Author Topic: Weapon of choice  (Read 46292 times)

Notsonutso

Weapon of choice
« on: May 09, 2009, 11:41:19 AM »

Just wondering if the ladies here use a weapon, own a weapon....I'm talking about firearms.

I know next to nothing, and am really afraid of them.  I wanted to learn, we spent some time with my brother-in-law at his cabin specifically for that reason.  Well, I put 4 macho men to shame with a .22 first time out.  BIG mistake.  They thought it would be funny to see how I did with a 12 gauge.  That was October...my shoulder is still sore and I only fired once.  Hubby is sooo sorry, yadda, yadda, yadda.  I KNOW they snicker about it yet.  Long story short, I don't have any desire to learn anymore.  I know under dire circumstances, I could do what I had to do, but I feel sort of less than, if you know what I mean.

Offline JPH

• Survivor
Re: Weapon of choice
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2009, 12:10:35 PM »
There is NOTHING macho about any of the 4 boys!

Let this be a great example for every other lady here, If a bunch of boys can't handle that fact that most trained women, (or untrained for that mater), are better shots then "macho men" then they shouldn't be allowed to teach Jack Crap to anyone! IF you are male or female young or old and find your self where the teacher wants to show off how much stronger, faster, tougher they are to the student because the student is doing well, or isn't... Then that is the point in time when you have to be strong and say no, or F off or whatever dose the trick.

I hope and prey that you get some real training from a real instructor because I wouldn't want someone betting their life or that of their loved ones on a one time trip to a cabin that left a bad taste in your mouth.

O, PS good going with your first .22 shots, I started on a .22 and love to shot it to this day.

Offline Mielikki

• Prepper
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2009, 12:43:25 PM »
I'm training "on my own". That means that I go, alone, to the local shooting range every monday and get training in there. They guys who run the place are really helpful and nice, and so far we have gone through several different handguns (handling, taking apart, cleaning and of course, shooting :D). .22 is still my favourite, because I can concentrate better to the shooting than with bigger ones (still a bit "bang-shy"). Not once anyone in there has made any nasty comments, taken me lightly because of my gender or anything like that.

The main reason I chose this route is that all my male family members are into guns. Most of them own several handguns, shotguns and rifles. I think they wouldn't pull anything like what your brother-in-law did (that guy should be sooooo ashamed), but I know they would take for granted that I know something I don't (like "keep your thumbs like this to avoid loosing skin").

Don't let yourself to be put down with an experience like that. Try to find a nice shooting range you can visit regularly, and go alone. Don't let your hubby to come with you, because he would most likely try to make up for the stuff at the cabin by rushing things and not telling you when you do things wrong. The instructors will want you to enjoy the experience but at the same time, they are not afraid to let you know if there is something you should correct.

I found out that I really enjoy shooting. It is a bit of "me-time" and really relaxing, almost like meditation of sorts. I'm sorry to hear that your first experience was so bad, but don't let it to be the last experience.

Offline TXChikk

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Lovely
    • Foxy Flair
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2009, 01:29:08 PM »
Notsonutso I hate to hear about your experience with wannabe men and shooting. You really need an outside instructor qualified to teach if you really want to learn. My ex-husband had that same condescending attitude with me too. He could be an a**. I later realized he was easily intimidated. 'Nother story for 'nother time.

I am now comfortable carrying my pistol on my person after a Fighting Pistol class from Tactical Response. Taking that class did wonders for my self-confidence and self-esteem in handling a weapon, I highly recommend it if you're able to attend. I have only shot 9mm, .22, .357 and .25 cal pistols. I am comfortable with the 9mm, I love my Glock 19 and it is my every day carry weapon.

As for shotguns I was a bit nervous around them too but I bought one of those fancy recoil absorbing stocks (Knoxx) and I hardly notice I'm firing a shotgun. I have fired .223, .243, .308, 30-30 and 30-06 and my 30-06 packs quite a wallop. It needs (rather I need) new butt pads for sure but the .308 shoots so smooth it's a pleasure to handle. I think a 30-30 is a great rifle to begin with.

