Author Topic: Affordable flashlights you can charge your phone with  (Read 9023 times)

endurance

Affordable flashlights you can charge your phone with
« on: May 31, 2015, 12:27:02 PM »
I started on a quest a few weeks ago.  I loaned out my portable phone charger that used two rechargeable 18650 batteries and would give me two full charges on my cell phone without having to find an outlet and it was lost during the trip.  I wanted to replace it, but I wanted to try to kill several birds with one stone.  In my perfect world, I would have a cell phone charger that would also be a high intensity flashlight for when I traveled.  Ideally, it would also be something I could carry with the fire department as my handheld flashlight that could give me a charge if my phone was dying on an extended call, although I realized I might end up with two different devices for two different purposes when I started my search.

My criteria varied by purpose, for travel, I want something with a couple charges in it so I can keep my phone or kindle topped off when in airports, etc.  It also needs to charge with a micro USB cable, not some proprietary cable or need an external battery charger.  I should be able to recharge it from my laptop or a plug in USB charger.  I still want a light that’s adequate for normal travel emergencies, but it doesn’t need to be a megatorch.  For the fire department, I want a megatorch.  I already have a 200 lumen light on my helmet and another 200 lumen light on my coat, but sometimes I need a handheld light that will burn retinas… and charge my phone on a multi-hour call where I’m using my GPS or other apps with poor data coverage and high draw.

I found a number of contenders and ordered six of them to review and separate the wheat from the chaff.  There were more expensive units out there, but there’s fewer options than you might think.  It seems these are relatively new beasts and features vary widely.  Here’s what I bought to experiment with:

Left to right-
Pardus Multifunction light $15.99
UltraFire HWA WYS $15.99 (without battery or charger, uses lithium ion 18650)
TrustFire N8$30.12 (without battery, but with MicroUSB port for charging, uses lithium ion 18650)
Etekcity 2-in-1$11.62
EAchine mini Y2$14.99
KMax 812$13.79

The KMAX 812 was a real surprise.  While I assumed it would have the capacity of a dual 18650 charger (touts 4400mah, not tested, sealed unit and unable to verify batteries used), the light is surprisingly strong for a travel charger.  Comparing it to other lights I own, I’d estimate it around 250-300 lumens.  The beam was a nice, slightly cool white light with good spot and spill.  It is also the only light I tested that gives a four LED display of the state of charge (full, ¾, ½, ¼).  As a travel light, given the price, this unit is very hard to beat.  While I wish the manufacturer allowed you to easily swap in higher capacity batteries, it’s adequate to give two full charges on my iphone 5.  As will be found with all the units tested, the unit will charge the first third in about 15 minutes, the second third in about an hour, and the last third takes about 90 minutes.  This same profile was pretty constant with every unit tested.  2.5 hours for a full charge, but 2/3rds in the first hour.  Generally the last 10% takes over a 30 minutes.

The EAchine is nice and small.  Slips into a coat pocket without noticing.  The light is fair.  It puts out about 25-30 lumens, just enough to walk safely in the dark over uneven terrain, but not nearly enough to be a light weapon, blinding an opponent in a dark alley.  The beam pattern is round with good spill to the edges with enough focus to see 25’ with relative clarity.  It has a 2400mah battery (factory rated on battery label, not actually tested), with was enough to charge my iPhone 5.  The switch isn’t well protected and turns on far too easily, but the size of this one is definitely the strongest selling point.  It charges via micro USB port and has a standard USB output.  Battery is incorporated into the design, soldered and shrink-wrapped to the electronics, so swapping for a higher capacity battery isn’t easy without significant hacking.

The Etekcity 2-in-1 comes close in some ways and misses the mark in several other ways.  The battery is proprietary with both the positive and negative in the same end.  It is labeled 2400mah, which seems accurate as it gives a similar charging profile to the EAchine.  This is a very solidly built light, but that’s the first downfall I found with the light, it’s a heavy brick with lots of sharp edges to wear holes in pants pockets.  The light beam is square when in flashlight mode, which I’m not a fan of.  Very little spill to the side, but it does have good reach.  It claims 300 lumens, but with the narrow focus, it’s hard to compare to other lights I own.  It’s more than 200 lumens, but I hesitate to confirm the 300 lumen claim.  Where it really shines is as a lantern.  Pull out on the bezel ring and you get a lantern that puts off about as much light as a single old-school Christmas tree bulb.  It’s enough to find your way around the room without stumbling over the dog toys and you could read right next to it, but it’s not lighting up the entire room like a 60 watt incandescent.

