Author Topic: DesignerGirl28's 2015 Container Garden  (Read 6515 times)

Offline designergirl28

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
DesignerGirl28's 2015 Container Garden
« on: April 12, 2015, 07:01:31 AM »
Here starts my garden journal for 2015's all container garden on a sunny zone 5b cement back patio. Follow along as I try and teach my 3yo son where food comes from and I learn to grow things I have never tried before all in containers. Focus will be on easy to grow foods that we like to eat. My garden photo album http://s1077.photobucket.com/user/designergirl28/slideshow/

3/28 We start the first of our seeds indoors. Yep really late but atleast he now knows how you go from planting a seed to it sprouting. We have Yellow Pear, Roma and Black Krim tomatoes and cucumbers.

4/1
After several days of "Mama are the seeds ready?" and me saying "no seeds take a long time to grow Baby" they popped up! That was way quicker than I thought they would! I rarely start things from seed so I thought it would take atleast a week for these to pop up. Apparently a spot right under a heat vent under the kitchen table is a good place to start them.

4/11
After some bucket collecting, I made our self watering grow buckets! youtube videos abound on how to do it and i followed suggestions from a few of them to get them done. I'm still working on a few 18 gallon tote ones but these are done and waiting for some of our starts. Hoping to make a few more if I can get more fee buckets.

We also planted seeds for radishes, carrots, lettuce, snow peas and chives today.

Here's our current sprouts progress

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
Re: DesignerGirl28's 2015 Container Garden
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2015, 07:22:40 AM »
Looks promising. Best of luck with it!

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2015, 08:07:40 AM »
+1 , and your first Karma point.

Cedar

Offline bigbear

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2015, 09:17:51 PM »
Very cool!  I'm looking forward to seeing your container garden grow.

Offline jamendjr

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2015, 04:32:43 AM »
Awesome! Glad to see you started a garden thread.

I dont think 3/28 is that late to start seeds. I am on the zone 6/7 border and just started mine. I have found, at least here, that its less stressful starting seeds a little later, rather than freaking out when they are getting to big for the solo cup.

Looking forward to your updates.

Offline designergirl28

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2015, 05:34:24 AM »
Thanks for all the well wishes! Really hoping atleast some of this stuff works since its been atleast 20 yrs (in my teens) since I planted anything from seed and I've never seed started in the house before.

Offline sshickson

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2015, 07:58:14 AM »
Looks Great! Love that you are getting the whole family involved!

Offline designergirl28

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2015, 05:06:31 PM »
Time for a small update on the garden....

We did get the potatoes finally planted after I found some good deep bins and drilled a bunch of holes in them.

They are finally growing so we have Purple seed potatoes in one bin...

and then some red and yukon gold organics from the grocery that sprouted before we ate them in the other

Everything else is starting to come up...
Snow Peas, Carrots and lettuce in these 3

Chives and Radishes here. Little Man and I had a great salad the other day when we had radish micro greens after thinning some of the radishes.

Today we repotted our seedlings because they were really starting to look really sad after I took them out side for a bit and we had a temperature drop in a hr.  so from this....

to this....

we still have a ways to go here before those can go out in the big grow bins I made for them. We had really nice warm temps when we planted the seeds and then went back to sucky, cold and rainy april weather after that. I still need to get a few more planters for some of the other things I want to try growing.

Offline FreedomFarmTV

• Prepper
  • Prepper
    • FreedomFarmTV
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2015, 01:45:09 PM »
Here is 2 part videos where I made my kids a container garden. My kids love bell pepper so that's what we planted

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f818OZzmRfc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGJE_-NoH14

Offline designergirl28

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2015, 09:34:03 AM »
Time for another garden update!
In a stroke of good luck when my LL came to pick up the rent he saw all my seedlings getting straggly on the back porch said that I could take a strip of the backyard, dig up the grass  and plant them! so in the vain of "better to ask forgiveness than permission" I figured he would have less of a issue with it later if it was in a nice raised bed. So in a 3 week (ie days off) project started May 21st, I put one in!it started off like this

2hrs later:

And 9hrs later we had a unfilled raised bed!

The bed ended up being approx 3'x12'x12" and was a bear to build by myself with a 3yrold "helper". Since my hubby and I never have a day off together it can make doing anything like this 10xs harder with the little guy helping.

A week later on the next free day off (5/28) we filled it with one very heavy cart of 2 peat moss, 4 compost/manure and 5 organic garden soil.

and planted!

we have starting from the closest end, 6 packman broccoli, 2 yellow summer squash (which I fear we didn't give enough space to) 2 cucumbers (not our seedlings as I somehow killed them all) 5 heirloom black krim tomato seedlings, 2 yellow pair tomato seedlings and 2 Roma seedlings.  All of the tomatoes are seeds we started though I had the best luck with the black krim. when the other tomatoes got a little cold they started dying off but the krim wilted a bit and came right back stronger. I still have 4 realy healthy if a little small seedlings that my mil is going to try growing.
 As of 6/4 we now have some supports for the squash, cukes and tomatoes

In other garden news
Last week we had several days in a row that were close to 90 which made our salad greens bolt and our radish 2nd round give up the fight. So the radish pot got replanted with Bee Balm and Peppermint and I think we are going to try some salad mix under the squash and cucumber supports while they are both small. Potatoes have gone insane and are starting to flower. The ykon gold ones for some reason are looking really wilty even though we are keeping everything well watered.
Snow peas are coming up well and we put in a small trellis to help them vine on. We started from seed some basil, cilantro, beets romaine and spinach in our homemade 5gal grow buckets and they are all doing well. We also bought a rosemary and purple basil plant. 
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 09:39:38 AM by designergirl28 »

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2015, 11:32:32 AM »
Very nicely done.

Cedar