Just my 2 cents

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2009, 09:28:12 PM »
They thought it would be funny to see how I did with a 12 gauge.  That was October...my shoulder is still sore and I only fired once.  Hubby is sooo sorry, yadda, yadda, yadda.  I KNOW they snicker about it yet.  Long story short, I don't have any desire to learn anymore.  I know under dire circumstances, I could do what I had to do, but I feel sort of less than, if you know what I mean.

That really pisses me off.  My husband and I shoot trap competitively (that's shotgun shooting), and the fact that you're giving up after shooting once is really disappointing.

If you went shooting in October and you're STILL hurting, then you've broken or torn something, and you need to go to a doctor.  That was 7 months ago, and you should have stopped hurting 2 or 3 days after shooting.

And the fact that nobody showed you how to hold a shotgun so that you didn't end up with an injury.... well...  >:( >:( That's what really makes me angry.  What the hell were they thinking?

In any case - you're not "less than".  Stop thinking that way, and stop talking that way.  You're a WOMAN, not a little girl to f***ed with by bigger/stronger he-men.  And it doesn't surprise me that you don't want to learn from those jerks anymore.  I wouldn't either.  Your macho husband needs to purchase lessons for you from a good instructor.  Somebody who can put you on a 20 gauge with featherlight loads.  Or a 410.  If it's even that important that you learn how to shoot a shotgun (which it really isn't, unless you plan to compete, or hunt birds). 

What you need to do, darlin', is find a gun you feel comfortable with, and tell hubby to man up and pay for lessons.  A 22 is fine for you right now.  And your instructor can give you a better idea of what sort of rifle or handgun you might want after you have a candid conversation with her.  Don't let pomp and ass-hattery get in the way of being a survivor.  Get back on that horse!

Offline ColdHaven

• Coldylocks
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • How about a scary crow little fire?
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2009, 09:40:12 PM »
+1 Sister Wolf. I whole heartedly agree. I have seen youtube vids of assh-ish males thinking it is funny to see their other try and fire a shotgun without any training. Adolescent minded men like that piss me off too. You know your husband better than I do, but men need to swallow their egos. They should have been amazed and congratulated you on how well you did with the .22 instead of getting their egos hurt because you did better than they did.

When my fiancee fired my Ruger the first time she got it dead center and I told her how awesome that was. I congratulated her and encouraged her to do it some more. Macho men are really men who have delicate sense of self, and if it gets bruised, then they have to show out. Its pitiful.

My fiancee wants to buy a Beretta 12 gauge. I told her she might want to try my 20 gauge first to see if she likes that and then try the 12 gauge. She can do it. She is an amazing lady. You can do it too!

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2009, 09:45:16 PM »
+1 ColdHaven, for being the same kind of man as my TW.  Thanks for treating your lady the way you do.

Offline The Wilderness

• The Patriarch of Lunatics
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
    • The Umbafa Chronicles
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2009, 02:10:38 AM »
Just wondering if the ladies here use a weapon, own a weapon....I'm talking about firearms.

I know next to nothing, and am really afraid of them.  I wanted to learn, we spent some time with my brother-in-law at his cabin specifically for that reason.  Well, I put 4 macho men to shame with a .22 first time out.  BIG mistake.  They thought it would be funny to see how I did with a 12 gauge.  That was October...my shoulder is still sore and I only fired once.  Hubby is sooo sorry, yadda, yadda, yadda.  I KNOW they snicker about it yet.  Long story short, I don't have any desire to learn anymore.  I know under dire circumstances, I could do what I had to do, but I feel sort of less than, if you know what I mean.

I am sorry that you had a bad experience with the shotgun, those guys were out of line to do that to you. Sister Wolf would have flattened me if I pulled something like that. When she was learning shotguns we started her with a 20 gauge. She can shoot a 12 but prefers the 20. She wanted to get some lessons  so we found a good coach and we both went. Good guy and he taught us a lot. Look into getting some training with a good coach and you will do great .Do not be discouraged, like ColdHaven said you can do this.