The TrustFire N8 has features you need without stuff you don’t.  One of the features that drives me nuts with many less expensive flashlights is features I really don’t want, like strobe functions and such that I have to cycle through every time or find that the next time I turn it on, when I want a beam, I get a strobe.  This light has off-on high-on low-off.  That’s it.  I like that.  It also sports the brightest and most useful beam of all the lights I tested.  About 800 lumens, excellent hot spot with a range of over 100m, but plenty of spill to cover where you’re walking, not just the trail ahead.  The head is oversized allowing for a larger reflector which gives the beam its desirable qualities of both spot and spill.  It uses a standard 18650 battery, which is not included, but to me, this was an advantage because I can pick a higher end battery with more power, buying me more use time (I have a 3400mah battery in it).  The charging profile was similar to others, roughly 2/3rds charge on my phone in an hour, but 2.5 hours to complete the charge.  It uses a microUSB port for charging the battery from any computer, cell phone charger, cigarette lighter, etc., and the output is a standard USB output.  Those are features that really make a difference for me.  If you have an android, you can carry a single cable to charge the flashlight and to charge your phone from the flashlight.  If you have an iphone, you might want to look into something like this or this.

The Ultrafire light disappointed in a few ways, but for some might be the right choice.  My primary complaint is the sheer bulk of this light.  It’s heavier than it would seem it needs to be and because it is zoomable, a larger form-factor than it needs to be.  It also has a rail mounting capability with a universal-style rail section on two of the four sides.  However, as a tactical light, it makes a poor choice because it is reverse clicky, not forward clicky, so the light comes on when you release the switch, not when you press it.  There’s no momentary feature and each time you partially click off, it cycles to the next feature, which is: off-on high-off-on low-off-on strobe-off.  I don’t like a light that’s like a box of chocolates when in a tactical situation; I want to know what I’m getting.  The zoomable beam is good in full flood, but at full zoom produces a square beam with no spill.  It comes without the battery, but uses the common 18650, however, there is no way to charge it with a standard microUSB.  Instead it has a tiny hole for a charging port, but comes with no charging cable or charger.  For me, this means taking the battery out each time to charge it on my charger.  If you don’t own a charger, you’ll have to buy one or figure out just what charger cable you’ll need to fit the small charging port.  I’d estimate the light at around 500-600 lumens, nowhere near the 2000 lumens advertised (nor even possible from the LED used, a XML-T6).  If you already have an 18650 charger and batteries, want to rail mount a light on your gun that is capable of charging your phone, and don’t mind pulling the battery to charge it, it is a good all around value at $15.99, but the cost of a charger and battery alone will likely take you over the price of some of the alternatives if you're not already set up.

The Pardus light presents a surprising value.  It comes with internal batteries, a proprietary 120vac charger, a proprietary car carger, a proprietary USB connector/adapter, a light that puts out 700-800 lumens in a good blend of spill and spot for field work, and the lantern is remarkably useful.  Because the lantern focuses all the light in a 180 degree rather than a 360 degree arc, you get more light where you need it and can light up a room well enough to walk around comfortably.  I don’t know the lantern lumens output, but it’s over solid.  Easy to read by and do mechanical tasks.  The switch and features are more complicated than they need to be:  Off-on high-off-on low-off-lantern-off-lantern red-off-lantern flashing red-off.  Again, if you don’t cycle through all, you might get the lantern when you want the flashlight, but it appears to reset to the flashlight after some period of time (haven’t figured out just how long, but it’s over 30 seconds, less than five minutes).  One feature I didn’t like is that it charges with a proprietary pin charger and that’s also your only output.  You have to carry a separate proprietary cable that converts to a USB output.  If you lose the USB conversion cable, you lose the ability to charge your phone and you can’t just get a new Micro USB cable at Walgreens to replace it.  That’s a real downfall for me.  I don’t want to have to keep track of something that if I lose, I lose a feature forever.  However, the overall value of the light is hard to beat if you can keep all the pieces and parts together. 

