done it in a weekend with out them. It does work so I am not too worried about it being a tiny bit lumpy.  We also had a friend run the excavator who had quite a bit of experience with an excavator.  He saved us a lot of time and work.

Offline PorcupineKate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Head Weed Puller
« Reply #61 on: July 10, 2014, 06:47:50 AM »
Chickens!   

My husband working on building the chicken tractor.  We are still making minor modifications to it.

In the background is the big coop.

We have 5 hens in the tractor and the other 11 in the coop.  The tractor is slowly moving across the front yard and the big coop has an electric poultry fence that will be moved around the coop. 

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #62 on: July 10, 2014, 08:28:20 AM »
Nice looking girls and coop/tractors.

Cedar

Offline jamendjr

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #63 on: July 10, 2014, 08:44:13 AM »
I went back and saw that you did leave it lumpy, thats good to know.

How are the spillways holding up? Have you had any rains that filled and went over the spillway yet?

Thats a nice looking tractor to!

Its great to see a thread detailing a new install like this.

Offline PorcupineKate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Head Weed Puller
« Reply #64 on: July 10, 2014, 09:18:42 AM »
I went back and saw that you did leave it lumpy, thats good to know.

How are the spillways holding up? Have you had any rains that filled and went over the spillway yet?

Thats a nice looking tractor to!

Its great to see a thread detailing a new install like this.

Thanks.  I still have a ton of work to do.  Deer are my latest problem.  They keep eating the flowers off of my tomato plants.  We are putting netting up but it is frustrating.  They ate the leaves on the fruit trees but that has stopped once I sprayed them with a garlic, rotten egg, and soap deer repellent.

I need to finish the spillways but we haven't needed them. 
We get over 40 inches a rain a year here in NH.  We have gotten just under 3 inches of rain in the last 2 weeks.   Our soil drains really well and we haven't had more than an inch of water in any of the swales while it is raining.  It seeps in a soon as the rain stops.  The pond isn't holding water but it is starting to silt up and had more water the day after getting 2 inches of rain in 2 days, than it did the day of the storm which is a good sign the swales are working.   I also haven't needed to water any of the garden other than planting stuff in the garden.

Offline jamendjr

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #65 on: July 10, 2014, 06:58:11 PM »
Interesting, how did you determine the swale width? I am guessing the depth is controlled by the end of the swale? Wherever it reaches the original grade is kind of a default spillway?

Is there any concern that during an extreme raine event that the swales would fill and begin to put pressure  on the berms?

Looking forward to progress pictures as it matures.

Offline PorcupineKate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Head Weed Puller
« Reply #66 on: July 10, 2014, 08:17:16 PM »
To be honest my husband figured out the swale width.  The swale depth is a little over a foot deep and about 4 feet wide and 224 feet long. The other 2 swales are 55 feet long and are a little shallower and about 3 feet wide. I do have a default spill way on each of the swale.  I just haven't spent the time to make them pretty.  I am not worried about pressure on the berm.  Our soil is very sandy and drains very well.  I have yet to see the large swale have any standing water in it even in when we had heavy thunderstorms. It has been a little disappointing that I don't have any good photos of a full swale.   

I won't know how well it does with lots water till next spring when mud season when all the snow melts and we get our seasonal spring.  I have planted trees and cover crops including radish so I am not worried about erosion.

Offline jamendjr

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #67 on: July 10, 2014, 08:26:42 PM »
Cool!

Looking forward to seeing it all progress.

I havent finished my design yet so no swales, ponds, etc. Just a kitchen garden. You have made a lot of progress cantwait to see more. Thanks!

Offline PorcupineKate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Head Weed Puller
« Reply #68 on: July 15, 2014, 07:02:03 PM »
We got our first egg!

I also harvested the first handful of Sungold cherry tomatoes despite the deer valiant effort to keep my tomato plants 11" tall. 

Offline PorcupineKate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Head Weed Puller
« Reply #69 on: August 02, 2014, 02:58:30 PM »
I have been very busy and need to take updated photos of the garden.  I did just harvest 5 gallons of purple green beans today after gathering 3 gallons earlier this week. 

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #70 on: August 17, 2014, 03:37:44 PM »

Offline PorcupineKate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Head Weed Puller
« Reply #71 on: August 18, 2014, 11:48:03 AM »
I am now getting about a dozen eggs a day.  I have way more green beans and zucchini than I can eat.  ;D

The tomatoes are starting to ripen but I need to pull some of the plants due to blight.  Hopefully it won't spread too far.

Offline PorcupineKate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Head Weed Puller
« Reply #72 on: August 20, 2014, 06:05:47 AM »
I finally got a round to taking some photos.   The garden is now 3 months old and really starting to produce.   

This is our middle swale that catches most of the rain from the driveway.  This photo is right after we got 4 inches of rain. 