Then you can really put those asshats to shame :)

The Wilderness

Offline Kellib

• Survivor
    • homestead101
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2009, 12:27:23 PM »
Don't give up the fight. Woman are typically better shots than men and take the time to know their weapon and learn the craft of marksmanship. I currently have a 357 revolver that I keep next to my bed. I also like to shot my husbands 9mm handgun. I also have an sks modified with an adjustable stock. This is an incredible firearm. Please keep trying any firearm you have available. It is very comforting to know that if something happens to the man in you life you could still defend yourself and live your life.

Offline mrs gator

• Survivor
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2009, 06:06:39 AM »
I fired a shotgun with a bunch of male friends a few years ago and it knocked me on my butt. They thought it was hilarious, but I couldn't help but think how dangerous it could have been  :-\ I feel your pain, trust me.

I finally got my CCW permit after a 4 month wait, so I see a nice handgun in future...Just picking it out is the problem. Maybe a pink Glock? lol

But to be honest, I prefer a chainsaw to fight off the zombies  ;)

Offline Chris Redfield

• Survivor
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2009, 06:55:33 AM »
My local club has thrown people out of the club on the spot for those acts of "asshattery" (giving a big gun to a small person)

I bet those videos never get uploaded to YouTube for their idiot friends to laugh at ... "Hey guys, check out this awesome video of the range officer revoking my membership and telling me to get the f*** off the property!" :D

Notsonutso

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2009, 08:35:50 AM »

OK, I will not defend the other guys, but I will say that my hubby is really not an a$$, and he really did feel bad.  I am a doer, will try anything, and seldom complain.  I think I surprise him sometimes when it turns out that I'm a girl, and NOT one of the guys.  Surprises me sometimes...and the age is creeping up.  And, Sister Wolf, I did have previous rotator problems....I should have used some judgment there. 

We don't own any handguns and will probably not get any.  I would prefer one, but we don't have any registered weapons and intend to keep it that way.  This probably belongs on the Tin Foil Hat page, but we both agree that we will not put our names on anything that will put us on a list.  When tshtf, they WILL start collecting with people they already know have registered weapons.  I don't know the law anywhere else, but I know that we have to have permits and registration for handguns here in WI, not so with rifle/shotguns.

I would like to try different weapons.  I didn't know I could rent weapons at a firing range, that would help. 

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2009, 12:28:30 PM »
We don't own any handguns and will probably not get any.  I would prefer one, but we don't have any registered weapons and intend to keep it that way.  This probably belongs on the Tin Foil Hat page, but we both agree that we will not put our names on anything that will put us on a list.  When tshtf, they WILL start collecting with people they already know have registered weapons.  I don't know the law anywhere else, but I know that we have to have permits and registration for handguns here in WI, not so with rifle/shotguns.

I don't think it belongs on the tin foil hat page.  Most people don't really talk about it, but lots of people feel that way.  :)  If states like Montana, Alaska, and Texas keep going the way they are, there might very well be a place where you and hubby could move and retain the ability to NOT be on a list, and also remain "legal".  Or at least, that's what I'm crossing my fingers for.  :)

Offline Beetle

• Proud Grandpa
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2009, 12:38:49 PM »
   I agree with TW try a 20 ga. or even a .410.
   Remington has a youth 870 in 20 ga. that is made for a child and they are very comfortable to shoot.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2009, 02:38:43 PM »
My local club has thrown people out of the club on the spot for those acts of "asshattery" (giving a big gun to a small person)

I bet those videos never get uploaded to YouTube for their idiot friends to laugh at ... "Hey guys, check out this awesome video of the range officer revoking my membership and telling me to get the f*** off the property!" :D

LOL!  I had wondered about that.  Our local ranges are also really, really protective/encouraging of the young'ns and females out on the range.  We've often had discounts from ranges (ladies shoot for free some places), and often other members think "it's cool" that we (wimmin-folk) are out shootin' with the boys.  Besides the fact that, as TW said, I'd have flattened him if he'd put me behind a gun with no instruction, expecting me to fail - I think that any of the ranges out here that WE'VE been to would've flattened him as well.  I can just see my instructor bursting through the door of the pro shop to go throw somebody out by the collar for acting that way.  :D

Anyway, I'm glad to hear that others are just as encouraging and protective of their beginner shooters.  :)

Offline theaccidentalsurvivor

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2009, 02:45:32 PM »
That really pisses me off.  My husband and I shoot trap competitively (that's shotgun shooting), and the fact that you're giving up after shooting once is really disappointing.