In conclusion, none of these are top of the line lights with all the features I dream of in a light.  They’re all reverse clicky, which makes them poor choices for tactical use.  They are all made by secondary manufacturers in China, which means they’re made with the cheapest switches and circuit boards they could manufacture rather than the quality control a company like Streamlight or Pelican or other established manufacturer.  Sure, they probably come out of the same Chinese factories, but the name brand is going to build with the higher end switches and boards so they’re not warrantying everything that goes out the door.  What these lights do provide is some features you aren’t going to get out of the current generation of high end lights; the ability to recharge your phone when you’re away from your car or home.  Our phones have become an important feature for our safety and convenience.  Going without for a few hours can be anything from an inconvenience to a dangerous situation.  That’s what makes these lights worth considering.

For me, my wife already claimed dibs on the EAchine.  The smallest of the bunch, it’s something she wants in her purse all the time.  My first choice for my bunker gear (firefighter turnout coat and pants) is the TrustFire.  It gives me a much better light than I carry today and the ability to charge my phone.  Just what I was looking for.  For traveling, the KMAX can’t be beat in my book.  It’ll give my kindle a full charge or give me two full phone charges on top of giving me a great flashlight.  It charges off of a micro USB and has a gauge to tell me how much battery life I have left.  All features that I look forward to having in my carry on bag for years to come. 

The Pardus is a great light, but it’s not something I have a purpose for with what I was looking for.  Like the others, I’ll find homes for it.  I have plenty of friends that would be happy with a working flashlight in their homes and my wife might want a brighter light in her car than the little AA light she has now.  I’ll report back as I get more miles on these lights and find which ones stand the test of time and which ones don’t make the cut. 

Another light worth a look that I didn't buy is here.  The three 18650s and two outputs and Micro USB input ports along with the three hour battery life at 800 lumens is impressive.  It was too big for my needs and a little more than I wanted to spend, but might be the right choice for someone with different needs than mine.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
Re: Affordable flashlights you can charge your phone with
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2015, 02:37:40 PM »
Nice write up. Do any of the top tier companies produce a combo product like this?  I could see a healthy demand for a bomb proof light like this in the $100+ range.
23:57:30

endurance

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2015, 02:49:43 PM »
Nice write up. Do any of the top tier companies produce a combo product like this?  I could see a healthy demand for a bomb proof light like this in the $100+ range.
Nothing I've found yet.  Fenix only recently released a light that charges on a micro USB, but so far no top tier manufacturer has put a USB output on a product yet.  A year ago the only thing around was USB chargers that had a little 20mw convenience LED on them.  Now there's 8-10 options, but all alternative manufacturers.  I suspect there's a number in the works right now and that's where these designs are coming from.

Offline chad

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2015, 03:23:56 PM »
Nice write up endurance....I did not know such beasts existed.

Are you really NUTNFANCY... ::)

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
  • Asking the uncomfortable questions since 1964
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2015, 03:35:48 PM »
I never knew about the smaller torch-type flashlights that charge either.

I have a combination radio, LED flashlight, charger that I thought was pretty cool, but now I want one of those.

FYI - If you're looking for a larger version, I really like this one.  It charges with a cord, with a solar panel or with a hand crank.  Sorry about the monster size picture...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001QTXKB0?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2015, 07:35:46 PM »
I like flashlights and am reminded of an old National Geographic show about apes and the commentary....
"The male of the species is particularly fascinated by bright shiny objects"...yep ,that's me.

Good write-up.
Stop complaining about life and start Celebrating it .

