Author Topic: Anyone sell on etsy?  (Read 2030 times)

Offline oktheniknow

• Survivalist Mentor
Anyone sell on etsy?
« on: May 07, 2015, 10:15:05 AM »
Have noticed the increasing popularity of etsy in selling homemade items as well as vintage items where ebay used to be the place for. As ebay is not what it used to be, am looking to use etsy for selling items there.

Offline Prodigy

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Better to die on your feet than live on your knees
Re: Anyone sell on etsy?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2015, 11:29:39 AM »
Etsy is pretty much the new ebay, just with a little different list of sellers.  It's an ok place, but they take a pretty big cut nowadays.  It's good for getting an immediate audience, but hard to stand out.

Offline oktheniknow

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2015, 01:21:53 PM »
Have a lot of old magazines/books want to sell on there.
Wife is very talented artist who will be selling stuff she sews or paints.

Offline strangetanks

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2015, 01:55:54 PM »
I sold a lot of stuff on Etsy at one point.

I kind of lost interest and motivation, and it also seemed like as the site grew it became more of a marketplace for non-handcrafted items.  It also felt like it became harder for buyers to find me, I'm not really into running around on social media sites all day promoting myself.

The nice part was the low fees and the fact that you could list things for a long time.  You really have to be pretty good at the listing thing though.  If you look at most of the sellers they are pretty pro anymore, super nice photos and excellent descriptions.

Overall it was a good experience.  Just moved on to other hobbies now.

Offline JLMissouri

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2015, 04:35:27 PM »
I don't know how the fees compare but Ebay offers a much larger marketplace. Every once in awhile Ebay being Ebay they do something stupid that makes me want to leave, but for what they offer I don't think there fee is too bad.

Offline oktheniknow

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2015, 06:37:42 PM »
Ebay is fine for selling very rare one-of-a-kind stuff but from my experience using it from the late '90s, is now largely a waste of time when you get maybe 5 people that see your auction. Don't use it enough now to justify a store.

Offline JLMissouri

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2015, 09:03:21 AM »
Ebay is fine for selling very rare one-of-a-kind stuff but from my experience using it from the late '90s, is now largely a waste of time when you get maybe 5 people that see your auction. Don't use it enough now to justify a store.

I think Ebay is a pretty fair marketplace for everything you want to sell. With the exception of harder to find parts I don't sell anything unusual. I do have a lot of sales, and have a store on Ebay, but I also use to sell just old stuff I no longer needed. When you know how to Ebay you will rarely toss anything, part of your money can always be recouped.

Etsy is more about crafty stuff, the traffic to the site is much smaller. It may very well be a great place to sell certain items, but I sell plenty of items on Ebay that are homemade or for crafters like automatic chicken watering buckets and white oak wood blanks. It all depends on what you are trying to sell I guess, just saying I wouldn't count Ebay out. Ebay is the largest easiest to access market for most people living in the country, not saying they are perfect.