If you went shooting in October and you're STILL hurting, then you've broken or torn something, and you need to go to a doctor.  That was 7 months ago, and you should have stopped hurting 2 or 3 days after shooting.

And the fact that nobody showed you how to hold a shotgun so that you didn't end up with an injury.... well...  >:( >:( That's what really makes me angry.  What the hell were they thinking?

In any case - you're not "less than".  Stop thinking that way, and stop talking that way.  You're a WOMAN, not a little girl to f***ed with by bigger/stronger he-men.  And it doesn't surprise me that you don't want to learn from those jerks anymore.  I wouldn't either.  Your macho husband needs to purchase lessons for you from a good instructor.  Somebody who can put you on a 20 gauge with featherlight loads.  Or a 410.  If it's even that important that you learn how to shoot a shotgun (which it really isn't, unless you plan to compete, or hunt birds). 

What you need to do, darlin', is find a gun you feel comfortable with, and tell hubby to man up and pay for lessons.  A 22 is fine for you right now.  And your instructor can give you a better idea of what sort of rifle or handgun you might want after you have a candid conversation with her.  Don't let pomp and ass-hattery get in the way of being a survivor.  Get back on that horse!

I know this is in the ladys section, but heres my .02

The most disturbing part of that story was that hubby allowed it to happen...... Not trying to knock your man, but he needs to be knocked! If I had done something that idiotic to my wife, I can assure you that would be the end of our wedded bliss....... Sometimes common sense isnt very common

We have a hard enough time getting our wives involved in our hobbies, then to do something that can be potentially fatal...... *shakes head* Heck I wouldnt want to go shooting anymore either!

I pulled my wife on a tube behind a jet ski once and she was waving her hand, which I thought meant go faster....... yeah it didnt..... needless to say, she doesnt want me to pull her again..... this makes sense.

*thread hijack over*

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2009, 02:52:58 PM »
I know this is in the ladys section, but heres my .02

The most disturbing part of that story was that hubby allowed it to happen...... Not trying to knock your man, but he needs to be knocked! If I had done something that idiotic to my wife, I can assure you that would be the end of our wedded bliss....... Sometimes common sense isnt very common

We have a hard enough time getting our wives involved in our hobbies, then to do something that can be potentially fatal...... *shakes head* Heck I wouldnt want to go shooting anymore either!

Thank you very much for your .02, TAS.  You're welcome in the ladies section at any time.  No rules that say otherwise.  :)

Offline theaccidentalsurvivor

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2009, 02:54:55 PM »
just the unwritten rules  :P

Also, I know if you dont really ever shoot shotguns, it might work to try it out on a single-shot

less moving parts, just cock the hammer and pull the trigger.... simplicity is key!

I have a single shot 20 gauge my grandfather had when he was a kid, and I take that thing to shoot skeet...... its a fun shotgun.

Gloria

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2009, 07:59:49 PM »
I'm sorry you had such a bad experience.  KEEP on trying, but not with your husband.  I would find a trainer and learn. 
My guns are three 22's of different sizes one is a bra holster, one is a single shot and one is a rifle.
then I have a 9mm, 25  and my favorite is a38.
I prefer the 38 to open and concealed carry.  I can do 8 out of 10. I am working on 10 out of 10 with both hands.  I shot left handed even though I'm right because I had an accident and was ran over by a semi and my right arm doesn't like to shoot that much.
My old job required that I shoot a 12 gauge and so I can but I still remember the pain from that first training week on the job.
I like the 30-30.
I also have available to me the other family members weapons.  My husband has a glock that is his weapon of choice.  It's smooth and can shoot even after it accidentally got dropped in the dirt.  (Nother story)  Keep up the good work on the 22 and don't let them get to your own self preparations