I've reached the age where there is little left to learn the hard way.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2015, 10:14:58 PM »
In looking at my Fenix TK75, it seems like it would be relatively easy to retrofit the tail cap. Maybe a new cell holder with contacts at both ends and a watertight cap over the USB ports, and boom, serious light and backup power from 4X 3400mAh 18650s. I'd buy a retrofit kit like that.  Hell, I'd buy a whole new light like that.
23:57:30

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2015, 01:44:43 AM »
nice job endurance....

a few cokmments on the Ultrafire light.
It is a copy of a jetbeam older model
you are getting less than 1000 lumens because of the losses of the zoom fetaure. yuo won't believ how big a loss the full zoom settign has! i measured oen i it scared the S...out of me. A complete waste to produce 1000 and get less than half in internal losses.

Freelancer,
There are some better Chinese lights that feature a charger function in the multicell carrier but someone else has to do the search, starting from acebeam

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2015, 09:34:06 PM »

Any comments on this one ?

http://www.cellularoutfitter.com/lg/optimus-l70/phone-batteries/hybridlight-2-in-1-flashlight-and-charger-yellow.html

It seems perhaps it is not a super bright light, but it is supposedly completely waterproof and is solar powered so you can leave it outside, it soaks up a charge from the sun and then  you can charge your phone or ipod from it.

I also saw this:
http://www.amazon.com/Optimus-Flashlight-Retractable-Charger-Folding/dp/B00MR2ZWG6

Can someone give the pros and cons of D battery lights versus these lithium ion ?

endurance

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2015, 10:47:27 PM »

An alkaline D cell has about 20.8 watt hours of energy stored
A nicad rechargeable D cell has about 11.4 watt hours of energy stored
An 18650 lithium ion battery has about 11.8 watt hours (3200mah) and is smaller and lighter

An incandescent bulb puts out 15 lumens per watt
An LED puts out 240 lumens per watt

So a modern LED flashlight using an 18650 lithium ion can put out roughly 9.8x the light for the same amount of time of the same amount of light for 9.8x the duration as a single D cell comparison while having a smaller form factor and substantially lighter. 

I haven't tested either of the products shown. The first light is only 160 lumens, which is ok, but not a lot of light for it's size relative to others on the market. Self charging is a nice feature, but without 8-12 hours of full sun, its not going to keep up with demand. Even moderate use will deplete a 2400mah battery in 8-12 hours and during the winter you may only get 5-7 hours of full intensity sun. It's nice to have options, just be aware of the limitations.

I've built some box lights myself using 2400 lumen off road led lights and a small sealed lead acid battery. I put out more light than a car highbeam in a portable package with about a two hour battery life. There's no way you could have built something like that a decade ago. The LED technology wasn't there and you'd need something the size if a car battery to get remotely close. Now it's a small box light. To me, while I might be content with a 72 lumen headlamp on a running trail, if I want to see what went bump on the night at 100 yards, a 500 lumen or greater is my prefered tool for the job. That's where modern LEDs outshine all the older halogen and incandescent lights out there.

endurance

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2015, 04:49:45 PM »
Please note, the KMAX 812 that I reviewed is not what is coming up on the Amazon link anymore.  The charger coming up now is much more expensive and does not have the same light.  Not sure what Amazon is trying to pull here, but be forewarned on that model.

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2015, 07:38:14 AM »

I ordered the eachine, the ektekcity, and the solar one I posted. I am pissed because I miss placed the etekcity and was looking all around my house and my car. I need to be careful where I put these things because it's not just another flashlight

What I like is at my BOL (which has no electricity), if it's 4:00 AM and my phone needs charging then I don't have to go out to my car, plug my phone into the cigarette lighter and leave it in the car for 2 hours. I can just roll over in bed and connect the phone to the flashlight. Similarly, my phone needed charging but I was going for a hike. I just charged the phone inside my backpack with the flashlight while I was hiking. I like it that I don't have to worry so much that someone may call me while the phone is charging somewhere else where I am not while it's plugged in.

Offline r_w

• Dedicated Contributor
  • On my way
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2016, 01:02:18 PM »
Any updates?

I am in need of a new phone charger and hoping someone else has done the research lately.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2016, 04:37:14 PM »
I don't quite get why you would charge a phone from a battery that you would then need to charge...what is wrong with a
proper phone charger? I do understand a battery backup,but who is away from AC/auto for so much time as to not charge a phone
direct from wall or vehicle power?

