Author Topic: I found a dimple in the sidewall of my front tire -- dangerous? (video attached)  (Read 11288 times)

Offline Oil Lady

• Lady oil lady oil la-dy hoo
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • My book needs more humor. My pen needs more salt.
It's a small depression in the sidewall. I only saw it just now because the sun was setting and the lighting on the tire looked odd on one spot of the tire's curve. I ran my hand over it and it's a dimple or depression about the size of a quarter dollar, and not really very deep, but still there.

I googled the exact phrase "dimple in sidewall of tire" and found different opinions. Here's what my google-fu came up with:

-- BUBBLE or PIMPLES in sidewalls, which are bumps sticking OUTWARD, are super dangerous and such a tire needs replacing immediately.

-- DIMPLES or DEPRESSIONS in sidewalls, which are bumps sticking INWARD, are merely cosmetic and pose no real threat.

My tire flaw seems to be a DIMPLE and it sticks INWARD.

Thoughts??

--OL

Here's a 24-second video that I shot just now to show you the actual tire on my car as of 10 minutes ago:

http://vid1289.photobucket.com/albums/b502/plot_lady/video-2015-05-11-17-34-12_zps9ummw3ef.mp4

« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 03:53:15 PM by Oil Lady »

endurance

Probably not a big deal.  If you're worried about it, you might want to go back to where you bought the tires and ask if it might be warrantied.  Most tires are warrantied against defect, just not damage.

Offline Oil Lady

• Survival Demonstrator
Probably not a big deal.  If you're worried about it, you might want to go back to where you bought the tires and ask if it might be warrantied.  Most tires are warrantied against defect, just not damage.

Good idea! :)

They came from Town Fair Tire. And he made sure they came with a warranty.

These tires were bought for me by the dude who sold me the car last year. The day I bought the car, he bought for me/installed for me new brakes and new tires. These are actually my snow tires which he tossed into the trunk for me brand new, and which I eventually got installed in January. (The all-season tires are in the trunk right now.) So I am actually due for a tire rotation now that winter is (finally!) over.

Offline raginrick

• Prepper
  • Glad I Found TSP
    • allzombienews
Dimples are not a problem, don't let a tire salesman scare you. I have seen brand new tires have them due to the way they were stacked. If it is protruding out it is a problem but pressed in is no big deal. Hope this helps.

Offline Oil Lady

• Survival Demonstrator
Thanks guys! :)

One more question: I noticed the TINIEST of vibrations in the steering wheel as of a few days ago.

Could THIS be that vibration?

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
You could have your alignment off, lost a weight, or you could have mud or something in your wheel.

Cedar

Offline reefmarker

• Survivalist Mentor
Doesn't look like a dimple to me.  It looks like the tire took a good hit to a curb or something and the sidewall is damaged (although it doesn't look like there is any damage to the rim).  It is a linear indention, not a pock mark or dimple.

I am not a tire expert!

If you can't get it looked at where you have a warranty then go someplace that could not care less if they sell you a tire or not.  someplace like Walmart, Sams, Costco.  A place that sells lots of tires and does not get commission for sales, but still has well trained tire people.  I would go to Costco where I am.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
Looks like the tires belt overlap...a normal thing. Part of tire construction.I worked at a retread plant for almost 18 years.
Make sure tires ,especially the front,are the same pressure as difference in pressure can cause the vibration you describe.

endurance

Given your winter there, I suspect it's a build up is salt and traction sand on the inside (under the car side) of the wheel. Give it a good pressure wash focusing on the wheels. Happens every winter to me.

Offline riverbend_rich

• Senior Survivalist
  • Garden, Hunt, DIY (MSB)
    • Ada Music Center (music store, band instrument repair)
Can't load the video out here in the boonies.... But it sounds like Carl has it. A co-worker bought four new tires from walmart (light truck) they all had a dimple that almost looked like a seam in the sidewall. I've personally owned several tires with it and never had problems with that coming loose. I usually have problems with uneven wear. I am no tire expert either I just own a small business that puts on about 1600 miles a week. So I buy a lot of tires.

Rich

Offline Newtopian

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Wouldn't worry about it. I had all four tires once with that, and the dimples were spaced evenly apart, each 1/3 of the way around the tire.
It's a manufacturing issue, I think, or something done from the factory. At least, thats the way these Goodyears looked.

If it's only on one tire, and you're overly concerned about it, rotate that tire to the rear of the car. You'll have the peace of mind that IF it does blow, you'll still be able to steer to safety.

Offline Shocked4Sure

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Cosmetic only
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2016, 01:17:17 PM »
Sounds like it's cosmetic only according to this tire site:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=32

Offline Nophix

• Prepper
Thanks guys! :)

One more question: I noticed the TINIEST of vibrations in the steering wheel as of a few days ago.

Could THIS be that vibration?

That dimple is normal. Its the spot of the tire where the belts come together. If you look, most tires will show that to some extent after a bit of use and heat cycling.

Vibration is likely just in need of a balance. It could also be a wear issue from worn out shocks, bushings, or other suspension components. Rotate and balance, and see if the problem persists.

Offline Carver

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Are we there yet?
Tires have a shelf life, wouldn't that make retreads a poor choice?