Here is the swale from the other side without any water in it. 

More flowers in the big swale

This is what my kitchen looks like most evenings. 

This is where the cold frames will be going next spring.  We had a freezer delivered and I got all of the delivery guys empty boxes.

I am loving all the flowers this year.

The deer and bees are enjoying it too.

Elderberry

The herb bed

Perpetuo Basil, Pineapple Sage and Lemon Grass

Nasturtium and Comfrey

Offline PorcupineKate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Head Weed Puller
« Reply #73 on: August 20, 2014, 06:32:57 AM »
Now for the food.

This is Purple Peacock Sprouting Broccoli.  Cedar suggest I try sprouting broccoli and I am now in love with this variety. 

My Sungold, Glacier, Subartic, Fargo Yellow Pear tomatoes are all producing but I can't wait till my Blue Berry and Blue Beauty tomatoes start producing.

The tomatoes have gotten a late start because they were all deer pruned in the end of June.  I didn't bother staking them since they are all short plants with side shoots ever where thanks to the deer. 

I now know I can plant cucumbers as late as June 20th and I will still get cucumbers.

zucchini and Dragon Beans

I doubt I will get any sweet potatoes since they were planted a month late and we have had a cool summer.

Rattlesnake Pole Beans  These are my favorite pole bean.

This is my best year for bell peppers.

We have been making bacon wrapped jalapeno poppers with these. 

Fall greens the deer haven't eaten.

I have ignored my cabbage but it seems to be doing well.

My Purple Tomatillos with yellow wax beans. 

My volunteer butternut squash in the compost pile.

The large swale is covered in Diakon Radish and buckwheat going to seed.  I plan on saving this seed for sprouting over the winter. 

The chickens keep this plant pest free.   

Free ranging for dinner

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #74 on: August 20, 2014, 08:04:19 AM »
amazing first year garden !

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #75 on: August 25, 2014, 05:36:17 AM »
Indeed. Great job!

Offline PorcupineKate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Head Weed Puller
« Reply #76 on: September 24, 2014, 02:06:00 PM »
Fall has arrived.   The garden is winding down.  I documented the first frost early in the morning when taking care of the chickens.

The frost did not damage the garden equally.  It is interesting to see how the cold air flowed through the garden.  Here are photos of the flow of the frost.  I did not cover or protect the beds.

This is the western side of the yard on the upper side of the hill.  The long grass at the edge of the swale caught and pooled the frost.  Inside the swale there was no frost.   

This is the other side of the swale which had some frost.  but the tomatoes and zucchinis survived without any protection. 

This is next to the driveway and has frost on the grass but not the swale with the flowers in the background. 

This patch of grass is separated by the grass in the photo above by a sidewalk.  There was no frost on the bed between the sidewalk and the house.   This will be my early spring garden next year.   

Here is another shot of the frosty grass and the flower bed without the  frost.   I was standing on the sidewalk when I took this photo.

This weedy patch is slowly getting cleaned up by the chickens.   It is also next to the house and free of frost. 

This is one of my huglebeds.  The tomatoes have blight but not frost.  I need to seriously work on my soil.

More frost on the grass but not on the raised beds. 

This is my access strip between the road and my garden.   It is hard to see in this photo but you can almost see how the cold air flowed down the hill.

Eggplant, tomatillos, and beans with no frost.  The eggplant are next to the access strip that has all that frost.  The beans are almost finished going to seed and the tomatoes on the left are my earliest tomatoes and they were finished for about a week before I took these photos.

Here is my powdery mildew damaged zucchini and sweet potatoes in the back.  I am so glad that frost hadn't hit the sweet potatoes. 

The low weedy bed on the left is the one bed that had some frost on one corner of the bed. 

Here is another shot of the annual garden beds.  There happy healthy pepper plants in the middle of the spent tomato plants. 

Offline jamendjr

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #77 on: October 22, 2014, 10:44:19 AM »
Looks great, very successful!

Also, great job posting all those pictures.

Offline PorcupineKate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Head Weed Puller
« Reply #78 on: October 22, 2014, 11:12:55 AM »
Thank you.

I am working on planting bulbs and preparing the garden for winter.  I am hoping to be ready for winter by the beginning of November.

Offline jamendjr

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #79 on: May 17, 2015, 08:57:22 PM »
How are things coming along this year? Looking forward to seeing your project's progress.

Offline Marinesg1012

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #80 on: May 17, 2015, 09:38:13 PM »
How are things coming along this year? Looking forward to seeing your project's progress.
Me too

Offline PorcupineKate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Head Weed Puller
« Reply #81 on: May 20, 2015, 07:45:59 PM »
I was just mentioning to my husband that I need to update TSP on the garden.  We have been busy so I will start teh 2015 thread.