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Offline r_w

• Dedicated Contributor
  • On my way
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2016, 05:02:18 PM »
I am.  I work with the Amish and try to run an online business at the same time.  In marginal coverage, an iPhone 6 will barely last a half day. 

Offline DiabloLoco

• Fledgling Prepper
  • Every survival kit should include a sense of humor
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2016, 05:31:03 PM »
I am.  I work with the Amish and try to run an online business at the same time.  In marginal coverage, an iPhone 6 will barely last a half day.
Have you considered buying a backup battery instead? 

Offline r_w

• Dedicated Contributor
  • On my way
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2016, 06:35:10 PM »
Have you considered buying a backup battery instead?

Yeah.  I also have seen backup batteries (10-20 Ah in a flat phone shaped format) with lanterns.

Problem is the model turnover is so fast you can't get a long term quality view before it is obsolete.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2016, 08:35:24 PM »
You walk,or do you take a vehicle? Surely you have power to charge available as even Amish carriages have power for lights.

Offline r_w

• Dedicated Contributor
  • On my way
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2016, 09:06:48 PM »
I have access to my vehicle some of the time.  But not enough. 

The Amish I am usually with still use kerosene lamps or dry cell batteries.  Old order.

endurance

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2016, 07:06:29 PM »
I'm just getting back to civilization after 26 days of backpacking. I relied heavily on my Klarus CH1 using either Panasonic 3400mah or Orbtronics 3400mah batteries that were in my resupply boxes. I can't recommend the Klarus strongly enough for the money. With a good quality (not chinese) battery, I could get two full charges for my iPhone 5 and still have enough juice left to recharge my Suunto Ambit 3 Peak watch. That meant two batteries would be enough to cover me for four to five days in the field between resupplies.

My phone use was for the trail app (GPS only on when actively looking), Bluetooth connection with my Delorme satellite communication device, and camera, with very limited use for texting and voice when cell service was available. Most of the time I used airplane mode with Bluetooth enabled.

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2016, 02:49:58 AM »
hell of agood experience and feat Endurance!

since you mentioned use of the klarus charger here  are three similar chargers that are a bit better.
http://lygte-info.dk/review/Review%20Charger%20LiitoKala%20Lii-100%20UK.html
lygte-info.dk/review/Review Charger Opus BT-C100 UK.html| (no powwerbank feature)
http://lygte-info.dk/review/Review%20Charger%20Nitecore%20F1%20UK.html

Offline Hootie

• Written Word Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Just another day gardening in the heat of texas
    • Frozen Gardener
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2016, 10:53:59 AM »
been using this for 2yrs. I use it about every 2mth to change my phone. No battery pack lasts forever, guessing i got about another 1yr before I need to replace it.

EasyAcc Ubright
3350mAh Power Bank
2.1A output
$13
https://amzn.com/B017GPBSW0
"Don't be afraid, just be informed"
"If you live your life around what your neighbors think, you'll do nothing except mow your lawn." -Steven Harris Ep726

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2016, 11:00:42 AM »
the battery inside will...but I am kind of hesitant about the real capacity.

Offline Chris Gilliam

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2016, 03:46:21 PM »
http://amzn.to/2e2h5qw

I would rather use this, since I always have extra batteries with me.
This same charger comes with the Thrunite TN12, but since I have
the Tn11 I haven't found an excuse to order the 12 yet.  :-[

Offline artephius

• Survivor
  • Recovering forum lurker..
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2016, 07:07:27 PM »
Wow I feel a little dumb now for not thinking of this myself, as I carry 6 charged 18650s every day for my e-cig. What a great post!

I spent a little while hunting around for alternatives as the ones from the op that I was interested in don't seem to be readily available anymore.
These two seem like possibly decent ones for a reasonable price (there are better ones out there, but I do not consider $200 a reasonable price for a flashlight unless you can see it from space).

