Author Topic: 300 Watt pure sine wave inverter recommendation?  (Read 5424 times)

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
300 Watt pure sine wave inverter recommendation?
« on: April 05, 2015, 09:33:23 AM »
Yeah yeah, I've listened to Steven Harris and ALL HAIL THE MODIFIED SINE WAVE.  But I've got one unique power requirement in my house:
To have some capacity to play a CD is one big reason I've gone into solar back-up power.  Which reminds me, I really do need to pop for a decent 200w pure sine wave inverter, because my stereo's integrated amp frikkin' hates modified sine waves.  It actually makes an audible buzz, not through the speakers, but straight from the power supply's toroid transformer.  Can't be good for it.

So... other than randomly surfing on Amazon, which I've already done, anybody have any recommendations for a suitable pure sine wave inverter?  Maybe from an MSB company?  Doesn't have to be very big, 300w ought to do it.  FWIW, the power input specifies 120V & 2A, i.e. 240W, but usually it's not drawing anywhere near this power.  Might want to run the CD player off the same inverter too, eliminate some ground loops and maybe some buzz, so a few extra watts would be good.  I can't see this taking more than 500w, ever.  So... any recommendations?

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
Re: 300 Watt pure sine wave inverter recommendation?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2015, 11:20:57 AM »
I have used one of these and have been happy with it. Though it will run 200 watts continuous OK ,you get pretty hot at that level. I think it is good for your application.

http://www.amazon.com/MicroSolar-300W-Peak-Inverter-Wires/dp/B00F4TBW6S/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1428254013&sr=1-2&keywords=sinewave+inverter

Offline Roknrandy

• He That Rocks:Viewer Discretion is Advised
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Master Spammer Obliterator
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2015, 11:52:40 AM »

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 05:58:11 AM »
Thanks Carl, Randy.  Will finalize this purchase soon.

Offline TiredOldGrunt

• Senior Survivalist
  • Tabbed: "Regular Guy"
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2015, 04:37:02 PM »
Pure Sinewave is not to be confused with True Sinewave...  Only your power company can provide TRUE sinewave.

Inverters at best are still stepped sinewave...   however the more expensive ones come closer to true sinewave with a higher resolution of the steps in the sine, its still not TRUE.

That is all...
TOG

Offline Mastoo

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2015, 05:47:01 PM »
I ran into a couple things didn't like the modified sine waves so I bought:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002RWKIL0/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Power Bright APS600-12 Pure Sine Power Inverter 600 Watt continuous / 1000 watt Peak
It works nicely

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2015, 05:52:44 PM »

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002RWKIL0/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Power Bright APS600-12 Pure Sine Power Inverter 600 Watt continuous / 1000 watt Peak
It works nicely

Some things will only work with sinewave,you picked a good inverter.

Offline TiredOldGrunt

• Senior Survivalist
  • Tabbed: "Regular Guy"
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2015, 04:31:51 PM »

It works nicely

Wow!  Thats a good price for a very nice unit!  Thanks for posting!1

TOG

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2015, 05:30:00 PM »
After spending the weekend hemming and hawing, went with the one Carl suggested, http://www.amazon.com/MicroSolar-300W-Peak-Inverter-Wires/dp/B00F4TBW6S/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1428254013&sr=1-2&keywords=sinewave+inverter  Looked at the Power Bright, but at 2x the money, 2x the capacity I need that pushed it out of the park.  Gave serious consideration to a Wagan: http://www.amazon.com/Wagan-EL2601-Elite-400W-Inverter/dp/B007Y4BL1C/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1428967696&sr=1-4&keywords=wagan+inverter but it was out of stock.

Realistically, I've got all the other bases covered with the modified sine wave inverters, 4 of them and counting.  Still, I will have a fun evening testing out various things around the house: fans, refrigerator, CFLs, and of course the stereo.  Will report back any noteworthy findings.  Thanks all for the advice.

Offline chrisdfw

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2015, 07:16:55 PM »
There are certainly some things that work only on a pure sinewave, but in my case, I have found it easier to replace those things than get a bunch of pure sinewave inverters for all my vehicles. But your mileage may vary.

The only things I had trouble with were battery chargers, a stereo, and one old CRT monitor (which needed to go anyway, as the power requirements are incompatible with long run battery power through an inverter anyway)

That said, I run a sine wave inverter / charger in my RV as the price was right.

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2015, 06:35:49 AM »
Realistically, I've got all the other bases covered with the modified sine wave inverters, 4 of them and counting.  Still, I will have a fun evening testing out various things around the house: fans, refrigerator, CFLs, and of course the stereo.  Will report back any noteworthy findings.  Thanks all for the advice.
Review up!  http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=54398.0
Bottom line is it works, but it sprays out so much RFI that I'll have to drastically limit its use.