Evie

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2009, 12:08:13 PM »
My fave handgun is my 9mm.  I am a good shot as well and do some competitive black powder shooting at the Mountain Man and Woman meets.  My fave shotgun is a 16 gauge, the kick is nothing like the 12.  Growing up I learned to shoot with a 38.  My all time favorite weapon is a flame thrower really ;D

I would suggest you buy a pellet/BB handgun (mine also shoot darts) and practice with it.  You can build up your wrist strength and work on your aim.  I got one from walmart for under 30.00 so my DD's could get use to the weight and the right firing stance. Plus you can use it as a great de-stresser tool. :o
Please don't give up.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 12:11:00 PM by Evie »

Offline BigDanInTX

• Reanimation Disposal Specialist
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Come Get Some!
    • Zombie Squad
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2009, 02:09:57 PM »
I put 4 macho men to shame with a .22 first time out.  BIG mistake.  They thought it would be funny to see how I did with a 12 gauge.  That was October...my shoulder is still sore and I only fired once.  Hubby is sooo sorry, yadda, yadda, yadda.  I KNOW they snicker about it yet.  Long story short, I don't have any desire to learn anymore.  I know under dire circumstances, I could do what I had to do, but I feel sort of less than, if you know what I mean.
It's stories like this that really piss me off.  People who could be labeled as "gun people" get a bad name because of assholes like them.  Instead of coming off as cocky idiots, they should nurture your desire to WANT to shoot instead of discouraging it.  I really hope you give it another chance and THIS time, go out with some people that won't hold it against you if you shoot well and they don't.  Those kinds of people you do not want to be around.

MightyRunt

« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2009, 03:20:34 PM »
I'll chime in with the consensus tht I hope you won't give up shooting after your bad experience. It's so important to find guns that are comfortable for you. If a gun isn't comfortable then you won't want to practice and if you don't practice you won't get good and if you're not any good then you might as well not have a gun at all.
      The guns I have are routinely demeaned by "gun people", but they're mine and I love them. Being a smallish woman, I have smallish guns. My handguns are a .22lr mini revolver, a Colt Cobra .38 special snubbie and a Llama .380 auto. My rifle is a Mini 14 .223 which is often called a poodle shooter, but I absolutely adore shooting it and have had outstanding results with it as a varmint gun.  We have a variety of shotguns, but they just don't give me the same pleasure as the .223.  I've shot most of DH's big old testosterone guns with mixed results, but leave them to him. Heck, why else keep him around except to shoot those big old guns to protect little me.  :D

Offline flagtag

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2009, 08:56:48 PM »

I think it would be really cool if you could try shooting a 12 gauge again - until you get REALLY good at hitting the target - maybe even better than "Hubby" and friends. 
I hope you don't give up. 

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2009, 09:05:37 PM »
I think it would be really cool if you could try shooting a 12 gauge again - until you get REALLY good at hitting the target - maybe even better than "Hubby" and friends. 
I hope you don't give up. 

flagtag does make a very good point.  :D  There are such things as featherlight loads.  It'd feel like shooting a light 20 guage.  :)

Sarahmae

« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2009, 11:39:17 AM »
Notsonutso -

There is always the option of buying from a 3rd party if you still want a handgun - unless Wisconsin law prohibits 3rd party sales...I know Minnesota doesn't yet and we (meaning our legislature) are a bit more liberal than you guys are (I hear you are catching up rapidly though). 

Also, like suggested, go to a range that has rentals and try out different guns until you find one that feels like "the one". I would suggest that if you are going to try out hand guns, don't grab for the ones with compact barrels - those will do a number on your wrists because of the recoil - I know they are "cute and little" but I made that mistake with my compact 9mm. I love that gun now, but I ended up getting used to the .22 loaners at the range before I could even handle the compact 9 for the 200+ rounds I would put into the targets (now that I have a few more brains in my head I don't go through nearly that much ammo the range, conservation is key).

