Author Topic: Homeland security investigating citywide power surge that knocked out power  (Read 5297 times)

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
This might not be an emergency, but it is pretty widespread apparently.

D.C. POWER OUTAGE
- The Dept of Energy has lost power.
- White House
- State Dept
- Some 2,400 customers affected

15 minutes ago:
-  Homeland security investigating citywide power surge that knocked out power
- Power outage reported at several buildings in DC, including White House and State Dept.
- Back on now

Cedar

nkawtg

That would be from one too many coal fired plants that don't have replacements being taken off line.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
8 minutes ago:
- Explosion at a Maryland power facility is believed to have caused power surge.

Cedar

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
13 minutes ago:
- White House on lockdown. Unknown if related to the massive power outage.

Cedar

Offline JerseyVince

• Dedicated Contributor
Brian Williams and Tom Edison are on it, be back on in a jiffy

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
So that's what that switch in my closet does......

Offline David in MN

• Dedicated Contributor

D.C. POWER OUTAGE
- The Dept of Energy has lost power.
Cedar

Oh, you can't make that stuff up.

nkawtg

DOH! I just noticed that... :rofl:

Offline Frugal Upstate

• Dedicated Contributor
  • aka Jenn Fowler and Jenn @ Frugal Upstate ;)
    • Frugal Upstate
And the official answer is that there was no foul play. . .

Isn't that what they said about that power substation that they admitted a year later was shot up by persons unknown in a coordinated attack.

Offline TexasGirl

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Simple country farm girl. Prepper? What's that?
And the official answer is that there was no foul play. . .

Isn't that what they said about that power substation that they admitted a year later was shot up by persons unknown in a coordinated attack.

Exactly.  And Homeland Security is investigating?  Geez, give me a break.   How about letting somebody that actually knows something about the power industry to make a determination.

I can just picture these chubby, mall-cop wannabee's, holding their belts up running to get in the car.  "We got a real one...."

Probably some squirrel that made a wrong turn on the transformer fence.

~TG

Offline keebler

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
I guess they will Blame "Bush".?

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
Probably some squirrel that made a wrong turn on the transformer fence.

My ex-stepkids kept wanting to climb a particular cherry tree which has a power line running through it, and I kept telling them no. That is was dangerous. Finally one day months later, we hear a huge BANG.. and we went out to see what it was after the power went out in the house. A squirrel was in the classic upside down, all 4 of it's feet in the air, blackened and still smoking.. and I decided not to let a teaching opportunity go by, and I said, "See.. this is what I kept saying would happen to you if you climbed that cherry tree under the power line, still want to climb this tree?"... They ever tried that tree again.

I am grateful to that dead smoking blackened squirrel. Which by-the-way, was originally grey furred.

Cedar

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
Power went out at 12:45. A few minutes later the generators kicked on, and they ran for about 40 minutes. For the most part everything is mostly back to normal.

PepCo is the power company. Officials are still trying to figure out what happened. So it was no PepCo who came up with it being 'non terrorist' related. The one which happened a year ago I would not consider 'terrorist', I really think the word is WAY overused.

Law enforcement sources told CBS News Correspondent Jeff Pegues there was a "dip and surge in power to a transfer line in Southern Maryland which was owned by Pepco," but not an explosion. All signs at the moment suggest the dip and surge was not terrorism related, Pegues reports. At least 9,400 customers in Washington and suburban Maryland were in the dark, according to two power companies Pepco and Southern Maryland Electric Cooperative.

The power went off to:
White House
Department of Energy
State Department
University of Maryland - University of Maryland officials say their entire campus was affected.
University of Maryland President Wallace Loh tweeted that campus would close at 2 p.m. due to the outage.
George Washington University
Smithsonians - some were evacuated
Television stations
DC Landmarks
2,000-some homes.

Spot power outages remain in Maryland, though less than 200 total statewide as of 3pm

University of Maryland students take an exam by Iphone flashlight

In case you wanted to see what a museum looks like when there's a power outage.

I presume this is the subway in DC?

13 major places still down? They say they estimate power back on at 1 pm tomorrow

Cedar

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
...In case you wanted to see what a museum looks like when there's a power outage...

Offline keebler

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
Washington keeps us in the DARK...turn about is Fair Play.

Offline TiredOldGrunt

• Senior Survivalist
  • Tabbed: "Regular Guy"
Massive DC Power Outage??

But.. but... I thought we ran on AC?!?!?

Anywho... yeah, we need DHS in there superhero capes all over this one, should make everyone feel at ease.

Any large g0v agency ends up being a laughing stock in the face of need and danger.  How many daze did it take for FEMA to show up in LA??

TOG

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
So that's what that switch in my closet does......
+1 for that.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...

That too TexDaddy.. incidentally one of my very best friends was in the first of the NaTM movies. Weirdly he called on the phone when I was watching a movie, he asked which one and I told him the movie I was watching and he says, "I am in that one".. and then he says he is a viking playing soccer. And I am thinking WTH? Sure enough he is. A bit of trivia.. they had beads at the end of his long hair, and the extras prevailed on higher authority to take them out, as every time he twirled while playing soccer he was hitting the extras with those beads REALLY hard and injuring them.

If you want to see him, it is towards the end of the movie, when they are all partying.. look in the distance, he is a miniature.. long red hair in the far left.

Cedar