Samic Rechargeable LED Flashlight with 2200mAh Power Bank CREE 1198 Lumen 5 Modes Ultra Bright Tactical Flashlight
by Samic
Link: http://a.co/5ITAOQJ
$36.90

WindFire® Waterproof Tactical 5 Modes CREE XM-L2 T6 LED 2000 Lumens USB Rechargeable Flashlight 18650 Battery Power Bank Lamp Flashlight Mobile Extenel Power Source Light Micro USB Input, USB Output, with Power Indicator for Camping, Travalling
by WindFire®
Link: http://a.co/eEHPFGI
$33.60

I'm not sure how the button works or how these switch modes, but the second one claims to be "clicky", so maybe momentary is possible. I'll probably end up buying that one first.

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2016, 03:22:35 AM »
I bought this solar panel and charger. The charger can charge off the panels or from the wall socket. It was expensive but hopefully since it came from REI it is good quality. The charger is the device on the lower left.
It was one of those things where I was at the store and ended up buying it without having planned to previously.

https://www.rei.com/product/880056/goal-zero-venture-30-solar-kit

Are these solar generators any decent ? Alex Jones promotes something like this as well. It doesn't work well if it cold out though ?

https://www.rei.com/product/862517/goal-zero-yeti-150-solar-generator

Plug into a solar panel and place in the sun; takes roughly 26- 52 hrs. to charge with the Nomad 13 solar panel; 11 - 22 hrs. to charge with the Boulder 30 (sold separately)
    Two other ways to charge Yeti 150: from the wall (takes about 6 hrs.) or from your car using 12V port (takes about 8 hrs.)
    Common devices that Yeti 150 powers include laptops, tablets, lights, C-PAP machines, smartphones, cameras, e-readers, MP3 players and personal gaming devices
    Portable wall outlet powers laptops, lights and smartphones anywhere
    Easy to carry with the convenient pop-up handle
    Lead acid battery features 168 watt-hours (12V, 14Ah) capacity, hundreds of cycles, 3-month shelf life, no fuses and built-in charging/low-battery protection
    Generator operates in temperatures ranging from 32° to 104° F (0° to 40° C)
    The Goal Zero Yeti 150 solar power generator offers the following approximate power: 12V light (50 hrs.); smartphone (15 recharges); tablet (6 recharges); laptop (2 recharges)

« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 03:28:08 AM by surfivor »

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2016, 03:51:29 AM »
Good luck with the GOAL ZERO (goal achieved,in my opinion)

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2017, 05:14:44 AM »
update on the products available

lantern/chargers
https://www.banggood.com/BlitzWolf-BW-LT5-Pro-IP68-Waterproof-LED-Panasonic-3350mAh-Powerbank-Emergency-Camping-Lantern-p-1090454.html
https://www.banggood.com/BlitzWolf-BW-LT5-IP68-Waterproof-LED-Lamp-Light-2600mAh-Powerbank-Emergency-Camping-Light-p-1030512.html?rmmds=category
https://www.banggood.com/Outdoor-Portable-Magnetic-Lantern-16-LED-USB-Rechargeable-Camping-Light-Lamp-Emergency-Torch-p-1095873.html

and turning the subject around
USB lights to add to the powerbank (touch dimmable)
https://www.banggood.com/1_2W-5V-5730-SMD-Mini-USB-Dimmable-LED-Touch-Night-Light-for-Laptop-Computer-p-1155439.html
there are also some USB flashlights that are attached to any powerbank, but I do not regard them as good.

BTW I am not promoting the specific seller. It is just one of the sources I use for finding flashlight stuff. Also Blitzwolf are their brand name on third party good quality stuff

Offline NWPilgrim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2017, 01:13:10 PM »
I am taking a slightly different approach for the very portable light/phone charger.  I prefer to have a quality light like the Fenix PD32 using the 18650 battery.  And have a small battery charger/USB charger like the Xtar VP2 that can both recharge the flashlight battery from DC outlet and separately provide a full recharge or two for my phone.

We have been in several instances where we had to go somewhere right now, and of course the phone was near depletion.  Although a phone or car charger were available it would take a while to charge up. Having a portable power pack is very handy.  Or a day at the beach or woods.  this is more critical for iPhones that do not have consumer replaceable batteries.  When I had a Blackberry I could carry one or two extra batteries when hiking or tent camping. 
There have always been times like this, and there will be again. Will we rise to the challenges or get run over?