I am glad to hear that you aren't giving up because of a couple of idiot men. When I first started going to the range I worried that the old range officers just saw me as a little girl - I didn't focus and I couldn't relax. I didn't like it, I was sore from fighting recoil and I wasn't going to go back. After some prodding from my boyfriend I did end up going back and I learned to just relax and block out everything going on around me (good eye and ear protection helps a ton with that). I stopped anticipating my shot and was able to absorb the recoil from the larger guns I shot. I eventually got pretty good and started getting compliments from the range officers that I was so afraid of (they are just stubborn old-timers anyways).  Get out there, relax and have fun (everything else will fall into line).

Offline EmmaPeel

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2009, 03:26:47 PM »
I haven't read through all the replies so forgive me for any redundancy. 

I think it's awful someone didn't take the time to make sure you had a good experience.  My suggestion is to find someone not related to you to teach you to shoot.  I'm sure with our connections here and on other boards, we can help you find someone near you happy to oblige.  If you're in the south, I can help out.  But, I think I saw you were in the north.  Start with a good .22 revolver or semi-auto like a Ruger Mark I, II or III.  Revolvers are nice because you don't need to worry about jamming issues.  But, the Ruger very rarely jams.  Then, a good instructor wanting you to enjoy shooting with go through with you to discover what else you'd like to learn to shoot.

I, personally, have several guns.  I shoot IDPA and USPSA (which are defensive pistol competitions), CMP (which is military rifle competitions) and 3 gun matchs (rifle, pistol and shotgun).  I carry concealed daily.  For the most part, I am never without a gun.  My husband, dad, and oldest daughter also compete.  We also shoot for fun and hunt.  Even our 8 y/o daughter has her own rifle/shotgun combo.  One of the things I have learned is there is not a gun I can't shoot.  Most people find that odd coming from me since I am barely 5 ft tall and 115 lbs.  I can shoot any gun when I learn how to properly shoot it.  That makes all the difference in the world.  I'm not saying I can eliminate pain from shooting some things but it is a short-lived reminder of how much fun I had.  But, with proper stance and sometimes equipment, anything is shootable for me.

Offline Kellib

• Survivor
    • homestead101
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2009, 07:55:43 PM »
Everyone should own and be able to properly use a firearm. Just because you own one doesn't mean you need to be on some list or even register it with your state. You should not give up your power to protect yourself. The state is not going to come in and protect you for free it will cost you your freedom

Notsonutso

« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2009, 11:49:13 AM »

Thank you all for your support!  I definitely don't have the craving to fire off a 12 gauge anymore, but I'm not a quitter either.  Hubby said he would pick up some featherweight loads; he said he never even thought about it for me, so that was an excellent suggestion.    At least the next time out, I will know what to expect.   

sage0925

« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2009, 12:18:33 AM »
My weapon of choice is a .40 Rugar 94 pistol. I'm a little bitty broad, so I have to shoot 2 handed. I have a 270 Tikka (did I spell that right?) rifle for hunting. I have to keep my arms and pecs built up, cause the stupid thing is heavy. It's the lightest rifle I've found that will still put down an elk.

I suppose I could use a lighter pistol, but I want to make sure that if (gods forbid) I have to use it, I want to make sure that person goes DOWN.

And, Notsonutso, if you want to use a 12 gauge for self defense that's easier to shoot, you might try a pistol grip. You can't hunt with them though...illegal. If you use a buckshot load, it will spray all over the place, so your aim needn't be that good. You really can't aim one of those anyway, but it's a good one for "close encounters". I have a Mossberg with a pistol grip that I keep next to the bed...I'm SUCH a romantic...lol.

Oh, and they sell shoulder saver pads at most places that sell rifles. They do save some wear and tear. If you are small like me, though, you may have some trouble finding one that fits well.
Sage

Offline derajer

• Survivor
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2009, 10:33:09 AM »
Ditto on not starting women, or anyone for that matter, on a 12 gauge. I let my wife shoot mine the first time she ever shot a gun, with a 3-inch magnum slug and no recoil pad. It was the only gun I owned at the time and I had started with shotguns, plus she is 5'9" 170 so I didn't think about it much. I certainly didn't mean to "show her" anything, I just handed her what I had and didn't even consider that it would such an unpleasant experience.

That was over a year ago and I am just now starting to get her to fire a .22.